Brake Upgrade

I don't think it will be straight bolt one...just by running part numbers, they don't appear to be the same.

Last edited:
Not even close to the same nor will adapting them be easy. Your two options are a Ford knuckle swap or a Dodge Dana 60 swap from a 00-02 truck.

I did that on my 97 and it worked. Swapped the hubs and rotors to the 98+ style, did the calipers as well.

I didn't notice a performance different, it's just WAY WAY easier to swap my rotors now.

*You have to plug the ABS port on the hub.

I did that on my 97 and it worked. Swapped the hubs and rotors to the 98+ style, did the calipers as well.

I didn't notice a performance different, it's just WAY WAY easier to swap my rotors now.

Did anything not bolt up? I would really like to do this to my tow truck. Always wondered what the difference was in the bearing itself that prevented you from doing it

Lets see some pics. Out board rotors didnt start till 2000 and they got dual piston calipers too. But the knuckles are backwards to the 99 down. Ball joint presses in knuckle and the taper hole is in axle housing. Where the 2000 and newer balljoint presses in housing and taper hole is in knuckle.

Lets see some pics. Out board rotors didnt start till 2000 and they got dual piston calipers too. But the knuckles are backwards to the 99 down. Ball joint presses in knuckle and the taper hole is in axle housing. Where the 2000 and newer balljoint presses in housing and taper hole is in knuckle.

I'll see if I can get some together. The way this came to be is, I needed rotors and hubs, didn't have much money (was in college back then), found some Timken hubs at the same time. I went to toss them on and realized the studs were too small, but the hubs bolted up.
I ran to O'Reilly's in the car with one of the hubs, found the rotors to match them and got the calipers that were made for that offset. I got back and bolted it all together. No issues.

I can't speak to PNs on this or exact years, but it was definitely different than my 97 stock stuff, and I've tossed replacement rotors and pads on since and just grabbed them from O'Reilly's again asking for a 98 setup. Maybe I've just got a Frankenstein and it seems to just bolt up and work well?

:Cheer:

I'll see if I can get some together. The way this came to be is, I needed rotors and hubs, didn't have much money (was in college back then), found some Timken hubs at the same time. I went to toss them on and realized the studs were too small, but the hubs bolted up.

I ran to O'Reilly's in the car with one of the hubs, found the rotors to match them and got the calipers that were made for that offset. I got back and bolted it all together. No issues.

I can't speak to PNs on this or exact years, but it was definitely different than my 97 stock stuff, and I've tossed replacement rotors and pads on since and just grabbed them from O'Reilly's again asking for a 98 setup. Maybe I've just got a Frankenstein and it seems to just bolt up and work well?

:Cheer:

I really hope it's that easy. I don't see how it would be any different to be honest and it would make life upfront so much easier

It's not. The 00+ axles use opposing ball joint angles. The 94-99 axles are inline ball joints with single piston calipers.

It's not. The 00+ axles use opposing ball joint angles. The 94-99 axles are inline ball joints with single piston calipers.

What's that have to do with the bearing ? No one is talking about changing the knuckle. Just bolt the bearing on and the brakes. I don't see what would change?

I knew they switched the knuckle brake set up in 2000. Looking to try to upgrade to a multi piston caliper. Doesn't look like there is much of an option for the 2wds.

The way the calipers bolt up is totally different. A 00-02 caliper i dont think will ever start to bolt to a 94-99.

What's that have to do with the bearing ? No one is talking about changing the knuckle. Just bolt the bearing on and the brakes. I don't see what would change?

It has everything to do with it based on how the caliper mounts as well as the rotor. The bearings are different, the rotor hat depth is different and the caliper attachment.

It has everything to do with it based on how the caliper mounts as well as the rotor. The bearings are different, the rotor hat depth is different and the caliper attachment.

Only thing I am to terrible concerned with is mounting the caliper. I just need time to run to a parts store and see what's needed. Rotors bearings ect can be swapped to get the right depth and offset I would think

Back