48re no reverse

coorsman2005

i like beer
As title says. My 48re in my 08. Shifts great going forward no issues no hesitation. Put it in reverse. You feel it engage. But don’t hold enough to back up. Let’s here some thoughts on how to fix it. Thanks guys

You probably don't have drive, either?

I had a truck do this same thing a few months ago and someone told me that one of the drums has a crack in it and it's leaking pressure by.

Mine wouldn't go into drive or reverse, but if I got into 2nd going down a hill, faster than 45mhp, and moved the selector from drive to neutral and back, then it would jump to overdrive.
Drove it from Gary, Indiana back home to Nebraska this way, towing a 1/2 ton with a tow bar, which made it interesting. :D

Mark.

Last edited:
Ok I will try doing some adjustments. If I put it in drive. You would never know there was an issue. Shifts great not sluggish or nothing. All is good till you park somewhere and forget you don’t have reverse. Then you fee like an idiot. I’m thinking it’s already about time for me to go back to the nv5600

Drop the pan and check the rear servo. The covers are known to crack or you burnt the rear band. If you did hurt the band you will see it in the trans fluid smell and color.

Sounds good I will check it in the morning. The night before I lost reverse I did do a big burn out. Drove the truck home no issues. Hopped in the next day and no reverse you can feel it engage but not grab enough to move the truck

Last edited:
You probably don't have drive, either?

I had a truck do this same thing a few months ago and someone told me that one of the drums has a crack in it and it's leaking pressure by.

Mine wouldn't go into drive or reverse, but if I got into 2nd going down a hill, faster than 45mhp, and moved the selector from drive to neutral and back, then it would jump to overdrive.
Drove it from Gary, Indiana back home to Nebraska this way, towing a 1/2 ton with a tow bar, which made it interesting. :D

Mark.

yea, that sounds like good times LOL

Well finally got a chance to mess with this truck. Drained the oil. A piece of a snap ring was stuck to the drain plug. Pulled the pan. Everything looks ok from there. Gonna drop the valve body either tonight or tomorrow

Well pulled the valve body went ahead and adjust the rear band. It seems very loose. It took 4 turns to get back and touch the band. I torqued to 72 ft ponds and backed off 3. Seems much tighter then it was. Should I go ahead and put a new billet reverse servo in. Doesn’t seem broke but I didn’t remove it I still have it apart. The fluid was burned a little. From what I read. You can pull the od unit. And slip a new rear band in if need be. Let me know some thoughts. I’m just trying to bandaid this one to work for a while till I get my other trans all finished up

Well pulled the valve body went ahead and adjust the rear band. It seems very loose. It took 4 turns to get back and touch the band. I torqued to 72 ft ponds and backed off 3. Seems much tighter then it was. Should I go ahead and put a new billet reverse servo in. Doesn’t seem broke but I didn’t remove it I still have it apart. The fluid was burned a little. From what I read. You can pull the od unit. And slip a new rear band in if need be. Let me know some thoughts. I’m just trying to bandaid this one to work for a while till I get my other trans all finished up

72 ft/lbs??

Well hell I didn’t realize the over drive housing had to be removed. To remove the piston. So I’m thinking I may just go ahead and order both bands and the rear servo. See if that fixes it.

When I took the rear band back loose. Then removed the snap ring. The piston seems very loos and will flop around in the bore. Don’t know if that’s Normal or not

No it's a common problem, get the upgraded rear servo as that's probably your issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Question about the accumulator piston. It fell out when I pulled the valve body. And I noticed it’s plastic. So im just going to go ahead and go billet. I have seen Them with 4 ring with blocker. And 4 ring With out a blocker. Which should I go with.

Well finally got a chance to mess with this truck. Drained the oil. A piece of a snap ring was stuck to the drain plug. Pulled the pan. Everything looks ok from there. Gonna drop the valve body either tonight or tomorrow

The piece of snap ring is probably from the OD direct clutches, if this breaks those clutches can't hold and you lose reverse.

That’s the info that is Bad but good to hear. So I when I pull the old od unit off. What’s it take to see the clip for the od clutches. I have another od unit.

The piece of snap ring is probably from the OD direct clutches, if this breaks those clutches can't hold and you lose reverse.
Wouldn't he lose all forward gears also if that was the case? Od direct is for 1-3 and reverse, and od brake is for overdrive. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back