Trouble choosing turbo

Are you the one that won the nhrda 10.90 index with the extended cab short bed? When the charger blew how far past its limits was it pushed?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is correct. I don't have any actual data when it blew up. May have been more of a backfire but it was definitely over sped as the wastegate had never opened(had air going to top of a heavy spring). In fact the compressor side was still in tact just blew the backside off. Normal drag racing on fuel only boost to drive ratio was about 55 boost psi to 60 drive psi. That was a with an 87 1.0 turbine side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super sonic threshold for the S472 SX-E is just over 120k RPM, it says 607m/s on the compressor map.

Last edited:
How is spool on that charger compared to the sxe? While i like the better flow i do like the spool of the 10 blade design

The true 72mm SX3 and the SX-E have the same peak flow, however the SX-E does have a bit of an efficiency advantage. I doubt you would notice much difference regarding "spooling characteristics".

Thanks for all the info and replies guys. Looks like ill be buying a new turbo here in the next week or 2 and see how it goes

I ran a GTA4294 on my Junker Drag Truck as a single years ago when it was a 100% stock engine setup with upgraded fueling. It would start to make a couple pounds around 2200 rpm and really take off hard around 2400 rpm. With a low stall converter, it was a little slower ET than a stock turbo but better trap speed. I saw a good spoolup increase and overall power increase when I traded it out for the He351/HT4B compound turbo setup.

Fast forward several years, I think a single 369 SX-E is much more fun, spools faster, similar power to that old GTA4294.

I ran a GTA4294 on my Junker Drag Truck as a single years ago when it was a 100% stock engine setup with upgraded fueling. It would start to make a couple pounds around 2200 rpm and really take off hard around 2400 rpm. With a low stall converter, it was a little slower ET than a stock turbo but better trap speed. I saw a good spoolup increase and overall power increase when I traded it out for the He351/HT4B compound turbo setup.

Fast forward several years, I think a single 369 SX-E is much more fun, spools faster, similar power to that old GTA4294.

I remember reading about that, you used a 1.28 T6 housing or something iirc. You can't blame the charger for poor performance because it had the wrong housing, it would've been a different animal with a tighter T4 turbine housing.

What are thoughts on going with custom units such as engineered, stainless, forced inductions, or presision?

It’s worth trying to get ahold of Chris at Engineered, I’ve talked to him a couple times and he’s always really helpful. I’m sure Weston could steer you in the right direction too.

It’s worth trying to get ahold of Chris at Engineered, I’ve talked to him a couple times and he’s always really helpful. I’m sure Weston could steer you in the right direction too.
Thanks, i always forget he does turbos as well

Well spoke with Weston for quite awhile this morning and got the turbo dilemma figured out, ridiculous amount of knowledge in his head and he was surprisingly open about it. Thanks again man

I got the S472 Weston recommended put on last night and his 6x.013s with added lift. The truck is an absolute riot, turbo comes up quicker than expected and pulls hard all the way to 4k. It clears up quick too, if that’s what you decided on I think you’ll be happy.

Well spoke with Weston for quite awhile this morning and got the turbo dilemma figured out, ridiculous amount of knowledge in his head and he was surprisingly open about it. Thanks again man

What did you end up going with?

I went with the sx3 72 with the 1.0 housing that weston recommended. Same as what zach is running

Back