Split x fer case

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Well got an idea running through my head. I want some more opinions to see if it is even worth it or not.
My idea is, to take a transfer case, and yolk it up to the back of my 2wd trans, in a divorced fashion. So that I will actually have a low range, and be able to use 4th gear.
Thought about removing the front output side all together and making a blockoff plate for it, but I think that might be more trouble than its worth.
What x fer case would be best for me to use? I have an NP205 out in the shop i was thinking about trying.
Any one see a problem with this?? Anyone see anything im missing or can improve up on??

Lynn

Why not just put in a NV241DHD?? You won't have to fab anything. Just don't hook on to the front yoke.

The output shaft on the NP205 will not hold up. I would just put a big rear end in the truck and run a real low gear in the rear end so that you can run fourth gear in the tranny. Will be easier on parts in the long run. Good luck.

Why not just leave the front shaft and let it spin free?
The old jeep tugs used to have a transfercase in them but they were only 2wd. I think they were locked in low range all the time.

205 is only 1.96:1, that may make a difference on what you want to use and your desired wheel speed.

I say go for it.

Why not just put in a NV241DHD?? You won't have to fab anything. Just don't hook on to the front yoke.

Might try that if I can run across one over the winter. That would be my best bet i guess.

The output shaft on the NP205 will not hold up. I would just put a big rear end in the truck and run a real low gear, will be easier on parts in the long run. Good luck.

Well I would do that but there are not any orginazations around here close that will let me run open drive line. So thats really the only thing thats keeping me from doing that as of yet.

Lynn

Lynn I forgot what gears do you have in the truck now.4th and low will make your gear ratio higher not lower.

bubba2400 he won't be able to get a low enough rear end gears to run 4 th

Lynn call me

Dale

a 241 would be best, but if you want to have 2 ratio's to run 2nd or 4th low we need to go back to a 4.88 gear instead of the 4.63. 4th low with the 4.63 may be too fast of a gear.

to run 4th and low you would need 5.13 and that is 14.15 finnal and that is still to tall of a gear.2nd and high would be 15.59 that is what most of the 3.0 truck are running for a finnal.I still thing that is whay Lynn need to run JMO.

Dale

smokinrod what are you trying to do I couldn't keep my mind on what I was typing with the picture you have for you avatar :woohoo:

Dale

That would be ok with a 2.8 or a 3.0 truck, but with is being a 2.6 truck and limited RPM down the track a 13.2-14.0 is ideal around here with the types of tracks and sleds we have.

yes I forgot your tracks don't bite like the clay we have up here.some time's that is good don't break as much parts unless your name is Lynn.

Just ribbing you there bud.

Dale

Hey lynn. Every thought about putting a 9 speed behind that 12v. I have thought about it but the final gear in it(9th) is just 1:1 but it wouldnt be bad on yours since its just a puller. I have also thought about trying to find a way to do away with 5th gear and fab up some type of splitter to replace it with. Go threw your 4 regular gears then hit the high side!:rockwoot:

Trying to shift gears in a manual truck down the track is a bad idea lol. I've seen it done, but 9 times out of 10 the outcome wasn't too pretty. That and even though it would be great to get a close ratio tranny in that truck, the rules wouldn't allow it because it would have to be out of a 1ton or less truck unless he went with an open driveline setup.

You could also use a 510,610,6610 the ratio are all 500rpm splits They are alot lighter than the 9sp.I have a RTO6610 in my Ford It is in a 1 ton:evil
Lynn and I talked about that yesterday.

Dale

Instead of running a transfer case in your truck have you looked into the Klune-V extreme underdrive units? I got an email from High Impact about these and emailed them. I'm trying to see what they think they can handle HP/TQ wise. This is the email I got. I've got a thread about it on ky about it as well. Dan said the Goliath is rated at 5500ftlbs. input. From the site On the other hand, the Goliath is intended for full-size, high-power hill climbing, mud boggin' pulling and tire spinning. Strength and unstoppability are the emphasis.

So if I did my math correct if you are making 1200ftlbs of TQ x 4.63 gears he will be really close with 5556. I would think that would hold together but I've been wrong before.

Waiting to hear from them. It has a one year warrenty and they claim it can handle extreme abuse. I think I did those numbers wrong. Its suppose to be TQxtrans gear ratio I was told.

Only thing about that though is it may not be legal to run is some organizations because its not an OEM style drive train.

Back