Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:59 PM   #1
Sudia247

Name: Sudia247
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
D&J Precision Head cracked in under 500 miles

Bought an HP Re-man 12v head from D&J, purchasing one of their cores for this.

Block was checked for flatness and it checked out perfect.
Installed with ARP 625 studs.
Engine still has factory injectors that came on 180hp pumps.
I was planning on doing a cold re-torque about 500 miles after intall if the studs settled.

Upon changing oil, i found there was coolant mix only under the valve covers. Rocker assembly looked fine. Oil drain looked normal, oil in the filter looked normal. but lots of sludge under each valve cover.

Cleaned the valve covers, drove for 5 miles warming up engine.
More sludge within that time.

Called D&J and they wanted me to pressure check the head for cracks under the spring pocket. I pressurized the cooling system and it does in fact leak from a crack under one of the valve springs. No oil in the coolant and only assuming little coolant in the oil as I found one crack but every valve cover was caked.

Yesturday D&J replied to my issue and said they can warranty this out since its so new but I need to pay shipping there and back.

Does this sound fair?

Maybe I'm just bitter since I already paid them $2,753 to have this head. I don't feel I did anything to sacrifice the integrity of the head at all. Thermostats work great, not a ton of fuel. I didn't even spin up high RPM waiting for the studs to settle.

They said they pressure checked this but i feel their system is faulty if this crack happened with the little stress i would have even applied to the head. I feel ripped off.

Last edited by Sudia247; 01-24-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:51 PM   #2
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What was the warranty terms and conditions when you bought it?

Old 01-24-2023, 11:40 PM   #3
Sudia247

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
What was the warranty terms and conditions when you bought it?
I never saw any on their website, and when I asked about that on the phone when I was ordering (Im paraphrasing since I dont have a script of the call) Josh stated that I shouldn't worry about anything as the only thing that will crack the head is too much heat, and that they'll make it right if something did come up.

Again Im paraphrasing from what I recall (as I could be biased) but that's how it went.

in the last email about the crack, Josh said "It definitley looks like it is cracked in a very common spot 12v heads crack at. Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent that from happening from what Drew was describing to me. We pressure-check every head before it leaves so it checked out good before it left the shop. I spoke with Drew about this issue and he is willing to get another one for you under warranty since you bought the head not very long ago. We could switch everything out if you pay the shipping both ways for the old head to get back to us and the new one to get to you. Does that sound fair to you?"

Old 01-25-2023, 12:11 AM   #4
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
They're right that it is very common for the factory 12 valve heads crack to the point where they leak. The 24v heads semm to usually not leak even when cracked. I'm surprised they had a core head with no cracks. Just sounds like pure bad luck.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 01-25-2023, 12:13 AM   #5
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
That sucks man, that's a lot to get it shipped both ways for sure. I think they should cover atleast one way, but seeing how low of miles on it I think I'd feel the same way and think they should cover both ways.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:15 AM   #6
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
I'd agree covering at least one way would be realistic.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 01-25-2023, 12:15 AM   #7
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
I was thinking about buying a head from them, but the majority of 24v heads crack whether they are remans or not. I really don't want to drop over 2k on a head just to go through this.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:25 AM   #8
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Policy attached. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/63d11175...ty_9-27-22.pdf
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-25-2023, 05:46 AM   #9
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
Page #5.

"Inbound freight must be prepaid by the customer to one of our distribution centers for warranty inspection."

Would seem fair that you at min pay return fright. Not sure about the replacement if they deem you didn't over-heat it and crack it.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 01-25-2023, 07:24 AM   #10
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Typical warranty clause if you ask me. Sucks for you only because it’s a big heavy product.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:16 PM   #11
Sudia247

Member`s Gallery
If it is just bad luck, I wish they would assure me that this wouldn't happen again..

Old 01-26-2023, 05:59 AM   #12
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudia247 View Post
If it is just bad luck, I wish they would assure me that this wouldn't happen again..
If vendors could promise things would never go wrong, we'd need no warranty. Take it up a notch to performance level, and usually, there is zero warranty.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:49 AM   #13
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
If vendors could promise things would never go wrong, we'd need no warranty. Take it up a notch to performance level, and usually, there is zero warranty.
Exactly. These heads are known to crack. I doubt it has anything at all to do with D&J’s workmanship and just luck of the draw. Send it back and get another one. You’ll be fine.

Closed Thread