Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Pit Area- OFF TOPIC FORUMS > The Swap Meet > For Sale > General Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel General Diesel For Sale Forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #21
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
You Interstate guys are surely joking JUNK in my experience. The ONLY reason the local parts guy uses them is the warranty

Old 02-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #22
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
So just how many brands are Johnson Controls?
I don't know for the number for sure, but Optima, Diehard, and Interstate are just some of the big names manufactured by JC. They all (brands) say they have their own specifications. In my case, I just know that Interstate makes it easy for us to keep and sell their brand. If they were garbage batteries, we'd have run them out of here long ago.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #23
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
This website shows a list of battery manufacturers from around the world and the brands they manufacture. I’ve always been told that there are basically three manufacturers in the US:
  • East Penn
  • Exide
  • Johnson Controls (bought by Clarios in 2019)

LEAD-ACID BATTERY MANUFACTURERS AND BRAND NAMES LIST 2021
by Bill Darden (Last Updated on January 1, 2021)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Last edited by BigPapa; 02-17-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #24
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
You Interstate guys are surely joking JUNK in my experience. The ONLY reason the local parts guy uses them is the warranty
Lots of farmers out here run Interstate. I've always heard good things about them; however, I tried them in my RV and can't make 'em last more than two years. I think my Inverter overcharges them though.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #25
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
Not in our case. In 30 plus years I've had very few returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Lots of farmers out here run Interstate. I've always heard good things about them; however, I tried them in my RV and can't make 'em last more than two years. I think my Inverter overcharges them though.
If your invertor is combined with a charger that's possible. Otherwise, all an invertor does is convert 12V power, thus draining the battery.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #26
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I've had good luck with 27series deep cycle marine batts.
84.95 a peice with core.

They don't have alot of crank amps, but work good and last.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I've had good luck with 27series deep cycle marine batts.

84.95 a peice with core.

They don't have alot of crank amps, but work good and last.
I just talked to my local battery shop yesterday about getting a new battery for my wrangler, said I was interested in a deep cycle because I winch a lot. He said deep cycles don't like alternators, and that they want to be charged and discharged like golf carts, mobility chairs etc. Interested in how long you've ran yours and what brand?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Old 02-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #28
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
I run X2's in my stuff. 5 year full warranty, not pro-rated. They're made by Northstar for Batteries + Bulbs at a lower price point.

X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup L6 5.9L 750CCA Diesel Car and Truck - SLI65AGMDPM at Batteries Plus Bulbs

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 02-18-2021, 01:24 AM   #29
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
I just talked to my local battery shop yesterday about getting a new battery for my wrangler, said I was interested in a deep cycle because I winch a lot. He said deep cycles don't like alternators, and that they want to be charged and discharged like golf carts, mobility chairs etc. Interested in how long you've ran yours and what brand?

The winch on my wrangler equals lots of engine revving and taking breaks. Those things take a toll quick! First out of 7 wranglers I’ve owned that even had one but it worked well when I was in the woods with two broke axles and 3 wheels.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #30
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post

No problem at all with alternators from my experience, been using deep cycles for yrs. The set in my truck now are on their 4th yr and still going strong.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 AM   #31
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
I run X2's in my stuff. 5 year full warranty, not pro-rated. They're made by Northstar for Batteries + Bulbs at a lower price point.

X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup L6 5.9L 750CCA Diesel Car and Truck - SLI65AGMDPM at Batteries Plus Bulbs

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Did they change their warranty? Says 48months
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:59 AM   #32
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
my camper will almost get 3 yrs out of one..almost the warranty..in that i use walmart cuz theyre easy to find if im on the road...i also think the inverter kills em.....mines always plugged in

in the truck i uses diehards tll i cant find em anymore and now using interstates..so far so good...

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #33
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
If your invertor is combined with a charger that's possible. Otherwise, all an invertor does is convert 12V power, thus draining the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
my camper will almost get 3 yrs out of one..almost the warranty..in that i use walmart cuz theyre easy to find if im on the road...i also think the inverter kills em.....mines always plugged in
It's a combo. When unplugged, the inverter runs on battery power, when plugged in, it charges the battery. The problem I think it has is that it has no temperature compensation so when the temps are warm outside or the battery is hot in the sun, it over charges the piss out of it. I'm threatened to put a cut-out switch and permanently mount a reliable trickle charger to fix this but haven't yet. I've also threatened to mount a trickle charger under the hood of the Dodge and wire it in permanently to the AC for the block heater. When it's cold and I plug it in to warm the motor, it charges the batteries at the same time with the same cord. Another idea I've has since 1999 and have never moved on.

Is it not fuk-tarded that things like batteries that are consumables cost $200-$400? This is dumb.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #34
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
I like that block heater/trickle charger idea!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 02-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #35
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
I like that block heater/trickle charger idea!
That's been in my brain for decades. If it cold enough to plug in....it's cold enough to add some electrons.

Or, put a selector switch on it. You can block heat, battery charge, or both depending on the switch.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #36
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That's been in my brain for decades. If it cold enough to plug in....it's cold enough to add some electrons.

Or, put a selector switch on it. You can block heat, battery charge, or both depending on the switch.
Get it wired up and send it to me, I'll beta test it for you!

Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #37
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Get it wired up and send it to me, I'll beta test it for you!
It's two wires on the AC side and two wires on the DC side. A freggin' cave man could strip wires with his teeth and wire this up....hence there is no excuse for me to not have it done already.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #38
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
Is it not fuk-tarded that things like batteries that are consumables cost $200-$400? This is dumb.

nobody makes money on shit that last forever.....duh

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #39
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
This website shows a list of battery manufacturers from around the world and the brands they manufacture. I’ve always been told that there are basically three manufacturers in the US:
  • East Penn
  • Exide
  • Johnson Controls (bought by Clarios in 2019)

LEAD-ACID BATTERY MANUFACTURERS AND BRAND NAMES LIST 2021
by Bill Darden (Last Updated on January 1, 2021)

Yup, it’s another “big 3” when it comes to batteries. Working for Cat, I of course lean towards Deka(East Penn) since that’s who makes Cat batteries. They’re tough as hell, but they don’t recover from a deep cycle well. If you keep them charged they last forever. I despise Interstate’s recycled garbage batteries but I actually have a couple in my 5500 service truck right now. I have even worse luck with AGM, gel, magic pixie dust, etc. batteries and it was easier for me to find Interstates in this group size with good old lead-acid internals. Time will tell....
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 02-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #40
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's two wires on the AC side and two wires on the DC side. A freggin' cave man could strip wires with his teeth and wire this up....hence there is no excuse for me to not have it done already.
Ok, well i don't do electric, so wire up an extra and send it to me!

Closed Thread