Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
2008 auto no crank

My 2008 won't crank unless you jiggle and hold the shifter in the neutral and put pressure on it. The gear shifter indicator is indicating correctly. Is there a separate neutral switch?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
thepitts5

Name: thepitts5
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
There is only one neutral safety switch, but there is also a shift interlock switch that works off of the brake pedal and it is adjustable. It is located on the steering column. It could be out of adjustment and causing your issue.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepitts5 View Post
There is only one neutral safety switch, but there is also a shift interlock switch that works off of the brake pedal and it is adjustable. It is located on the steering column. It could be out of adjustment and causing your issue.

How is the switch adjusted?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
thepitts5

Name: thepitts5
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Copy and pasted from service manual.

Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab (4) and the gearshift cable lock tab (3).
Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
Push the gearshift cable lock tab (3) down until it snaps in place.
Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
Push the BTSI lock tab (4) down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
Install any steering column trim previously removed.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate from off to lock.
Shifting out of PARK should be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force, and ignition key cylinder is in the run or start positions, unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12mm).
Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or lock position.
Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake with ignition switch in run or start positions.
Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
With shifter lever in the:
PARK position - Apply upward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
PARK position - Apply downward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply upward force on the shift arm. Transmission shall not be able to shift from neutral to reverse.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Well it looks like my edge CTS turbo timer was causing the issue. As that was the only thing that I messed with, and it seemed to make the problems go away.

The symptoms I was seeing
1. Low tire pressure indicator and red security LED coming on while driving
2. No crank in park, and it would crank in neutral if shifter held just right.

I have a secondary switch I have installed that works in parallel with the turbo timer. I can flip switch, turn off ignition and truck stays running. I notice when I use this that the low pressure and security will illuminate as I turn the key back on.

So that had me looking at the turbo timer, I just reseated them, so I suspect something in the expansion module of the CTS had been loose. Will update if it comes back...

Closed Thread