Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Diesel Performance Converters
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
Asher

Name: Asher
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Install report and carnage...

The install/build was done a couple weeks ago and everything seems to be working great. Before the tear down, the truck seemed to be working fine, just that I had a lot of slipping on the lockup clutch when rolling into the throttle. When I pulled the transmission apart things where ugly and not expected, the clutch packs where fused together and I had to put everything on the press and force them apart. The directs where toast, completely metal and so hot that two of them looked more like wave washers then fabric plates. The teeth of the disc ate into the splines on the input gear; somewhat rotated/stripped and ruined it (ready for replacement anyway)...

The tranny has the following:
-DPC triple
-Billet Input
-7 disc Red Alto direct pack
-5 disc Red Alto front pack
-Kevlar flex band
-Billet anchor and strut
-4.2 billet lever
-Sonax apply piston and servo
-TransGo kit with pressure screw turned up 2 turns (pressure 75-160)
-GM governor conversion (fixed my early shifting problem)
(transgo was installed to instructions, with only 1 hole drilled for lock up)

and
-HD SFI flexplate

WOW, when everyone says a tranny/ converter upgrade is worth it, they are not joking... The overhead lie-o-meter says a 1.5mpg gain, I haven't checked it by hand, but I can definitely tell a improvement (or lack of movement) with the fuel gauge...

Truck runs like it's 2500lbs lighter, shifts exactly when it should, nice a firm but not tire chirping, and lock up is nice and firm... Cruising, and hill climbing is now effortless instead of listening to a flaring up engine that wasn't putting the power to the ground it just holds rpm and chugs along. Now it seems like the tranny laughs at what ever the engine can dish out (stock 305/555 with Smarty SO6 and MP-8), before it would squeal at the slightest throttle and converter would slip the lock up clutch like crazy...

Once again I actually get excited about driving the truck just like I use to when I first got it... I can't wait to hook the trailer up and try it out when towing the jeep...

Thanks everyone for the build advice and thanks Phil for talking me into a triple disc instead of a single... No regrets, I hope this tranny last me for a long time...

Phil I hope you got my converter core back, I wasn't smart enough to write down the tracking number to verify it got to you...

Closed Thread