Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Chowderhead72

Name: Chowderhead72
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Another one bites the dust... Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=EvdErXitStE

Well that one only lasted 6k miles....

Truck stats: Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9, 4x4, G-56 (new trans installed 6k miles ago, CPP Extreme G-56) HP Tuners/Anarchy, sx62/sx476, stock pump, stock injectors, 6” long arm lift (BDS/Carli coils) 3.73 gears

What do you think broke? I’m thinking a built 48re is my next step.
05.5 2500 slt 4x4 QCsb g56 sx362/476 twins, Smarty S06 TNT, Spec ST Dual Disk, Diprocol fuel, pyro,boost, BDS long arm 6 inch, 37" Toyo MT's, Srt-10 hood, Amp steps, 8.5 Steering upgrade, Carli Low Damper, BD Steering Brace

Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ill try to be professional... CPP is garbage, they are the Ether Bros Of Performance parts sales. Horrible customer service, and horrible products. I learned my lesson years ago and to this day I continue to see people fall for their competitive pricing. Jamie and his company will never get another cent from me.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
spooled05

Name: spooled05
Member`s Gallery
Theirs pages on Facebook just for the people who got screwed with junk stuff by cpp, should have done better research before spending your money.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
All that said I went with CPP for a few reasons. They are semi-local so I could order my trans from them without having a bay tied up for days with my mechanic while also not having to pay 2k for a core charge. Also with them being semi-local I knew if something did go awry I could be on their doorstep without too much trouble. Personally I have had no issues with CPP but I’m aware many others have. In all honesty until the trans is opened up I can’t say what failed but I’m pretty sure the failure included the input shaft possibly other parts. If it’s only an input shaft it will be replaced with a mopar shaft ($800 vs Chinese $110), if it goes far beyond that I will jump on the “CPP Sucks” bandwagon.

In my opinion thus far I believe it comes down to the fact that I fought the odds and the odds won. The G-56 is a great transmission for 350hp/700tq or less; beyond that disaster is eminent no matter who builds it or sells it. I knew this going in and had planned to swap in a 48RE when (not if) this one went; I had figured I would get a little better than 6k miles out of this one however; live and learn.

The point of this post wasn’t to bash nor defend CPP but only to ask those that have been in a similar situation for some insight. I will say this however the trans was installed 23 months and 6k miles prior to failure and I was told after 1 year I have zero recourse (warranty) so I’m on my own with this one. I was nearly certain the warranty was for 2 years or 20k but I’m unable to prove that at this point.

My initial point was simply to ask “What do you think failed” and maybe a side order of suggestions on converting to automatic.

Also: does anyone find it odd that the trans failed when it wasn’t under load? The clutch was in, I was shifting from 3rd to 4th when it went out. It never made it into 4th gear, does this seem weird? Initially thought it might be the transfer case chain stretched under load and when it was released it bound up; Thoughts? What’s odd is the trans still shifts in and out of every gear just as smooth as it always has with the clutch in or out. I can let the clutch out in any gear with absolutely no grinding or crunching so that tells me it would be one of the following:

1. G56 Input shaft sheared off, clean break; gears not moving. But why doesn’t it shift perfectly clutch in or out engine running? Shouldn’t the non moving syncros keep this from happening?

2. The 273hd transfer case input shaft sheared off, clean break; trans working as it is supposed to? Seems unlikely considering the weakness of the G-56. The transfer case will still shift back and forth between 2h and 4h and N with no noise or grind.

3. The G-56 output shaft sheared off; clean break. Trans gears, syncros, and bearings are fine and spinning as they are supposed to but not spinning the transfer case. Seems less likely than scenario #1 and about as likely as scenario #2.

I have crawled under the truck and there are no leaks, cracked cases, holes, etc.
05.5 2500 slt 4x4 QCsb g56 sx362/476 twins, Smarty S06 TNT, Spec ST Dual Disk, Diprocol fuel, pyro,boost, BDS long arm 6 inch, 37" Toyo MT's, Srt-10 hood, Amp steps, 8.5 Steering upgrade, Carli Low Damper, BD Steering Brace

Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
I’m not sure why I can’t edit this post for errors but scenario #1 should read “Why Does it shift perfectly”.

Autocorrect changed “does it” to doesn’t which changes the question completely.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
G56s suck, it looks you knew that. Swap in a built 48re and go on with life, way way faster.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
I don’t want to quote you but the reason why it failed is because Jaime uses Chinese parts and will literally edit his warranty on the website while on the call. I went to court and actually won as I had a screenshot of the product warranty before he changed it. I know of a handful of people that have had good look with the g56. You don’t have to bash or defend him. CPP is trash, and that is why your transmission broke so easily

Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justappumped24v View Post
I don’t want to quote you but the reason why it failed is because Jaime uses Chinese parts and will literally edit his warranty on the website while on the call. I went to court and actually won as I had a screenshot of the product warranty before he changed it. I know of a handful of people that have had good look with the g56. You don’t have to bash or defend him. CPP is trash, and that is why your transmission broke so easily

holy ****
H-Town Off-Road

Old 07-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Chowderhead72, after having watched the video a few times, I withdraw what I told you in PM.
It's possible the clutch came apart, or the input on the transmission just snapped.

Pull the trans and you'll find your answer pretty quick.

Mark.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Chowderhead72, after having watched the video a few times, I withdraw what I told you in PM.
It's possible the clutch came apart, or the input on the transmission just snapped.

Pull the trans and you'll find your answer pretty quick.

Mark.
My money is on the input shaft as well. With any luck that will be the end of it but I’m rarely that lucky. The grinding as it came to a stop tells me there might be some third gear shrapnel also. By the looks of it changing the input shaft should be pretty simple, third gear looks costly and time consuming.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
young12valve

Name: young12valve
Title: teach me everything
Member`s Gallery
nv5600 if you still want a manual..
Where are you located?

Just spent some time on the BBB website reading about CPP, nothing good being said on there either.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
What kind of keyboard do you have? Better be willing to race it.
zf6 lly Lifetime member of the Comp D COAL ORALERS

Last edited by young12valve; 07-15-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by young12valve View Post
nv5600 if you still want a manual..
Where are you located?

Just spent some time on the BBB website reading about CPP, nothing good being said on there either.......
I’m in Damascus MD. About 10 miles south of Frederick.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowderhead72 View Post
My money is on the input shaft as well. With any luck that will be the end of it but I’m rarely that lucky. The grinding as it came to a stop tells me there might be some third gear shrapnel also. By the looks of it changing the input shaft should be pretty simple, third gear looks costly and time consuming.
When the shaft breaks at an angle, it comes across as a bad gear stripping sound. Good luck

Old 07-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
When the shaft breaks at an angle, it comes across as a bad gear stripping sound. Good luck
If that does prove to be the case, plan on bearing retainer and clutch damage, as well.
That it shifts and is quiet while sitting there running, says to me that the input probably broke clean, or the clutch came apart.

I'm assuming that you DON'T have the stock dual mass clutch in it anymore?

Mark.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #15
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justappumped24v View Post
Damn........

Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
Damn........
Read the bbb reviews!

Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
If that does prove to be the case, plan on bearing retainer and clutch damage, as well.
That it shifts and is quiet while sitting there running, says to me that the input probably broke clean, or the clutch came apart.

I'm assuming that you DON'T have the stock dual mass clutch in it anymore?

Mark.
Nope... Spec “ST” which has been a great clutch. It currently has 70k of abuse on it. It’s supposed to be good for 2500lb/ft and in perfect conditions I might be at half that at best. It’s a solid hub (non-sprung) so not incredibly quiet but has been rock solid since 2007. Odd thing though it works best with stock hydros; I have a set of southbend HD’s but the throw was all wrong so when the last new tranny went in I put a new set of mopar hydros in and all was well again. I did have to replace the pilot bearing once however but beyond that no issues.

All that said if the clutch is fragged I will be installing something a little lighter duty. Clutches are cheap... G56 parts not so much....

Bearing retainer? Transmission case that holds the input shaft I assume? Not the pilot bearing on the flywheel; right? I plan on replacing the pilot either way. Cheap insurance. I’ll have to look at the input shaft case bearing.

Last edited by Chowderhead72; 07-15-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #18
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Fingers crossed...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #19
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Mark Nixon:
This one? So this thing right? Front bearing retainer G56 Dodge diesel 6 speed transmission - C&M Gear Works

How is CMGearworks to deal with? Should I spend the $800 for the mopar input shaft or the $150 version?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #20
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Current clutch: SPEC Clutches Flywheels: Auto Parts, Domestic, Import, Truck, Racing, Drifting :: Results By Car

Big blue hunk of anodized blue aluminum bolted to a billet steel flywheel. When the trans is out it’s a piece of art. Highly reccomend... Less so on the CPP Extreme G56 however.

Closed Thread