Winter front, worth it?

FordRacing200

I have a 04 lb7, it's efi live tuned and has a straight pipe, intake, ppe boost valve, and this is going to be my first winter with it. I live in upstate ny and was wondering if it's worth it to buy one? Same goes for the ppe high idle switch ?

High idle is ok! I would never put a winter front on a truck...seen too many overheat issues caused by them. If you have a problem getting heat out of the motor replace the t-stats or whatever else is causing problems. Some trucks have a cabin air filter that plugs up and restrict air flow...mine did.

On my 12v's I remove the fan and stick cardboard in between rad and intercooler, and she still never gets warm enough to open the stat. I don't know where you're at, but some places its just too cold to warm these things up without hauling some weight.

EDIT: I'm originally from western ny. It shouldn't get cold enough there to need a front or cardboard. You should be fine with a minute or so of high idle. Save money and just wedge the snow brush between the seat and the pedal.

Last edited:
The bd high idle that we have is awesome. Love it. Then with the short drives the truck makes we put a little cardboard in it as well.

Again, a location would help. My brother in law had gel issues last winter with his 03, ran a winter front and it helped tremendously. But with a winter front you do need to watch your temps. Utilizing the block heater is also nice, you have heat almost instantly, cold starts sound much better and i never noticed any ill effects on my electric bill.

Back