LOOOOONG idles..

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
ok, i have been sleeping alot lately in my truck.

i pretty much live on the road these days.

hauling for my dads company is getting rediculous.

anyways, is it ok or am i hurting something letting it idle for about 4 or 5 hours while i sleep? i have done it 3 times and no problems so far.

chase n.

damn, i guess i should stop being stingy and use my perdium money on hotels then haha.

chase n.

why do you let it idle so long?

that cant be comfortable for long periods of time, yes, I think it is bad to idle at 700 or so for long periods of time.

get a hotel, I say

ChaseN said:
ok, i have been sleeping alot lately in my truck.

i pretty much live on the road these days.

hauling for my dads company is getting rediculous.

anyways, is it ok or am i hurting something letting it idle for about 4 or 5 hours while i sleep? i have done it 3 times and no problems so far.

chase n.

Well, I had to do a part time security job a while back where I had to just sit in my truck and watch the property for long hours at a time........It was hot so I let it idle with the AC on.......I got concerned myself and I called Cummins directly........The guy I spoke with at Cummins said as long as the temp. outside was not so cold that it wouldn't let the engine get up to operated temp., that it would NOT hurt the engine..............He said that I could let it idle for as long as I wanted!!!

That was straight from Cummins...............If idling is BAD then why do all the truckers do it setting at the truck stops and when they sleep.........I've always thought that Diesels could idle forever...

Just my 2 cents.........

I don't know why Cummins would tell you that, I talked with the local dealer's service manager a bit ago and they are about to start really cracking down on idle times and warranty claims.

Billysgoat said:
I don't know why Cummins would tell you that, I talked with the local dealer's service manager a bit ago and they are about to start really cracking down on idle times and warranty claims.

Don't ask me...........Call Cummins your self.................Lets see if you get a different answer........

well im sitting in a hotel room now.
i hated to have to used my perdium money. haha

only 4 more weeks of this sH!t!!

chase n.

Big Swole said:
If idling is BAD then why do all the truckers do it setting at the truck stops and when they sleep..............

If you listen closely the engine(s) will be @ a higher Idle. They may not sit at 1,000 RPM but they are in high-Idle mode.

I believe an 03+ Dodge has high Idle. Someone else might be able to help ya out here.

If you are going to idle it for a long time, might as well use the cruise control feature to speed up the idle.

Turn cruise on and hit the set button and it will go up to about 1100rpm. then you can use the accel button to increase the idle speed up to as much as 1500.

If you had a smarty in at any time, this feature should be enabled.

Chris

Yes, I believe so. Go give it a try and see what happens.

Press the "cruise" button, look for the dash light.
press the "set" button.
press the "Accel" button to gain RPM. Yo ucan press it once for small jumps or just hold it down until ya hit 1,500 RPM, where it stops.

I don't know if you need the Parking brake on or not???

Burner said:

press the "set" button.
press the "Accel" button to gain RPM. Yo ucan press it once for small jumps or just hold it down until ya hit 1,500 RPM, where it stops.

My Bully Dog TDDL had the option to enable it......I read in the manual that the dealer can enable it for you as well.....I guess most of the programmers out have this option..........

It works great in the winter time for heating it up faster before leaving the house........Try it...............

Big Swole said:
Don't ask me...........Call Cummins your self.................Lets see if you get a different answer........

I don't doubt you one bit, just seems strange that the Dodge dealers are being told by Cummins to crack dwn on long idle times and then turn around and tell you it's OK :bang

From what the service manager told me about half of the school dealt with what will reject a warranty claim and long idle was #2 on the list behind aftermarket modifications LOL LOL

Burner said:

press the "set" button.

I tried to set the higher idle today on my 2007 (6.7L) and it WOULD NOT do it.....although I just saw the part about the e-brake being set...will try that tomorrow morning.

Digger_717 said:
I tried to set the higher idle today on my 2007 (6.7L) and it WOULD NOT do it.....although I just saw the part about the e-brake being set...will try that tomorrow morning.

I don't know for sure on the 6.7, but on the 5.9 it has to be enabled. They won't do it right off the lot. You would have to get the dealer to enable it, or use a downloader that can turn the feature on, so to speak.

The reason i suggested it should work for chase is because he had a smarty in at one point, and smarty, even when returned to stock software will leave this factory feature enabled.

Chris

it didnt work guys?
i had to idle for 4 hours last night.

oh well, looking to trade her in again. :)

chase n.

take to the dealer and get it flashed in and it will work it works good. Do not know if that makes it ok to let the truck idle for long times.

Back