Installing a TS MP8 with my BDDL Crazy Larry..Anthing I need to Know???

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
I just ordered a TS MP8 and will be stacking it with my BDDL running Crazy Larry........Is there anything I need to know about possible problems and things to watch out for?

I just happened to be reading on the Duramax LBZ thread and those guys were talking about it causing codes to be thrown.......Is the Cummins gonna do the same thing????

youll be fine, youll trash your clutch or transmission though. Dont turn the MP8 over half, because thats to much pressure.

Without bigger sticks the mp8 will over pressure your rail. definately don't run it over 50%. Works great with bigger sticks!!!!!

CookCR said:
youll be fine, youll trash your clutch or transmission though. Dont turn the MP8 over half, because thats to much pressure.

Well, I'm having Garmon's do my tranny sometime in the next couple of weeks.....SunCoast converter, Billet Input and Flex Plate, Garmonized etc.

I should be fine after that , Huh?

sootman said:
Without bigger sticks the mp8 will over pressure your rail. definately don't run it over 50%. Works great with bigger sticks!!!!!

I'm still new and learning, so what happens if you go over 50% with stock sticks????

Injectors and a Better Turbo will be my next upgrade........Poss. 50 or 90 HP nozzles and Garmons recommended a High Tech 62/14 for my current set up......Any other ideas??????

BTW.....TS's website states that the MP8 WILL NOT over pressurize the rail......Whats up with that???........This is still my daily driver and I want it to stay reliable, so If 50% is the max ya'll recommend then that's what i'll do.......

Thanks for the help fellas!!

The resistor in the MP-8 will not allow the Rail Pressure to exceed the manufacturer's Spec which is like 28,000 psi. I ran my MP-8 on 100% with stock injectors stacked with smarty for roughly 10,000 miles and never a problem. I notice many people say it goof's up stock sticks, but I still have yet to see an injector failure due to the MP-8.

Ultimate Diesel said:
The resistor in the MP-8 will not allow the Rail Pressure to exceed the manufacturer's Spec which is like 28,000 psi. I ran my MP-8 on 100% with stock injectors stacked with smarty for roughly 10,000 miles and never a problem. I notice many people say it goof's up stock sticks, but I still have yet to see an injector failure due to the MP-8.

this is the quote off there web site.
Question: What is the max fuel pressure that the MP-8 will produce?

Answer: The TS Performance MP-8 does not exceed 26,000 psi of fuel rail pressure. The factory fuel rail pressure can be ran 29,000 all day long and not damage anything. ( That info came direct from BOSCH).

now, i have seen well over 26k with there box and i have very big sticks, so that little resistor idea is BS, i saw my rail psi guage maxed out with this box, and it was very soon in the rpm range--about 2500rpm, so that tells me it's making a lot of pressure. the only box i've ever tested that does not make more than 26k is the VA 3.1, but it's down fall is that it wont make a lot of power. the TS will, recently i have had a bad spell of TS boxes that will throw over boost codes, i've had two sent out to fix the problem and it still does it, im not sure what the deal is with that. it will only throw the code when the dial is turned at 1/4 to off, anything above that and it's fine.???

As everyone else says, stay below 50%. I have a rail gauge and have owned 2 MP8's...both of mine also had problems. MP8's are soo handy because you can adjust pressure at the turn of a dial. Heck, I may even buy one again.

unless you like the the rattle and ping of high rail pressure than don't run it over 50%. i can't run mine over over 15% without pegging the rail gauge,(which is only accurate to 27500psi). I have my stg 3 pump and a max rail so rail drain is not a poblem. I haven't seen any injector problems due to the mp8, but high rail pressure in a CR makes my skin crawl. If I wanted to hear that I would buy a 24V.

I really appreciate all of the advice fellas. I am really taking all this in, but i have a few more questions.

What happens to a CR if the rail pressure is run to high? What is the pinging that Sootman is refering to?

When and if I get a code, (I've never had a code come up on my BDDL) what do you do then......Say, like the over boost code that someone mentioned??? Does the code make the truck run bad until you clear it?

Oh yeah, (MP8 UNRELATED) What is torque management and what are people talking about when they say the deleted or got rid of it????? What does it do for performance????

DIESEL POWER said:
now, i have seen well over 26k with there box and i have very big sticks, so that little resistor idea is BS, i saw my rail psi guage maxed out with this box, and it was very soon in the rpm range--about 2500rpm, so that tells me it's making a lot of pressure. the only box i've ever tested that does not make more than 26k is the VA 3.1, but it's down fall is that it wont make a lot of power. the TS will, recently i have had a bad spell of TS boxes that will throw over boost codes, i've had two sent out to fix the problem and it still does it, im not sure what the deal is with that. it will only throw the code when the dial is turned at 1/4 to off, anything above that and it's fine.???

Wow, thats interesting. I have dual fuelers and TS MP-8 and have never seen the pressure rise above 27,000. We've installed many, many of the MP-8's and never had a complaint of above normal rail pressure. And also the MP-8 does use resistors to control the voltage to keep the pressure in check. Unless your capping your rail, then I could see where your getting your high readings from. Caps are like time bombs waiting to happen.

BIG SWOLE said:
Oh yeah, (MP8 UNRELATED) What is torque management and what are people talking about when they say the deleted or got rid of it????? What does it do for performance????

Torque Management is a safety feature built into the ECM. Basically it defuels the engine if there is a difference in torque between the engine and output of the transmission. Can be deleted by the Bully Dog, Diablo Sport, Smarty(only 3/4 of it.) and a few other tuners. C5 Claims it will remove it, but from talking to them, they said they can't completely get rid of it.

Never had any problems (codes) from the mp8. Have you heard a 24v idle? that is what your truck will sound like at WOT. high rail pressure is hard on the inj. bodies. just use common sense when it comes to your truck and you won't have any troubles.

DIESEL POWER said:
no rail cap here, just a relife valve! duel pumps and rail caps are a bad idea.

*WARNING* Whomever is using Wade's computer....STOP, you're making him appear Intelligent! :doh:

Back