Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Power Probe 3 opinions

Im looking to gain some real world opinions on getting a power probe 3 set up along with the gold leads and the open test item that's wireless (forget the name) that they have in a master kit.

I found a new master kit with the carbon fiber PP3 for 220 shipped.

Just curious on your guys review on them. My uncle loves his.

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
I have one and I love it. You won't regret it if you do any electrical testing on boats, rvs, etc. It has saved a TON of time already and I haven't had it long.

Tobin

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
cumminz90

Name: cumminz90
Title: Cant leave um alone
Member`s Gallery
One of the best most handy tools ive bought so far, its one of those tools you don't know how you've got by without it. I deffinatley recommend you get the master kit i bought just the probeIII and plan to trade it on the master kit.

Pump by Seth
Valve train from Hamilton Cams
Injectors Infinite performance
Head by C-tech performance
Other Parts From EATSOOT, Cooler Tubz, Autometer, SCS, extreme studs

00 Jetta Tdi 3in kerma exhaust
04 Ram 3500 tow rig

Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
wdimig

Name: wdimig
Member`s Gallery
Dustin i sell at least one of those kits every week, the power probe 3 is a very handly tool, it saves alot of time diagnosing electrical problems, the ability to see battery voltage, voltage drop across a load, apply power to a device to see if it works, find ground, power, open circuits all with one tool, it's nice. there are acutally 3 kits offered from power probe, the stand power probe 3 kit, which has just the tool, a extra add on lead set, the 12v dc adaptor, and the probe end for the tool, the next kit up has all that plus two different sized wire piercing tools that are of a twist design, and some extra leads. the final "master" kit has everything plus the ECT2000 circuit chaser. The ECT 2000 is a awsome tool, it does exactly what it says it does, it will find a break in a wire, or a short to ground on any wire located in a vehicle. it works by hooking up a device to the circuit in question, it then emits a signal throught the wire that will be used by the tracer box, the tracer box emits a beeping signal, the signal gets stronger the closer you get to the wire, you don't actually have to hold it on the wire to get a signal, you can be a couple of inches away from the wire and it will pickup the signal, now the neat thing about the "locator" box if you want to call it that, is that it can actually determine the direction of where a wire is going in a harness. For example, you come to a junction in the harness, and your unsure of which way the wire goes at the junction, just use the tool to follow the harness, if after a couple of inches past the junction you loose the signal, just back track untill you find the singal again, which will probably put you back over the wire harness junction now follow the next branch of the junction and see if the signal stays, if it does you've found the direction that the wire is heading, now say your follwing and harness and you lose the signal, but there no junction in the harness, you've most likely found the problem in the wire, because the signal in the wire will end at either the break in the wire, or where it is shorted to ground. i had a cust. that used to tool to dianose a brake light that was out on a late 80's chevy truck, he had no continuity in the harness, broke out that tool, and followed the circuit, he lost the singal about 1/2 way under the pickup bed, located the wire in the harness, but to his suprise the wire appeared to be good, the then used the tracer to really pinpoint the loss of the signal on the wire, once he found that, he cut the wire to find it had corrorded internally even though the wire sheath was still intact. he swears it's the best damn tool he's ever bought. Hope this helps! the master kit is well worth the money. if you have no way of getting one, PM me, and we'll talk, i can drop ship anywhere in the lower 48.

Wes
2010 Ram Mega cab, Deep water pearl blue/tan two tone, Cooper ATP's, Retrosolutions 55w 4300k HID's, ARP 625's, GDP S3 intake horn/grid reloc. & air boss plate, S&B intake w. scoop, Sinister Egr del., H&S MM w. OD tuning, Dia. Eye 5" TBE, 437/963 @ 2013 Fall Brawl

Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
One of these is definitely on my list of tools to buy next.
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
What I'd like to have:

Automotive Multimeter | Automotive Digital Multimeter | Automotive Multimeters by Fluke Corporation

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
Had one for years. My favorite electrical tool. Used it today actually.

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
jeremy153624

Name: jeremy153624
Member`s Gallery
They work great, Love mine

1998 VW Jetta TDI, bone stock, 44 MPG on its worst day

Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
I bought the master kit but dont really know how to use the short finder. Pretty much only use the probe, extension, alligator clip plug and cigarette lighter adapter.

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
bosshogg

Name: bosshogg
Title: Running with the best...
Member`s Gallery
I have a pp3 with the extra lead set and I love it!!! That being said, I just saw the Hook tool from power probe. If I didnt already have a PP3 I would be all over the Hook. Its supposed to take the place of a DVOM and even does some oscilloscope work for you. Look into it before you pull the trigger on that PP3

Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
05chevy

Name: 05chevy
Title: gear head
Member`s Gallery
I have a pp2 and I would be lost with out it.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Member`s Gallery
I think im going to pull the trigger on the PP3 master kit. I looked into the hook but I have a snapon 596 iirc meter already. It has the USB cord and everything. I'm just trying to find a more efficient way to go at electrical gremlins.

The only issue I have thought of on these units it's if your testing sensors and wiring you need to be positive on the voltage of the sensors. I can see someone putting 12v to a sensor that might only need 3v-9v to operate. I honestly don't see me doing this but there is always what if I forget. I have heard a few guys that burnt up computers, but I feel that's user retardedness

I know I won't be one of them but it's always a thought in my head.

Adding another question.

What's a master kit worth to you? I have found them cheaper but I want to see what you guys think is a good deal. Also I talked to a guy that will make a master kit with any choice of coloring for me. Thinking the carbon fiber one

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Last edited by HightechRedneck; 09-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
akoch209

Name: akoch209
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Awsome tool i use it almost every day

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Chevycummins

Name: Chevycummins
Title: Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Member`s Gallery
Straight from power probe is cheaper than I found on any tool truck. I have the master kit also it works great to diagnose things. Especially being able to supply ground and voltage.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
kalder

Name: kalder
Title: Kevin Alder
Member`s Gallery
I have been eying those too!

I have a power probe 2 master kit. I use it maybe once every two years. Really cool tool, just 85 percent of the electrical work I do is test light work. The other 15 percent is multimeter work.

03 3500

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
I have a powerprobeIII but that Fluke would come in handy! A powerprobe works well to simply check circuits for continuity and function from a single ended point of view.

A good meter does so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Dazed&Confused

Name: Dazed&Confused
Title: Surfing my own world
Member`s Gallery
Ive been contemplating buying one of these myself.
2004 CTS-V

Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
morkable

Name: morkable
Title: Just Over Broke
Member`s Gallery
Wes, what kind of price could you do for me on one of these? And would you ship to Canada?

Closed Thread