Found another lathe and mill.

RonA

Picked up a 3/4 scale Jet J head milling machine and old South bend lathe yesterday. Don't need them but hate to see usable iron go to waste. I'll clean them up and see if I can find a use for them.

This wasn't anything fancy, but would be handy for someone to have in a garage or small shop. I'll ask around and find a home for both without too much trouble.

A Lathe and Mill are on my list of wants when I get a garage I can have a workshop in plus what I have now. I keep watching for them on marketplace, and have seen a few that would be exactly what I want, but being able to store them until that day makes the juice usually not worth the squeeze.

For $200 each I figured I'd pick them up and take them home. The mill needs X and Y axis handles, and a little cleaning. Both have been kept inside and don't have any rust. The lathe looks to be complete, but the wires are disconnected. Mill came with an old vise(not angle lock) and a hand crank rotary table. One of the aspiring gunsmith guys will grab them up most likely.

Wow. I'd love to find an old mill of decent size for $200. That's amazing.

Ron, what type of mill or machine would you recommend to bore 1" or 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" holes into metal like .25 thk plate or channel or angle iron? I have a small drill press but it won't spin a hole larger than .625 with a twist drill. I don't have any of those fancy annular cutters either since I don't have a way to spin them.

What would be something to keep my eye out for that would do those types of tasks when I need them done?

I made templates for one of my neighbors so that he could cut holes with his plasma cutter. Just .093 thick sheet metal with a hole in it that guides the tip of the plasma cutter.

Sweet find. The deals are always better when the price is almost free for good equipment that will be put to use. Is the J series belt driven head? Looks like you will need a tool post.

Jory, annular cutters and a decent mag drill. Just go ahead and invest in both. Thank me later.

I put it on facebook marketplace yesterday and sold them both in 4 minutes.
Didn't even have to bring them home.

I put it on facebook marketplace yesterday and sold them both in 4 minutes.
Didn't even have to bring them home.

That's great! I wish that mill was coming to my house....but I got enough irons in the fire. I should take up forging. LOL

Back