Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
KX5

Name: KX5
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
What should i buy, or NOT buy??

Hey everyone. New to the forum obviously but I am trying to get some info.

I currently have an Early 99 7.3L Powerstroke with 340,000 miles(I bought it at 147k miles). I'm looking to get a newer truck but all I know about diesel is what I researched when buying my 99 and that was the early 6.0 Powerstroke was no good.

I can spend around 20k, would like 2012 or newer if possible, and don't have a preference between dodge, chevy, or ford. All though with how well my ford has held up I am partial to them. I'm in construction so I will tow some but not much, and it needs 4x4.

I guess I'm looking for anything I shouldn't get. similar to "Don't buy a 2003 6.0" back when I was getting my 99. Are there any trucks that I should stay away from that are 2012 or newer??

Also, I'm not in a huge rush so if there is something I should wait to find that may be a possibility also.

thanks for your help everyone.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Ugly Dodge

Name: Ugly Dodge
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
The 6.0 isn’t a bad motor If you enjoy working on your trucks. It’ll take some HEUI mastering to get it where it’s ok to trust it when towing. Lots 6.0s with nice bodie. Lots of info on how to fix. Lots of aftermarket parts/solutions available. (Compare FoMoCo headgaskets to Fel Pro for a quick lesson)

If you don’t want to wrench, I’d do a 2010-2012 Cummins. Upgraded frames. Bigger U joints. The last years without center axle disconnect. Manual transmission option if that’s your thing. I’m like you. I don’t favor any of the big three as a whole.

But.. I’m not a fan of V8 diesels. I’m not a fan of Independent suspension. You’ll never find a better 4x4 than Ford Superduty. Or frame. The electronics seem to be harder to master than GM/Ram.

Trucks to stay away from 2012 and newer? Rams got the CAD. Something to factor. Not sure if it even has issues. The AISIN transmission is optioned 2013 and after. I would highly recommend a AISIN truck. All the 6.7 Powerstrokes are better than the Navistars.

My .02$

Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Dodge View Post

But.. I’m not a fan of V8 diesels. I’m not a fan of Independent suspension. You’ll never find a better 4x4 than Ford Superduty. Or frame. The electronics seem to be harder to master than GM/Ram.

Trucks to stay away from 2012 and newer? Rams got the CAD. Something to factor. Not sure if it even has issues. The AISIN transmission is optioned 2013 and after. I would highly recommend a AISIN truck. All the 6.7 Powerstrokes are better than the Navistars.

My .02$

My 2010 Dodge I worked on almost as much as my 95 with 375K miles...Newer dodges haven't been the best to me.

I have been driving GM since 2013 and will never go back to the Cummins. The reliability isn't what it used to be, and in anything 2009 and newer you don't need ANY more power to tow than what they have stock. So, if I'm driving stock (or maybe stock deleted) then the Duramax or the Cummins is equally as reliable. We have a few 2009 Duramaxes with better than 300k on them that we have never laid a wrench on the engine or transmission...brakes and a few wheel bearings. We all know Dodges eat those!

As for Ford, the seats suck unless you have a BASE model truck, and the engines are worse. Never is a long time, but I'll not own a Ford that I plan on having to drive, or pay to maintain. Ford does have a good axle up front, but given that we have put over 300K miles on IFS and never had to align one, I'll stick with what works!

BTW, when I say tow...Our trailer weighs 11,800lbs EMPTY, and I'll put 30K+ lbs on the deck and not think twice to drag it behind my Duramax.
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Last edited by Signature600; 07-01-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
KX5

Name: KX5
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info. I should have stated that I plan on leaving it stock. I modded the crap out of my 99 and it was fun, but now I just want something reliable.

So it sounds like there isn't anything major after 2012 to stay away from other than a few things like a CAD ram if those are having issues.

Thanks for your replies

Old 07-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Ugly Dodge

Name: Ugly Dodge
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
My 2010 Dodge I worked on almost as much as my 95 with 375K miles...Newer dodges haven't been the best to me.

I have been driving GM since 2013 and will never go back to the Cummins. The reliability isn't what it used to be, and in anything 2009 and newer you don't need ANY more power to tow than what they have stock. So, if I'm driving stock (or maybe stock deleted) then the Duramax or the Cummins is equally as reliable. We have a few 2009 Duramaxes with better than 300k on them that we have never laid a wrench on the engine or transmission...brakes and a few wheel bearings. We all know Dodges eat those!

As for Ford, the seats suck unless you have a BASE model truck, and the engines are worse. Never is a long time, but I'll not own a Ford that I plan on having to drive, or pay to maintain. Ford does have a good axle up front, but given that we have put over 300K miles on IFS and never had to align one, I'll stick with what works!

BTW, when I say tow...Our trailer weighs 11,800lbs EMPTY, and I'll put 30K+ lbs on the deck and not think twice to drag it behind my Duramax.
Chris
My beef with IFS is that they aren’t as locker friendly as solid and OP did stress 4x4. Towing: I’m sure IFS holds up fine with proper maintenance. No real beef dmax. A dmax express van hasn’t been ruled out as a extreme 2wd tow vehicle for myself. 4l85 & Dana Super 70. Really finding good deals on buses; under 10g like clockwork. Any repairs I’ll have to do on the dmax will be a learning experience.

I totally agree anything over 2012 needs no power adders. Just deleted.

I stand by the used BMW method for all engine options. Gas or diesel. Mechanical skill makes this less relevant. Which is why it’s very relevant to me!

Old 07-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
With a Dodge, unless you're at the track, it is IMPERATIVE that you stay away from the solid, non CAD axles.
Ask people who have exploded the front driveshaft about the resultant damage and cost.

Mark.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Dodge View Post
My beef with IFS is that they aren’t as locker friendly as solid and OP did stress 4x4. Towing: I’m sure IFS holds up fine with proper maintenance. No real beef dmax. A dmax express van hasn’t been ruled out as a extreme 2wd tow vehicle for myself. 4l85 & Dana Super 70. Really finding good deals on buses; under 10g like clockwork. Any repairs I’ll have to do on the dmax will be a learning experience.
:
He didn't say anything about lockers and off roading, said construction...meaning getting in and out of muddy jobsites. Sounds a lot like when we get in and out of fields here on the farms we work on equipment on.

Personally, I'm not owning anything that I have to get my lazy butt out of the truck when I'm stuck, to lock in a set of hubs so I can get out of where I am. It's 2020, there are other ways to do it.

IMHO,
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
He didn't say anything about lockers and off roading, said construction...meaning getting in and out of muddy jobsites. Sounds a lot like when we get in and out of fields here on the farms we work on equipment on.

Personally, I'm not owning anything that I have to get my lazy butt out of the truck when I'm stuck, to lock in a set of hubs so I can get out of where I am. It's 2020, there are other ways to do it.

IMHO,
Chris

Exactly, if I have to lock my hubs it’s not a 4wd. I have full lockers on a semi and all it does is dig more holes so it’s harder to pull out with a chain. I’ve found it’s easier to just stay out of places that this is an issue.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
I told our 17 year old at work the other day I'll give him a life lesson...NEVER use 4wd to go somewhere. Drive in 2wd until you can't go anymore, then use 4WD to go backwards and go home. Don't go there if you can't go in 2WD,

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I told our 17 year old at work the other day I'll give him a life lesson...NEVER use 4wd to go somewhere. Drive in 2wd until you can't go anymore, then use 4WD to go backwards and go home. Don't go there if you can't go in 2WD,

Chris
Good advice! Reminds me of an old guy talking about getting his first fwa tractor, said it was awesome, back into wet spots with the mower in 2wd until it slipped, engage the front and pull out. Worked great until he forgot to disengage the front before backing up one time, said he was real stuck then!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Today’s IFS 4wd front suspensions are stout for a stock or mildly modified diesel. My ‘14 Chevy is IFS, the ride is wonderful. Turn the knob for a 4wd shift and off we go. I do like the auto 4wd for heavy rain or snowy driving.

I knew a girl who’s dad drove a 04 4wd Duramax all over south Texas to almost every oil pad site. He read meters at the sites. Miles of gravel roads, every day. I drove that truck once at 350k on stock front end components. I couldn’t believe how well it drove. Any solid front axle would have every joint changed twice in conditions that he drove.

He and I got along great, his daughter not so much.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Closed Thread