Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
brucer

Name: brucer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Question Driveline Shudder 2012 Mega Cab

What's better, lower carrier bearing or go to the one piece drive shaft?

when I talked to the dodge parts guy he reads off the dodge one piece description 'tip' which says "do not use one piece driveshaft in place of two piece to correct driveline shudder" ROFL - nothin like recognizing a problem and doing nothing about it. ...apparently lotta guys have this shudder even at stock height. One piece is over $900 from the dealer.

The shudder happens every time I accelerate from a dead stop.
'12 Ram 3500 SRW MC Longhorn Rambox | Black Maxx, deletes, nav/OD unlock, H&S intake boost tube, GDP grid delete, ARP 625's, 5" SS TBE w/Aero Turbine, aFe cold air, full 3" Carli suspension, Silent Armors on 20" M19's

Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
rolncoal82

Name: rolncoal82
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
One piece it and be done there's cheaper places

Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
triton

Name: triton
Title: Scarlet Fever
Member`s Gallery
ladder bars or a rear stabilizer will help. It's because the rear end is so light and the transferring TQ to the wheels. I've seen a lot of guys happy going with a one piece. You can get a custom shaft here......

http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i429.html

Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
brucer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post
ladder bars or a rear stabilizer will help. It's because the rear end is so light and the transferring TQ to the wheels. I've seen a lot of guys happy going with a one piece. You can get a custom shaft here......

http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i429.html

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but do you mean a rear sway bar by 'rear stabilizer'?

I put a 3/4" spacer made from flat bar between the bracket and my carrier and the shudder has disappeared - guessin I'll be callin doghouse at some point though.
'12 Ram 3500 SRW MC Longhorn Rambox | Black Maxx, deletes, nav/OD unlock, H&S intake boost tube, GDP grid delete, ARP 625's, 5" SS TBE w/Aero Turbine, aFe cold air, full 3" Carli suspension, Silent Armors on 20" M19's

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
holsky

Name: holsky
Member`s Gallery
Hmmm... My boss has been telling me that is '10 just started to do this. But he says it shutters when he comes to a stop or when he takes off. I wonder if this could be the same thing??

Might have to look into this for him. Its sad that these trucks need extra crap to fix sh!t from the factory. And my boss' truck only has 40K on it.

Last edited by holsky; 04-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
triton

Name: triton
Title: Scarlet Fever
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer View Post
Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but do you mean a rear sway bar by 'rear stabilizer'?

I put a 3/4" spacer made from flat bar between the bracket and my carrier and the shudder has disappeared - guessin I'll be callin doghouse at some point though.
Yeah, I meant rear sway bar. The new truck may have them?? I put one on my truck when I first bought it and it helped a lot. Got rid of the wheel hoop and shutter. A one piece would definitely help but, may not get rid of all of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
sledshaker

Name: sledshaker
Member`s Gallery
Did you put the spacer between the carrier bearing and the support?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
brucer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by holsky View Post
Hmmm... My boss has been telling me that is '10 just started to do this. But he says it shutters when he comes to a stop or when he takes off. I wonder if this could be the same thing??

Might have to look into this for him. Its sad that these trucks need extra crap to fix sh!t from the factory. And my boss' truck only has 40K on it.
It would be worth a try, was pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post
Yeah, I meant rear sway bar. The new truck may have them?? I put one on my truck when I first bought it and it helped a lot. Got rid of the wheel hoop and shutter. A one piece would definitely help but, may not get rid of all of it.
Mine didn't come with one anyway, I'll have to look for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledshaker View Post
Did you put the spacer between the carrier bearing and the support?
Yep, here's what I did:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
gdh11

Name: gdh11
Title: Army Lifer
Member`s Gallery
My 2011 has the same problem

Closed Thread