Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
brucer

Name: brucer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Question Front Drive Shaft angle/vibration 2012

So I raised the front of my truck approx 3.25" with the carli springs and I had no noticable front driveshaft vibrations, then I added the carli control arms to position the axle properly again and after doing that I immediately got a front driveshaft vibration starting at 45 MPH. The vibration disappears when I remove the driveshaft. I had the driveshaft balanced and it is now within 2 oz on each end (was out 25 one end and 23 the other from the factory).

I would rather not do an indexing ring but is there anything else I can do? ...I've heard these 4th gen front drive shafts just don't like any angle at all due to the bigger u-joints.

Please don't tell me I haven't disengaged my four wheel drive properly. I have. The front driveshaft ALWAYS turns on a 2012. Sick of calling so-called pros to have them tell me that...
'12 Ram 3500 SRW MC Longhorn Rambox | Black Maxx, deletes, nav/OD unlock, H&S intake boost tube, GDP grid delete, ARP 625's, 5" SS TBE w/Aero Turbine, aFe cold air, full 3" Carli suspension, Silent Armors on 20" M19's

Last edited by brucer; 04-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
nkfry

Name: nkfry
Title: Nick
Member`s Gallery
Unfortunately the 4th Gen front shafts were garbage balanced from the factory and I've seen numerous guys get their shafts balanced only to find out that they have a runout issue. The only real fix for your vibration is a new shaft or an indexing ring.
01 ECLB/Edge Comp/ Airdog II 165GPH/ Jammer 2's/ Autometer Ultra-Lite Pyro, Boost, Fuel Pressure/ 4" Turbo Back/ Suncoast Billet Single Disc/ Suncoast VB/ Transgo Shift Kit/ BD Intercooler Boots/ S&B CAI/ Shibby High Idle Box/ Rigid Industries

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
brucer

Name: brucer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Any recommendation on good new shaft for a 4th gen?
'12 Ram 3500 SRW MC Longhorn Rambox | Black Maxx, deletes, nav/OD unlock, H&S intake boost tube, GDP grid delete, ARP 625's, 5" SS TBE w/Aero Turbine, aFe cold air, full 3" Carli suspension, Silent Armors on 20" M19's

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
nkfry

Name: nkfry
Title: Nick
Member`s Gallery
I would have it checked for balance and runout first, and if the runout is what is causing the issue you'll need a new shaft, a good example is balancing an egg, sure it's possible but its never going to roll straight and smooth like a sphere.
01 ECLB/Edge Comp/ Airdog II 165GPH/ Jammer 2's/ Autometer Ultra-Lite Pyro, Boost, Fuel Pressure/ 4" Turbo Back/ Suncoast Billet Single Disc/ Suncoast VB/ Transgo Shift Kit/ BD Intercooler Boots/ S&B CAI/ Shibby High Idle Box/ Rigid Industries

Closed Thread