Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
joelc79

Name: joelc79
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
EFI and 68re tunning Q

Those of you who are using EFI live with your 68RE what trans controller are you using? I have a mini maxx now with overdrive software. I would like to sell the mini maxx to recoop some money on the efi. If i do so i loose my H&S overdrive tune.
I was considering an ATS copilot, BG tuned tcm or do i buy a XRT with just overdrive software.
Would the install or driving ability of any of these effect the download or operation of the EFI Live?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
2007 5.9

Name: 2007 5.9
Title: West Coast Dyno Modifier
Member`s Gallery
A TCM tune is the only way for now...Suncoast/BG...

68RFE tuning from a box won't work with EFI, you need to have the TCM itself tuned
silverbullettuning@gmail.com
www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
DaveMatthews

Name: DaveMatthews
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelc79 View Post
Those of you who are using EFI live with your 68RE what trans controller are you using? I have a mini maxx now with overdrive software. I would like to sell the mini maxx to recoop some money on the efi. If i do so i loose my H&S overdrive tune.
I was considering an ATS copilot, BG tuned tcm or do i buy a XRT with just overdrive software.
Would the install or driving ability of any of these effect the download or operation of the EFI Live?
You don't have to loose ur od software. You can keep it and sell the mini. I'm running efi and the od tune right now. Just took a little bit of tweaking. But she's all good.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
joelc79

Member`s Gallery
Care to explain? I'm about to pull the trigger on a tcm tune..

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Care to explain? I'm about to pull the trigger on a tcm tune..
Return your mm to stock and watch what it does. It removes the ECM tuning first. Once it does that, it connects to the TCM and returns it to stock too.

You have two ways around this. (TCM is located on passenger side firewall, has two plugs going to it, they do have a little retainer clip, it pulls towards the front of the truck to unlock it, then you can pull the clip)

1st- and safest- is to pick up a spare tcm, or borrow a buddies that doesn't have the OD software. With the key off and your tcm tuned, unplug it and plug in the spare. Return the mm to stock. Unplug the spare and plug in your tuned one. (You don't have to pull the tcm out of the truck, just unplug it, the spare can sit on the fender well)

2nd- The way I've done it on around 10 customer trucks and probably 20 times on my truck. With the tcm tuned (mm installed) turn the key off and unplug your TCM. Get back in the truck and turn the key to the on position. DO NOT START IT. I locked up one by accidently starting the truck. Just put it in the on position. Then return the MM to stock. It will return the ECM to stock and then try to communicate with the TCM. Give it a minute to make sure its trying. It will say something like "Communicating with Transmission, please wait" or something like that. When your sure that its done with the ECM and trying to find your TCM. Unplug it. Turn the key off. Get out and plug your TCM back in. Make sure you plug it in correctly. I've never got the plugs crossed so I don't even know if they can go backwards. But plug it back in and start the truck. Plug the MM back in and you'll see its ready to be installed on any truck. Now you can read and flash your ECM with EFI.

There's a little bit of tweaking that needs to be done on some different OS's to make efi live work with the H&S OD. But it does work and works very nicely. Its kind of hit or miss which one's need it and which one's don't. Atleast with what I've noticed with my customers..

Don't be scared of doing it either way. I've done it a bunch. In fact I just removed a BM last week for a customer and did the same thing. He's running the H&S OD tune and EFI now.

If you have any questions, shoot me a pm with your number and I'll call you and walk you through it. Main thing is don't start the truck with the TCM unplugged and above all, don't unplug it with the truck running.

Last edited by DaveMatthews; 03-18-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
joelc79

Member`s Gallery
Interesting, thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Interesting, thanks.
yup. Don't be scared. As long as you keep the key off anytime your unplugging and plugging in the tcm, along with not starting it without it being plugged in. your good. I've explained it to atleast 20 guys on CF and they all get nervous. But have yet to have a problem, except for mine. I unplugged the TCM with the motor running. (Head up arse day) and locked it up.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
HSPerformance

Name: HSPerformance
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthews View Post
Return your mm to stock and watch what it does. It removes the ECM tuning first. Once it does that, it connects to the TCM and returns it to stock too.

You have two ways around this. (TCM is located on passenger side firewall, has two plugs going to it, they do have a little retainer clip, it pulls towards the front of the truck to unlock it, then you can pull the clip)

1st- and safest- is to pick up a spare tcm, or borrow a buddies that doesn't have the OD software. With the key off and your tcm tuned, unplug it and plug in the spare. Return the mm to stock. Unplug the spare and plug in your tuned one. (You don't have to pull the tcm out of the truck, just unplug it, the spare can sit on the fender well)

2nd- The way I've done it on around 10 customer trucks and probably 20 times on my truck. With the tcm tuned (mm installed) turn the key off and unplug your TCM. Get back in the truck and turn the key to the on position. DO NOT START IT. I locked up one by accidently starting the truck. Just put it in the on position. Then return the MM to stock. It will return the ECM to stock and then try to communicate with the TCM. Give it a minute to make sure its trying. It will say something like "Communicating with Transmission, please wait" or something like that. When your sure that its done with the ECM and trying to find your TCM. Unplug it. Turn the key off. Get out and plug your TCM back in. Make sure you plug it in correctly. I've never got the plugs crossed so I don't even know if they can go backwards. But plug it back in and start the truck. Plug the MM back in and you'll see its ready to be installed on any truck. Now you can read and flash your ECM with EFI.

There's a little bit of tweaking that needs to be done on some different OS's to make efi live work with the H&S OD. But it does work and works very nicely. Its kind of hit or miss which one's need it and which one's don't. Atleast with what I've noticed with my customers..

Don't be scared of doing it either way. I've done it a bunch. In fact I just removed a BM last week for a customer and did the same thing. He's running the H&S OD tune and EFI now.

If you have any questions, shoot me a pm with your number and I'll call you and walk you through it. Main thing is don't start the truck with the TCM unplugged and above all, don't unplug it with the truck running.

This procedure is NOT supported by H&S. Now that we know customers are exploiting our software capabilities, we have issued a tech bulletin for our guys to watch for TCM / ECM / H&S Product failures. If we see the tell tale signs (yes we will know), you will have no warranty and be responsible for your own damage.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
DaveMatthews

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSPerformance View Post

This procedure is NOT supported by H&S. Now that we know customers are exploiting our software capabilities, we have issued a tech bulletin for our guys to watch for TCM / ECM / H&S Product failures. If we see the tell tale signs (yes we will know), you will have no warranty and be responsible for your own damage.
I'm curious as to how this is exploiting anything?? I paid for the software. I can't transfer the software to another buyer when I sell my MM/XRT. So how is this doing anything wrong?? I agree that there are risks associated with it. But I feel that you (H&S) are exploiting us by not allowing us to keep something that we paid for. I know your going to say, we'll you can keep the xrt/mm for trans tuning only. But that's not going to wash. As I (the customer) bought it originally or ECM tuning. I (again the customer) added the TCM tuning option for a set fee. You won't refund that fee when I decide to sell the Unit. You won't allow me to use that tuning on another truck, like you do on the OD Tuning.

I understand you didn't design it this way. But claiming that we are exploiting anything is wrong. This is the whole problem with this country. Just because you design and make it, you feel you have a right to dictate how its used. Now you can deny warranty (that is your right), but you set a reasonable price on it. You didn't lease it to me. You SOLD it to me. Its mine to do what I want with as long as I don't breach any applicable laws concerning copyrights, etc...

I've always supported H&S. Especially with the OD tuning. And I have a TCM sitting on my bench that is fried. I didn't send it to you because I did it (while switching to efi live, I like everybody else wanted to keep my od tuning). I still have my xrt though unlike some.

I think a reasonable request can be made to allow a customer to keep tuning that isn't able to be resold. Instead of requiring a new user to purchase it all over again, maybe let it be transfered. I see the exploiting coming from the company and not the end user. Your double dipping.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Kdubya

Name: Kdubya
Title: 4Given
Member`s Gallery
Well said Dave. I agree 100%.

Closed Thread