Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel Discuss the 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesels here

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Huntingman27062

Name: Huntingman27062
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
6.2/6.5 into my Jeep XJ swap

theres a 6.2 diesel engine with a TH400 tranny mounted to it at my local army surplus.... he wants only $1500 for it with only 13k original miles... im currently building a cherokee XJ trail rig that im in the middle of installing ford D44 up front and ford 9in rear... the reason this works well is advanced adapters makes the motor mounts for a SBC to the cherokee... which from what i understand is the same as the 6.2... and a adapter for the TH400 tranny to the 231 jeep transfer case...

my question is...
i know alot of people say they would do a 6.5 swap before a 6.2... but the 6.5
is computer ran and i think this would be just as difficult as like a LS1 swap or something... am i right? or is it really pretty simple? im basically rendering the XJ's stock wireing useless... which is fine... dont have emissions here anyways and its probly soon gonna be a trailer queen... but i dont want to deal with mashing the XJ's wiring with the 6.5's wiring... this is why i like the idea of the 6.2 alittle better as a 6.2 with some goodies will be plenty of torque for a little bitty XJ...

any thoughts and ideas would be great!! Thanks!!

Heres a pic of current form and id like to do the motor swap BEFORE a cage just to make sure things fit... i may just tube out the front anyways... lol... and its missing axles at the moment... Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (127.1 KB, 12 views)
2003H.O. 4 door 4x4 long bed, H1 2 Piece steel wheels/37's, Garmens Tranny And TC, Intake/Stacks/Guards/Rain Caps, Boost Elbow, Fuel Pressure/EGT's/Boost gauges, In Tank Pump Conversion (yuck but i didnt pay for it), Industrial Injection Stage I CP3, and MP-8...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
high toned sob

Name: high toned sob
Title: No Smoke
Member`s Gallery
A 6.2 would make that jeep move on really well. They are extremely easy to wire up and make run. In 93 you could get a mechanical 6.5, or you could get a 6.5 and put a mechanical DB pump on it. 6.5's were bad for cracking heads inbetween valves, 6.2's did it also but not as bad. IMHO, a 6.2 can run just as well as a 6.5, but they have to be even. You can get more fuel easily from a 6.5 because they are electronic, but you can get just as much from a older 6.2, just have to get dirty.
Think of it as swapping in a 12 valve or a Common Rail. Both have good potential, just different ways to get there.
I don't want to sound like a bragging jerk, but I do know quite a bit about the 6.2's if you'd like more info about them let me know. I am currently building a supercharged 6.2 at the shop. Low compression pistons, some of my own little tricks, and a pretty whiney EATON supercharger (roots style).
They are great motors if you keep expectations REAL. Remember, your dealing with 25 year old technology. Pre-cup chambers, 22.5:1 compression, no oil squirters. SO keep temps to 1100*, and think 200hp 400ft.lbs, with great reliability, insanely cheap to maintain, and good economy.
98 S10 blazer solid axle 6.5 project, turbo or super?
97 ram 2500 12 valve built auto 4x4 sclb

Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
hey yeah thanks alot! when i get one ill deff keep in touch... it looked like wiring it in only consisted of 3 wires or so on the top of the engine... thats all i noticed anyways... a side from like the alt and ac compressor... do you think this is a good price as well? i think it is anyway... its out of a blazer or k10 or whatever... maybe even a hummer... one of them anyway... i was in the marines myself and from what i understand these motors were swapped for new ones like every 6 months and the old ones were sold away... i could probly talk him down... maybe bring a grand in cash... but i plan to strip the wiring all out of my jeep and redoing it all with only the bare amount and moving the fuse box up to the glove box... for water crossing and spraying out the floors... but this would be sweet with the 6.2 i think... as easy as it comes...
2003H.O. 4 door 4x4 long bed, H1 2 Piece steel wheels/37's, Garmens Tranny And TC, Intake/Stacks/Guards/Rain Caps, Boost Elbow, Fuel Pressure/EGT's/Boost gauges, In Tank Pump Conversion (yuck but i didnt pay for it), Industrial Injection Stage I CP3, and MP-8...

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Rollin Coal

Name: Rollin Coal
Title: Fabricator
Member`s Gallery
i wouldnt waste you money on a boat anchor 6.2/6.5

leave the 4.0 or get a 4bt

Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
i like the idea of a 6.2 better than the 6.5 motor myself. BUT, you can probably get a good 4bt or even a VE pumped 6bt for 1500 bucks. i think the 6.2 is a good reliable motor, they aren't a powerhouse and your not gonna crush the dyno, but they do get good economy and they have wicked torque and throttle response due to the compression ratio

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Coal View Post
i wouldnt waste you money on a boat anchor 6.2/6.5

leave the 4.0 or get a 4bt

yeah ok... give me $4k for a 4bt then... ill be running 37s so the 4.0 isnt enough...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Rollin Coal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingman27062 View Post
yeah ok... give me $4k for a 4bt then... ill be running 37s so the 4.0 isnt enough...
theres one forsale on here for 2000.

theyre on ebay all the time for 12-2200.

and, ive been wheeling jeeps for quite a while. gear the axles.

plus a 4.0 prolly makes more torque than a 6.2 anyway.

you good old wikipedia

6.2- 143hp 257lb/ft
4.0- 195hp 235lb/ft

Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFP12valve View Post
i like the idea of a 6.2 better than the 6.5 motor myself. BUT, you can probably get a good 4bt or even a VE pumped 6bt for 1500 bucks. i think the 6.2 is a good reliable motor, they aren't a powerhouse and your not gonna crush the dyno, but they do get good economy and they have wicked torque and throttle response due to the compression ratio
ive read up on the 4bt but you cant find them for no $1500... im a big craigslist, searchtempest, and ebayer and they all are around like $3k to $4k with 200k on the odo... this make them crappy candidates for a swap in something im gonna roll a few times and then probly have to buy another and swap everthing over to a fresh body... XJ'sare unibody so even with a cage they tend to crack here and there... and a 6bt just isnt going to fit...

im not looking for 1/4 mile power... im looking for reliablity when im 50 miles deep in the woods... decent fuel milage is always nice... and if something does go wrong i need something i can carry minimum parts and repair in the field... also need it to fit without cutting the firewall all out and rebuilding.... this leads me to the 6.2 and 6.5 only... thats why i asked about these 2 motors and not the 4bt or any other motor... just trying to find out how much more difficult it would be to swap the 6.5 over the 6.2... thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
theres one forsale on here for 2000.

theyre on ebay all the time for 12-2200.

and, ive been wheeling jeeps for quite a while. gear the axles.

plus a 4.0 prolly makes more torque than a 6.2 anyway.

you good old wikipedia

6.2- 143hp 257lb/ft
4.0- 195hp 235lb/ft
i looked on ebay and i do find some that will probly end around 2k... the ones i saw on my craiglist (local) were 3k to 4k though... and these prices are for just the motor... the 6.2 comes with the original tranny and only 13k miles... price of a 4bt with this... lots more then 1500 im sure...

and acouple CHEAP mods to the 6.2 and itll turn way more then the 4.0... only way to get good power from the 4.0 is to run the stroker kit.. but now that people have been getting miles on there stroker they all wish they had spent the money elsewhere... nothing but problems... i think the 4.0 is over rated... nothing but problems in my eyes... crank position sensors suck, injector wireing always having issues... head gaskets pop all the time... 99-02 0331 heads cracking... there over rated and just plain suck... only good thing is there a dime a dozen... lol... i know its about gearing also... but having both power and proper gearing is a good thing...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Rollin Coal

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i looked on ebay and i do find some that will probly end around 2k... the ones i saw on my craiglist (local) were 3k to 4k though... and these prices are for just the motor... the 6.2 comes with the original tranny and only 13k miles... price of a 4bt with this... lots more then 1500 im sure...

and acouple CHEAP mods to the 6.2 and itll turn way more then the 4.0... only way to get good power from the 4.0 is to run the stroker kit.. but now that people have been getting miles on there stroker they all wish they had spent the money elsewhere... nothing but problems... i think the 4.0 is over rated... nothing but problems in my eyes... crank position sensors suck, injector wireing always having issues... head gaskets pop all the time... 99-02 0331 heads cracking... there over rated and just plain suck... only good thing is there a dime a dozen... lol... i know its about gearing also... but having both power and proper gearing is a good thing...

have fun with your boat anchor

while your moving backwards why dont you throw some leaf springs under the front of it too.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
4wheelpeel

Name: 4wheelpeel
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
i know this is an old thread but if your still thinking about this you might as well find a dana 60 to throw in there if your gonna run agressive 37s. if you consider loggin roads wheelin then a dana 44 is fine. but the added weight is gonna snap those axles in a heart beat if you plan on doin anything challenging.
97 cummins 5spd 4x4 dually, bhaf, #10 plate, mpi 62, 4k, south bend, haisley's, ats manifold, gauges, timing, blah blah blah...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
its only 100 pounds difference... and im building the dana44 first... plan on fun trail riding... im not a crazy rock crawler...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

while your moving backwards why dont you throw some leaf springs under the front of it too.
and your just an idiot... im not drag racing the XJ...

Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
4wheelpeel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
its only 100 pounds difference... and im building the dana44 first... plan on fun trail riding... im not a crazy rock crawler...
right on, i love seeing diesels out on the trails. yea you should be fine then and you can always upgrade later if needed.

also when you do your cage are you going to build a sub frame or beef up the unibody? they fall apart after a couple years of wheelin.
97 cummins 5spd 4x4 dually, bhaf, #10 plate, mpi 62, 4k, south bend, haisley's, ats manifold, gauges, timing, blah blah blah...

Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
4wheelpeel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

a leaf spring setup very well can flex just as much as coil springs if done right.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelpeel View Post
right on, i love seeing diesels out on the trails. yea you should be fine then and you can always upgrade later if needed.

also when you do your cage are you going to build a sub frame or beef up the unibody? they fall apart after a couple years of wheelin.

im beefing the unibody... front to rear... cutting out the rockers and welding in 2x6 steel for rock rails also... tieing in the cage with the front and rear bumpers, frame, and rock rails... but with the chopped top and door mod(can take doors on and off no tools)it wont be much heavier then it was stock... should be pretty stout...

and yeah ive seen alot of people actually swap the leaf srprings under a cherokee and add sliders... it flexis like crazy... but people who dont REALLY wheel dont know this

Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Wellused

Name: Wellused
Member`s Gallery
Those power #s are peak.Under peak,at say 2000 rpm,that 6.2 will be putting out twice the tq of that 4.0.I have put 100s of thousands of miles on 6.2/6.5 engines.And with FAR less expense than any diesel engine you can find.If after 86 vintage with the short style injector,you can slap an entire turbo setup off a 6.5 for a couple hundred bucks.The are indirect injection and run a tad warm.EGTs and no piston squiters are not a problem,you wont be able to load it enough on the trails for it to be an issue.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Wellused

Name: Wellused
Member`s Gallery
I did replace my 6.2 with a 4bt/getrag/200 case.Yes the 4bt is stronger...heavier....more expensive..parts arent laying around and the motor mount hassle...adapter plate to adapt trans..$2500 for a 4bt,$650 for a fresh Getrag,$450 for a Vickers vac/pwr steering pump,$450 clutch and had to purchase a used flywheel and bellhousing..probably 5K for installation ...and it does no better on the trails than the old 6.2 (a $300 one)

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
Huntingman27062

Member`s Gallery
lol... yeah see... id rather just stick with the 6.2... i dont even plan on doin a turbo anymore i dont think... most everything i need will have to be on the low end... turbos dont spool till higher RPMS's so it really wont do me a whole lot of good... except street driving... but depending on how everything comes out will depend on if it ever goes on the road... if it rides like **** then itll stay on the trailer... lol...

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
4wheelpeel

Member`s Gallery
i pretty much gave up on tryin to build a rig for street and trails years ago. what i want for the trails, cant really be driven on the road where i live.

Closed Thread