Dodge dealership service shop...

So I went to the dealership today for a recall with my throttle cable off my 96 cause it started to fray again. I received a call about 6 hours later saying that they can't replace my cable without me fessing up $800 in parts plus labor. So my first thought is WTF :soap: ?! I ask the service writer why do I need this for a RECALL? He proceeds to tell me that the bracket that holds the ball from the throttle cable now has too much play and the new recall part socket doesn't fit the one I currently have. Of course I don't believe this all through a service writer telling me so I tell him I am on my way to see it for myself and have the mechanic actually show me what he did.

I get there and I do have some play in the bracket that he shown me whether or not it was that bad before he touched it. But what amazes me is that the recall part really doesn't fit the older style ball I have and the new one on the cable is all plastic. Me being me I tell them to pound sand and I will do the work myself, and purchase the cable (might of made a mistake by doing this dunno yet).

Now I have a question on whether or not there is a way to make this work with what I already have and maybe try and shim it to reduce some of the play? Or should I try and find the parts I have posted on the picture? :bang :bang

I really would like to make what I have work but if someone with some more insight than I have at the moment could chime in and point me in the right direction I wouldn't mind having top buy all new but only if I have to. I will try and post some pictures and measurements of the old and new parts to help reference this.

Attachments

• Scan0003.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
i had the same problem on my 98.5 different setup but theyre similar. I had mine snap in half one day while in town because PO had jerryrigged it. So i went and bought one a used one on ebay but it was a piece of junk since it was all tangled up. The second one i bought from the dealer for about 45 bucks and replaced it myself, it was a pain in the butt getting thru the firewall and attached to the pedal, other than its fairly easy to DIY.

Yea I purchased the cable recall kit they sell for $16 but it doesn't include any of the bracket pieces which now have some excessive play in them at the ball connector area. So I need to figure out what I need to do with that. I have no problem doing the work for the throttle cable itself. It is being able to fix the current linkage to work or buying a new/used one that will work with the throttle cable I purchased from the dealer I am trying to justify.

Last edited:
Most of the time it's the plastic bushing in the upper bell crank that go bad. Those are cheap. You can also purchase new balls for the rod ends. I'll run that info you PM'D me and let you know something asap.

Couldn't be more appreciative about what ya do here Snedge lol. I would buy ya a case of beer if you were on my side of PA haha

The bushings (#5 in your picture) cost a couple bucks apiece at Dodge. If you got the CANZ9700 kit it has a new ball for the linkage and a couple more for the throttle rod.

This is the recall instructions for the canz9700
Recall #970 - throttle cable

The bushings (#5 in your picture) cost a couple bucks apiece at Dodge. If you got the CANZ9700 kit it has a new ball for the linkage and a couple more for the throttle rod.

This is the recall instructions for the canz9700
Recall #970 - throttle cable

Changed over the ball and cable today with the items from the Canz9700 kit now I just need the bushings to help reduce the lateral play I have now. Glad I did it when I did after the morning drive I was left with 1 thread holding on for dear life on my old cable lol

3914353 is the Cummins part number for the bushings.( you'll need 2) Should be under 5.00 each.

Awesome!! I am just now hoping they WILL correct that side to side play and not need the actual bracket that holds the ball chambers for the throttle cable and cruise control. Wish I would of took a little more care when I was in there with everything out on how bad the bracket really was.

I got those bushings from Snedge and it tightened up a lot of play I had in my throttle linkage. Would definately recommend it....takes mere seconds to swap out.

I got those bushings from Snedge and it tightened up a lot of play I had in my throttle linkage. Would definately recommend it....takes mere seconds to swap out.

Awesome I am glad to hear that worked for you, now its my turn to tighten her up

Back