12V engine build opinions

Protrusion is .025. (-/+ .0015)
Shallowest valve is .043 (varies from .043-.047)

With a stock compressed gasket thickness of .058 I should have between
.072-.078 piston to valve clearance, thats taking into account the extra thickness of the goldcaot on top (they say it adds about .003).

I shouldn't need to flycut the pistons and I should be able to run a stock thickness HG.

That is unless I did my calcs wrong??

Everyone who i talked to with my current motor build said if yours gonna get a cam dont get a "drop in" go with one that needs flycuts or keep the stock cam. I will also add too that there are better companies out there with cams other then the ones that blow up advertising.

Ron runs that cam and has made 1200hp, I see no issue unless you wish to fail prey to another cam salesman's theories.

Everyone who i talked to with my current motor build said if yours gonna get a cam dont get a "drop in" go with one that needs flycuts or keep the stock cam. I will also add too that there are better companies out there with cams other then the ones that blow up advertising.

I think this cam could support more hp than I will ever see. The main reason I want I bigger cam is to spool quicker and lower egt's a bit. Im guessing the power gain would be minimal at best compared to a stock cam. I didn't want to run a huge high lift cam and worry about flycutting, high spring pressure and coil bind ect.. I know im going to have to replace the 60lb valve springs for probably some 165's already.

The dust pocket has to be machined to accept the larger 88/96mm cartridge, it is not as simple as contouring the housing to fit the wheel.

The dust pocket has to be machined to accept the larger 88/96mm cartridge, it is not as simple as contouring the housing to fit the wheel.

When a 1.1 housing is machined for the 88/96 wheel, should it still be considered a 1.1 housing? Serious question. Reason I ask is because my 1.1 housing required some machining for the smaller 82/92, I imagine the larger 88/96 requiring a Lot more machine work.

Last edited:
Ah that's right forgot about the cartridge...

No the AR is lower than the 1.1 it was deemed as. Basically a redneck retrofit to make the 96/88 turbine more responsive at lower mass flow.

Thanks for all the input guys! I have a pretty good idea which direction to go with the build. I'm thinking about starting a build thread? What do you think? Are you guys tired of the same old build threads? I dont think it would be much different than most out there already. I pay very close attention to detail so there would be lots of data to post, measurements and calculations ect... I intend to put in on the local dyno to see what it will do when its up and running.

Back