Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Best DD Shocks?

I just put ProComp ES9000 shocks all around and I am very disappointed. The stock shocks that were just starting to leak at 160k perform MUCH better. Especially the steering stabilizer.

Anyways, what's everyone running for a good shock? I'm not looking for QA1's since this is my daily driver and I was turned off by Fox on my 12V because they rusted and died on me after one year of use.

I'm looking at the Bilstein B8 5100 series shocks now. What's everyone's thoughts?

For reference, I drive ~75 miles a day, and 10 miles of that is down pretty bad dirt roads. I also live in MN, so salt is something I need to consider.

NOTE: The ProComp steering stabilizer does almost nothing. I can't tell a difference between having it on or off. Luckily I have a completely new front suspension on, so there's no slop for death wobble, but I'm sure this would exaggerate the problem if the truck already had it.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Bilstein's seem to be what everyone is using. I have no experience with them though. I've always replaced with Monroe or Gabriel's from Napa on other vehicles.

I am looking for shocks to put on my 03 and would like to also hear opinions.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Bilsteins are far worse quality than Fox, plus they get progressively harder as the miles stack up. If someone is happy with parts store junk over a quality shock...smh

Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Not sure what the guy above is talking about Bilstien 5100s are affordable and ride well, they are on or have been on every truck Ive owned

Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
I bought bilstein 5100's because that's what everybody said to get, first one blew in under 1000mi and none of them made it to 10k. No towing, just driving on pavement. Rancho 5000 or 7000 would be my vote.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justappumped24v View Post
Not sure what the guy above is talking about Bilstien 5100s are affordable and ride well, they are on or have been on every truck Ive owned
I've heard good things too, but mostly from people I don't think could tell the difference. You like them on your truck and haven't had issues with them leaking and rusting? Considering you're in Illinois, I'm guessing you see a similar amount of rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
I bought bilstein 5100's because that's what everybody said to get, first one blew in under 1000mi and none of them made it to 10k. No towing, just driving on pavement. Rancho 5000 or 7000 would be my vote.
I haven't ever used Rancho's and for some reason they're stuck in my head as a cheap shock that comes with lift kits.

Their RS7000 MT shocks look pretty solid. Do you have first hand experience with them?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Carli Tuned Fox 2.0s, for the money you cant beat them. Paint them black to prevent rust issues?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Love my 5100's also!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
Justappumped24v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I've heard good things too, but mostly from people I don't think could tell the difference. You like them on your truck and haven't had issues with them leaking and rusting? Considering you're in Illinois, I'm guessing you see a similar amount of rust.

I haven't ever used Rancho's and for some reason they're stuck in my head as a cheap shock that comes with lift kits.

Their RS7000 MT shocks look pretty solid. Do you have first hand experience with them?
In my opinion I felt zero difference between them and 2.0 fox shocks other than the sting in my wallet. My last set went 3 years 35,000 before salt life killed them. My dad runs them on his fleet of second gens, 3 years on most shocks will kill them in salt, from what we have experienced.
The adjustable Rancho 9000xls from my experience were also a nice shock.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
Carli Tuned Fox 2.0s, for the money you cant beat them. Paint them black to prevent rust issues?
It was actually the chrome rod that rusted out and then it cut the seal. That should be at least 3mil thick chrome, but apparently it wasn't. The body was okay. The thing that got me was the 'rebuild' cost was the same as buying new ones! I forget exactly what one's they were, but they were IFP (Internal Floating Piston).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justappumped24v View Post
In my opinion I felt zero difference between them and 2.0 fox shocks other than the sting in my wallet. My last set went 3 years 35,000 before salt life killed them. My dad runs them on his fleet of second gens, 3 years on most shocks will kill them in salt, from what we have experienced.
The adjustable Rancho 9000xls from my experience were also a nice shock.
I'm definitely not putting adjustables on this thing! ha ha I am going to have to do some homework on Rancho RS7000MT vs Bilstein B8 5100.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I haven't run the 7000's, but I've had great luck with the 5's. From what I understand the 7's were valved for heavier vehicles which seems like it would fit in well for us. I dont like my stuff to ride real soft, I get car sick if they sqoosh around too much.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Rancho's were ford's choice on FX4 trucks for how many years?

My 2010 just passed 200k with the stockers on the rear. I'm sure they aren't healthy, but they aren't dead.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Justappumped24v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post

My 2010 just passed 200k with the stockers on the rear. I'm sure they aren't healthy, but they aren't dead.

Valid point, they also get used on Chevy trucks but I can’t remember what trim package

Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I never knew Rancho's were OEM. I always thought people had 'upgraded' to them. I guess I have seen a LOT on the road.

I'll likely get the 7000's then. They do say they're made for a heavier vehicle. Although they're also $30 more a shock, so hopefully there's more involved than smaller holes in the compression valve!

I'll be doing a bit more research, but these were not even on my radar, so thanks guys!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #15
Mooner1

Name: Mooner1
Member`s Gallery
Always have had good luck with Rancho’s here on my Dodge trucks. Defiantly could tell a difference. Out of curiosity; anyone ever tries any of the Old Man Emu shocks from across the pond? On another note, while installing a set of Monroemade/Paccar branded heavy truck shocks on the front of a KWT800 day before yesterday it dawned on me that they could be made to work on a pickup. They seemed to be about the right stroke for a moderately lifted rig. Once you clipped the plastic holders on them that kept them compressed it was all one could do to compress the bastages’ to get the bolts to line up and go though. Might be worth looking into?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post

A friend of mine had a 10 fx4 as well, he sold it at 220k and it had the original ranchos. I took it to the buyer and it still drove great.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooner1 View Post
Always have had good luck with Rancho’s here on my Dodge trucks. Defiantly could tell a difference. Out of curiosity; anyone ever tries any of the Old Man Emu shocks from across the pond? On another note, while installing a set of Monroemade/Paccar branded heavy truck shocks on the front of a KWT800 day before yesterday it dawned on me that they could be made to work on a pickup. They seemed to be about the right stroke for a moderately lifted rig. Once you clipped the plastic holders on them that kept them compressed it was all one could do to compress the bastages’ to get the bolts to line up and go though. Might be worth looking into?
I had Old Man Emu shocks and coils on a ZJ I had around high school/college time. They never leaked on me in the four more years I had that vehicle. I liked them a lot, but at the same time, I don't think I knew what a good handling vehicle was back then!

Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
Best DD Shocks?

Ive got Bilsteins on my 04. Far better ride than stock. Bought some KYB Monomax for the 2nd gen a couple years ago. Been very happy with them for the ride quality and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Last edited by homewrecker; 07-20-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #19
Burn Down

Name: Burn Down
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
My Rancho 9000’s have held up great so far, just turn the adjusters every service so they don’t get seized up. I just leave them on the firmest setting as I like a more planted ride. Hard to beat for the money.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Rancho is a subdivision of Tenneco (sp?) that is a huge OEM shock and suspension builder. They are much more than just lift kits and shocks and have a ton of engineering behind them.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Closed Thread