16v ok on stock ecm?

jlibert

Any issues with a 16v battery and a stock computer? I suppose fully charged voltage on a 16v battery might be 17 or so.

probably on step down the items that need the lower voltage in order to keep the watt rating in spec...they make heat to shed the volts.

I've read up on mustang forums where guys put 16v to the stock ecm without issue. Another thing that comes to mind is when cummins guys have issues with overcharging, they don't seem to ever hurt electronics. Thanks for the links. What are cm849's going for these days?

I think Jeff dean had a little ecm voltage issues with his Dmax rail at one point and IIRC he ran 16v in it. But maybe that lbz ecm is more particular than a Cummins ecm. Who makes the Cummins ecm? Bosch?

What's the point of a 16v battery?

In a diesel racer, I don't know... but in a gasser, I believe they run a 16V system so they can still have high voltage for their ignition system without running an alternator so there is less drag/parasitic loss on the engine. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't know why you would run it on a diesel truck???:what:

We'll have to wait on JP to tell us.

Honestly I cant remember a diesel racer ever telling me he is running a 16V battery on any of the trucks or vehicles I have featured in the past...

16v will start a high compression engine much easier than a 12v. This is more of a concern when trying to get by with minimum battery size and weight. From what I've gathered, electric components will be fine with the added voltage, and the ecm may benefit from a voltage regultor when running battery only. There are 16v batteries available with a 12v post built in.

In a diesel racer, I don't know... but in a gasser, I believe they run a 16V system so they can still have high voltage for their ignition system without running an alternator so there is less drag/parasitic loss on the engine. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't know why you would run it on a diesel truck???:what:

We'll have to wait on JP to tell us.

Honestly I cant remember a diesel racer ever telling me he is running a 16V battery on any of the trucks or vehicles I have featured in the past...

In the gasser drag racing I was part of 16v just operated everything better. Injectors fired better, could actually see it open injectors a little quicker, all sensors seemed more responsive and steady on data logs. Just all around better working electronics and definitely started easier. Some cars we were running 13.6:1. Another benefit was our 16v batteries were smaller and lighter than what we could run at 12v

16v will start a high compression engine much easier than a 12v. This is more of a concern when trying to get by with minimum battery size and weight. From what I've gathered, electric components will be fine with the added voltage, and the ecm may benefit from a voltage regultor when running battery only. There are 16v batteries available with a 12v post built in.

10-4, I didn't think of that. Thanks for explaining, not just saying it was some secret squirrel stuff!:hehe::hehe::hehe:

But I remember leaving the 6V started in my Baja Bug when I converted it over to 12V when I was a kid... That thing turned over quick and easy that way!!!:rockwoot:

In the gasser drag racing I was part of 16v just operated everything better. Injectors fired better, could actually see it open injectors a little quicker, all sensors seemed more responsive and steady on data logs. Just all around better working electronics and definitely started easier. Some cars we were running 13.6:1. Another benefit was our 16v batteries were smaller and lighter than what we could run at 12v

That's what I thought, thanks for the report...

Aaron at CT Performance up in Canada tried one on their pro stock common rail Cummins years ago. They had problems and thought it was the 16volt but I'm not sure if that was the cause of the issues as it was a new build. Might want to contact Aaron.

I believe our favorite uncle greggy poo was running one on the fastest rail that never was. And FWIW the alternator fried on my Peterbilt semi and was running 20v for an unknown period of time. I realized it was bad when the battery acid ate thru the aluminum battery box from being overcharged. Truck idled noticeably smoother at 20v vs 14v the new alternator put out.

But 1200 amp?

1000+. You don't need 1200

Aaron at CT Performance up in Canada tried one on their pro stock common rail Cummins years ago. They had problems and thought it was the 16volt but I'm not sure if that was the cause of the issues as it was a new build. Might want to contact Aaron.

Thanks for the info.

I believe our favorite uncle greggy poo was running one on the fastest rail that never was. And FWIW the alternator fried on my Peterbilt semi and was running 20v for an unknown period of time. I realized it was bad when the battery acid ate thru the aluminum battery box from being overcharged. Truck idled noticeably smoother at 20v vs 14v the new alternator put out.

Greg advised me to run a voltage regulator to avoid spikes in voltage.

Back