Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
18v Cordless Impact Comparison

Im in the hunt for a decent 18v cordless impact. Looking at just getting a slip collar one instead of a dedicated 3/8 or 1/2 for now being I only want to but one due to limited income till starting my career. Looking at spending no more than 300 on one.

Been looking at Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, and DeWalts 20v.

Anyone running any of these impacts and how do you like it? Personally I'm looking at the Milwaukee with its 5 year warranty, 1400 in lbs torque, and 2200 free spin speed for 259.99 new. I know it's not able to do the big tasks but that's why I have hand tools. Needing something to run fasteners in and out and with a slip collar I can use it for about anything.

Looking for pros/cons and even more brands.

Thanks

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Had normal Milwaukee 14.4 volts for about 7 years. Switched to Dewalt Lithium Ion. Threw them in the garbage after 6 months and got a 18v Milwaukee Red Lithium Ion about 2 months ago. I've used it regularly and finally had to charge it for a second time about a week ago. My plumber buddy swears by his Makita. Run far away from the Dewalt.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
jkidd_39

Name: jkidd_39
Member`s Gallery
I have the big and little 1/2 drive impacts from Milwaukee.

I love them both. The little impact puts out 220ft.lbs. while the big one puts out 450ft.lbs.

I'd recommend a snap on impact if you can find one. talk to yout tool truck man.. alot of times they have trade ins for nothing

2005 F-350 King Ranch- Cummins CR convo in progress..
2008 F-450 CCLB - KEM tunes, Elite Studs/EGR w/ wastegate

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
12vriviera

Name: 12vriviera
Title: That Guy with that car
Member`s Gallery
I have a5 year old lithium dewalt 18v that I still beat on every day, it now sounds like a kids toy, but it works.
Yes I would buy another. In a heart beat.
On a side note, my mother burned up a milwaukee 18v on her stuff at home.. it was less than a year old.
I am a pushover
https://www.facebook.com/#!/24VRIVIERA

Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
jkidd_39

Member`s Gallery
Also, in regards to Milwaukee impacts.. go with ni cad batteries.. The M18 Lithium Ion batteries are junk. My Nicad's lasted like 3 years.. then they are $100 a piece.. My M18's lasted like 6 months..

Check out grainger in the fall. They move all there backstock for the new lines. I got this unit for $139
Amazon.com: Milwaukee 9079-22 18-Volt Ni-Cad 1/2-Inch Cordless Impact Wrench: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Milwaukee 9079-22 18-Volt Ni-Cad 1/2-Inch Cordless Impact Wrench: Home Improvement

This one for $199
Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2663-22 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2663-22 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring: Home Improvement

I bought 2 of each.. came with 2 batteries a charger and a case.

Also, what are you using these for? The little guy isn't good for lugnuts but it's nice and light for a 3/8 impact use. big guy is a beast.. use it on lugnuts on skid steers and truck.

I would look into an auction snap-on/mac 1/2 air impact if possible.. i'm seeing them going for $50-100. Everyone wants the new fancy 3/8 impacts..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Had normal Milwaukee 14.4 volts for about 7 years. Switched to Dewalt Lithium Ion. Threw them in the garbage after 6 months and got a 18v Milwaukee Red Lithium Ion about 2 months ago. I've used it regularly and finally had to charge it for a second time about a week ago. My plumber buddy swears by his Makita. Run far away from the Dewalt.
Which 18v Milwaukee one did you get Brandon?

I just found one with the smaller battery and a drill combo kit for 199.99. Thinking I can find one for around 150. The 250 one mentioned above is the biggest battery they have which I didn't notice was the only difference. I don't need a huge battery and can always upgrade later if needed. Dad has older Milwaukee tools then newer hitachi cordless and are good but just don't cut it for me.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
jkidd_39

Member`s Gallery
An Impact driver might be a great option.. That will be my next buy. Just got an amazing creeper from Mac so now I need power things

Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
Also, in regards to Milwaukee impacts.. go with ni cad batteries.. The M18 Lithium Ion batteries are junk. My Nicad's lasted like 3 years.. then they are $100 a piece.. My M18's lasted like 6 months..

I bought 2 of each.. came with 2 batteries a charger and a case.

Also, what are you using these for? The little guy isn't good for lugnuts but it's nice and light for a 3/8 impact use. big guy is a beast.. use it on lugnuts on skid steers and truck.

I would look into an auction snap-on/mac 1/2 air impact if possible.. i'm seeing them going for $50-100. Everyone wants the new fancy 3/8 impacts..
I have the air impacts already and am looking for a versatile cordless. Not wanting a dedicated 3/8 or 1/2 though for when it comes to screw and such like in interiors. Figure the 1/4 hex style bit is the way to go cause they make everything for them. I have the 3/8 and 1/2 bits already for sockets from my dads hitachi that he has.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
jkidd_39

Member`s Gallery
got ya. Impact driver might be the way to go. Cheaper, lighter and still pack a punch.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
The use I'm using it for would be to run in fasteners, bolts, screws etc. For lug nuts I have air tools and being in a shop it will be easy to use. Basically I'm wanting a driver so I can speed up the process of removing and installing taught then torquing after. Crazy ratings arent needed but I would like to get a better unit to start working with now.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
CIDraughn

Name: CIDraughn
Member`s Gallery
I dont have any experience with the Milwaukee drills at all, but I have used Dewalt, Hitachi, and Bosch. Out of my experience with them, Bosch hands down. I do a lot of greenhouse work taking them down and putting them back up from time to time, as well as general farm work and the Bosch impact with the slip collar like you want really stands out. The power it has will surprise you. It has no problem wringing off a 7/16 thread size bolt if the nut has seized. Im not sure what the inch/lbs are for them, but its somewhere around the 1200 you were talking about earlier. I don't think you will find a clear "one is better than the other and here are the facts." Everyone has their favorite brands, but mine is bosch. For what its worth, if you do go this route, get the fat pack batteries. There's nothing wrong with the slim ones, as a matter of fact they're pretty nice because they're so light, but the fat pack will last much longer.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
I did check on the Bosch and its a surprising 1550 in lbs rating. They are the most expensive of the choices too though.

Hitachi - 1180
Makita - 1300
Milwaukee - 1400
Bosch - 1550

This is all memory but that's an about on the ratings in In/Lbs for the drivers.

This is the one I was looking at for 159.99 which is dang cheap

Milwaukee 2650-21 18V Cordless M18 1-4-in Hex High Performance Impact Driver

Last edited by HightechRedneck; 05-14-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
CIDraughn

Member`s Gallery
Amazon.com: Bosch CLPK23-180 18V 2-Tool Lithium Ion Combo Kit: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Bosch CLPK23-180 18V 2-Tool Lithium Ion Combo Kit: Home Improvement

Not dead sure that this is the exact part number to the kit I have, but its pretty close. A little higher but not bad.

On edit... Don't know what price I was looking at but its quite a bit higher than what you had said.

Last edited by CIDraughn; 05-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
CIDraughn

Member`s Gallery
Amazon.com: Bosch 25618-02 18V 18V Lithium-Ion Impactor Driver: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Bosch 25618-02 18V 18V Lithium-Ion Impactor Driver: Home Improvement

This should be more like it.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
bosshogg

Name: bosshogg
Title: Running with the best...
Member`s Gallery
Dewalt with 18v nicad batteries. I have both 3/8 & 1/2 along with drills and sawzalls, couldnt be happier!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
I've been using Makita impacts for 6-7yrs. My first set of Lithium Ion batteries finally died after that same 6-7yrs!

I recently added a recip saw to the mix. I love the little things.

I would never go back to NiCad, but I will say that the Snap-On 1/2" are beasts

Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
Eventually I plan on getting a dedicated 1/2" snapon impact, but for the time being and wanting to stay cheaper due to just getting into the field I was thinking a impact driver will get me by. I'm looking into the Bosch today to see where I can find the best deal. I'm not too worried on the milwaukee though being a 5 year warrenty on the tool then a 2 year on the batteries. By that time I will be wanting to upgrade to a more expensive dedicated piece.

Anyone have experience with the new M18 line from Milwaukee?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDraughn View Post

Not dead sure that this is the exact part number to the kit I have, but its pretty close. A little higher but not bad.

On edit... Don't know what price I was looking at but its quite a bit higher than what you had said.
just found a price on the bosch and it was 219 new with a rebate for an additional two free batteries. That's a deal on the unit. It was the slimline batteries. All the prices I have been coming up with are through CPO Outlets. They have some awesome deals on tools and they carry about every brand out there.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
I have all the makita Lithium Ion tools, been using them for 5 years or so. Absolutely love them. Impact drivers are great as well as the 1/2 impact.

EATSOOT.com

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Lostnwalmart

Name: Lostnwalmart
Member`s Gallery
I bought a rayobi 1/2in impact (200ftlbs on the box) and a drill for $200 with 2 slim Li battery's, its been working the little bit I have used it.
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Anybody that would not haul a dinosaur for an orphanage is no friend of mine.
To some people it's all about money. Geez
Click the image to open in full size.

Closed Thread