NV5600 will not shift in/out of gear

Clayrf

My son was given a 2003 ram 2500 with a 5.9 and NV5609 manual transmission. The truck only has 112k miles. It was wrecked and it seemed to only be the front end/suspension .Tore off the driver tire and made a mess. Repaired all of that. However, when we were all done and went to drive it the transmission wouldn’t shift into or out of gear. I can shift it with the engine off no problem. You can start it in gear, but it lurches forward or reverse, depending on the gear and it will not come out of gear when sitting. It’s almost as if the clutch doesn’t fully disengage. We Purchased a new master/slave combo and same thing. One of those pre-bled ones. Went ahead and Bled it and same thing. We ordered up a new clutch (LUK) kit that had a brand new flywheel, pressure plate, shift fork/lever, new pivot pin, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing, and ordered another master/slave (lifetime heavy duty one from oriellly). Needless to say, it still does the same thing. We dropped that beast again, and inspected everything. Even reinstalled the factory shift lever and made sure the pivot pin didn’t come loose. Made sure the washer was under the new pivot pin as well. Still same thing. The second time we didn’t connect the driveshaft and shifted through all the gears and it seemed fine. I did notice that the transmission output shaft continuously spun, even in neutral. Don’t know if that’s normal or not. Never worked on the internals of a manual tranny. It also could have been spinning because it was still rotating from being in gear. IDK. We thought we had it resolved, but when we connected the driveshaft back up, same thing and right back to square one. I can start it in 2nd and drive down the road and shift without the clutch, but have to turn it off when I come up to a stop and start off in 2nd again. Any ideas? not looking forward to dropping for a 3rd time. ?

If a manual doesn’t have resistance against the output shaft, it’ll spin like it’s still in gear.

Have you tried making a slave cylinder rod about an 1/8” longer just to rule that out?
Take the slave cylinder shaft, grab a bolt about the same size in diameter, cut it off around an 1/8” longer and use it to see if the clutch will release. Worth a shot before dropping that transmission again..

Any chance you have the fork oriented wrong?

From the SM:

"The rear side of the release lever has one end with a raised area. This raised area goes toward the slave cylinder side of the transmission."

Did you replace the pilot bearing? If you're sure about clutch travel and the pilot is good the only other thing I can think of would be a bent input.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

trans run low on oil, and fubar the input shaft to mainshaft bearings? with it in neutral and not running, can you turn the output shaft fairly easy?

trans run low on oil, and fubar the input shaft to mainshaft bearings? with it in neutral and not running, can you turn the output shaft fairly easy?
It should still release with the clutch, though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

we had a car do that when I was a kid. ended up being the clutch disc in backwards. it would release but was pushing the disc center into the flywheel.

I apologize if I found the wrong thread but I figure you guys would have a good suggestion. I'm in the process of swapping in a remanufactured NV5600 in my 04 ram 2500 (the 48re blew up on me). I ordered from these guys https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=NV5600.. Friend recommended them to me for a remanufactured one. Anyways, I'm looking for a solid clutch setup that can handle 700whpish. Anybody in this thread got a good recommendation?

Right here. I had this happen to me even with the correct oil level. The pocket bearing welded the input to the main and essentially put the tranny in direct. I lucked out and had the e-brake on tight enough to stall it. I’m sure I had an interesting look on my face when my truck tried to drive itself away while I was clearing snow around it. LOL

Back