Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Soon to be TDI owner

Looking for a new daily, really like the idea of a TDI. Looking at something in the 06-07 range and considering an automatic (*gasp* i know), my question is who has experience with the reliability of these? I know the older TDIs you should pretty much consider the (auto) trans a maintenance item, but are the newer 6 speed autos mildly decent? Its going to stay 110% stock and be mostly peepaw driven. Prefer not to have to shift in traffic going to work, but really don't need another POS that breaks all the time lol. Thanks in advance for any insight, and sorry for the newb question.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The wiring gremlins are terrible. The BEW and BRM engine prefixes got cams that weren't sufficiently heat treated. The DSG and manual transmissions both used dual mass flywheels, and they separate, even exploding on some.

I've got 169k on my 05.5 (A5 body) and everything that you can find online about typical failures has failed on mine in the last 40-50k miles.

I would try to find an A4 body pre 05 that's in good condition. Or search for someone with repair documentation on the A5 they are selling.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
The wiring gremlins are terrible. The BEW and BRM engine prefixes got cams that weren't sufficiently heat treated. The DSG and manual transmissions both used dual mass flywheels, and they separate, even exploding on some.

I've got 169k on my 05.5 (A5 body) and everything that you can find online about typical failures has failed on mine in the last 40-50k miles.

I would try to find an A4 body pre 05 that's in good condition. Or search for someone with repair documentation on the A5 they are selling.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response, finding an MK4 manual in decent condition that the seller isn't smoking crack asking some totally absurd price has proved to be difficult, which is a big reason I was considering just getting a newer model.

Lower mile 06-07s seem to be fairly reasonably priced just concerned with not constantly dropping a trans in....would kind of kill the fuel savings lol

Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
x2 on the B7 A4. They go for a similar price and you gain leather seats, better fit/finish, and a moon roof.

Honestly though, after doing a lot of homework, I ended up going with the turbo 2.0 gas over the TDI based on cost. It would have taken a LOT of miles to make the TDI worth it, and that's assuming no maintenance costs. The 2.0TFSI is a very reliabel setup if you keep up on timing belt (4hrs every 100k) and HPFP cam follower (20min every 40k) maintenance. Plus it's more fun to drive.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Honestly though, after doing a lot of homework, I ended up going with the turbo 2.0 gas over the TDI based on cost. It would have taken a LOT of miles to make the TDI worth it, and that's assuming no maintenance costs.
Ive lightly been looking into gasoline cars lately as well, coming to a similar conclusion about TDI prices. Heated leather and sunroof are deffinite pluses, more than anything just need a cheap clean daily that doesn't break all the time. Ill look into the 2.0s.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwentzler View Post
Ive lightly been looking into gasoline cars lately as well, coming to a similar conclusion about TDI prices. Heated leather and sunroof are deffinite pluses, more than anything just need a cheap clean daily that doesn't break all the time. Ill look into the 2.0s.
I had a 2008 Audi A4 (loaded, manual 6spd, s-line, navi) for a long time and LOVED that car. It never once let me down, and maintenance was easy. They go for pretty cheap now days. I've been thinking about getting another one.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
I love my TDI I'm on my 3rd and FINALLY got my wagon I'd wanted for a few years, but sad to say I'm longing for a gas engine with remote start and automatic these days.
My little ALH wagon has quite the list of upgrades you can see below, but they can't be used to their full potential because the clutch doesn't like it. My next commuter car will probably be something like a toyota camry my mom has had them for years and had very little trouble and they aren't as expensive to maintain.

I'm acutally trying to figure out how to get my mileage up on my mega and contemplated selling my wagon, but I'll double my fuel expense a month if I did that.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 04-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
We are pretty happy with my son's Mark 4 TDI, but our Mk5 had a lot of issues that were frustrating including the cam wear, sunroof/trunk leaks and door wiring issues.

I am VERY happy with the 2015 Cruze diesel that I used to replace the 2006 TDI!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
We are pretty happy with my son's Mark 4 TDI, but our Mk5 had a lot of issues that were frustrating including the cam wear, sunroof/trunk leaks and door wiring issues.

I am VERY happy with the 2015 Cruze diesel that I used to replace the 2006 TDI!!!
I've been eyeing those new terrain diesels. Not a lot of feedback around on them and unsure of where to look for the aftermarket goodies...

Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
I've been eyeing those new terrain diesels. Not a lot of feedback around on them and unsure of where to look for the aftermarket goodies...
I haven't driven one yet, but I hear nothing but good things about the new 1.6L diesel engine! My contributing editor that drove and reviewed them for us really liked it, but he did wish it had a little more power for the more heft of the CUV compared to the lighter-weight 2nd Generation Cruze Diesel.

Nothing a little can't fix!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Bought a 2015 Passat SEL (every option imaginable) with the TDI back in November for my wife to use as a commuter. Nicest car I’ve ever owned and we absolutely love it. The transmission is the coolest part, the DSG shifts quick, my wife loves it when it drops the clutch from a dig. Instant torque and wheel spin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Its going to stay 110% stock and be mostly peepaw driven.
Awwwwww No fun in that! I drive mine 80-85 everywhere I go and it still gets 38+mpg.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
Mom bought a ‘14 Passat new. It has been reliable, and it’s a super nice car to drive. Great mileage as well. It’s going on 50,000mi I believe
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
To begin with you wont find a 07 TDI. Volkswagen discontinued the TDI after the 06 model year when the 2007 emission standards came out. Then they released the TDI again in 2009 and manufactured them up until the scandal in 2015.

I miss my TDI. I had a 2009 with the completely electronic common rail engine. Was a great car. Very spacious, very comfortable, clean, classy, was pretty peppy and great on fuel. I believe it was around 140 hp with around 240 ft-lbs of torque. I loved the torque this thing had. I miss it. I wished I had kept it and deleted it instead of selling back to VW.

As mentioned above the OH cam driven TDI engines did have issues with the cam shafts. But it is an overhead cam engine, so if you can pick one up for the right price it wouldn't be to terrible to replace the cam. That way you could get an MkV (05-06) which is much bigger interior and much nicer interior than the MKIV (98-04). I currently have a 03 MkIV with a 2.0 gas motor. Motor is a dog and the interior is so, so. I think they stepped up big time with the interiors in the MkV.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for all the info guys, but looks like the TDI purchase is going on hold for another month.....Like the intellegent human being that I am *sarcasm*, I impulse bought a CBR 600rr so yeah lol.

Last edited by wwentzler; 04-20-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #16
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Looking for a new daily, really like the idea of a TDI. Looking at something in the 06-07 range and considering an automatic (*gasp* i know), my question is who has experience with the reliability of these? I know the older TDIs you should pretty much consider the (auto) trans a maintenance item, but are the newer 6 speed autos mildly decent? Its going to stay 110% stock and be mostly peepaw driven. Prefer not to have to shift in traffic going to work, but really don't need another POS that breaks all the time lol. Thanks in advance for any insight, and sorry for the newb question.
Why not go newer, you can find the fixed cars from the emissions fiasco showing up on lots, at least that is the case here in Michigan.

I think you will find that they will be a much nicer car all around with the newer models.

I just recently bought a 2015 Golf R and the build quality and quality of materials is leaps and bounds better than my 04 GLI which was top of the line when built.

Closed Thread