Possible swap vehicle

12valve95

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have a good line on a 2008 F-250, 5.4 Gas with a 2wd ZF6.

I have a 12valve out of a 95 with a 4wd NV4500

Would it be better, cheaper, easier to swap the whole dodge drive train or put the 12valve in with the ZF6

I dont have some of your guys' fab skills so keep in mind I have to buy mounts and or adapters unless any of you guys wanna help lol.

Just looking for some direction from those that have done it.

tough question.

ZF6 is stronger, and more usable gear ranges.

For ease of install, I would stick with the nv4500

Splitting hairs on differences really.

Last edited:
Gas trucks cost more to convert than a power stroke would, there's a lot of parts you use off the power stroke setup that the gas doesn't have. Refer to biggy238 build thread

The 5.4 gas ZF6 has a smaller bell housing than the diesel trans. No one offers an adapter kit to work with the smaller ZF trans, not enough room for a clutch big enough to handle the Cummins torque.
The advantage of swapping a PS truck is the trans, radiator and inner cooler plus any mounting brackets for those items.
Love my 04 former 6.0 now 12v ZF6 swap, if doing it again I'd look for a 05-07 coil spring front truck, would have saved me the cost of swapping mine.
Not sure what's involved on the 08 and newer models.

If it's just going to be a driver keep the NV4500, otherwise I'd swap in a G56, nearly as strong as a ZF6 and would save you the price of a adapter.

My swap took longer than planned and cost more than expected but I was pretty annul about how the finished job looked.
Cone air filter has since been replaced with a better filter system.

DSC00517.jpg

You would need a very clean 5.4 truck plus a 6.4 parts truck unless you are OK with buying the parts new to make it worth while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The 5.4 gas ZF6 has a smaller bell housing than the diesel trans. No one offers an adapter kit to work with the smaller ZF trans, not enough room for a clutch big enough to handle the Cummins torque.
The advantage of swapping a PS truck is the trans, radiator and inner cooler plus any mounting brackets for those items.
Love my 04 former 6.0 now 12v ZF6 swap, if doing it again I'd look for a 05-07 coil spring front truck, would have saved me the cost of swapping mine.

If it's just going to be a driver keep the NV4500, otherwise I'd swap in a G56, nearly as strong as a ZF6 and would save you the price of a adapter.

My swap took longer than planned and cost more than expected but I was pretty annul about how the finished job looked.

DSC00517.jpg

I realized the bellhousing problem after I posted this...I believe I can swap a bellhousing but that is another negative and cost to deal with. I am thinking this just may be more trouble then its worth to start with a gasser...I just saw the ZF6 and though YES. Ive always said if I get rid of the NV4500 it would be for a ZF.

I'm doing the same swap right now, p-pump 24v with a zf6 in a 2008 ford. I kept the zf-6 as I belive its a better shifting transmission then the NV and seems to hold up better.

I have an adapter plate,flywheel and spacer for sale if your interested in it for a 12v-zf6.

DSC00517.jpg
If im not mistaken the 6.0 uses the small block pattern zf which should be the same as the 5.4

I beleive the 6.0 it the big bell. Ive got a 12/24 to 6.0 zf6 steel adaper id sell. Never been used.

Back