After 4 yrs on build it's time for a refresh!

blackmega3500

This current Suncoast comp68 build is getting tired, and think 5th is wanting to finally go.

After being beat on for 4 yrs, 2.5 of those well over 800hp and considering the weight of the truck.... a refresh has been well earned!

I'm impressed it held 4 years! How many miles on it?

Close to 40k.

It's actually looking like it's a selonoid pack that needs to be replaced as the symptoms are electrical and not mechanical. Main signs is erratic shift firmness in multiple gears, and delayed shifts, even using the select shift.

Finally got a chance to get it hooked to a scanner after was able to get it to throw a code.....(intentionally tried to make it happenl

P0871 which is the OD pressure switch rationality fault that's super common.
Also had the trans temp sensor p0714 and p0713.

Likely this while thing is linked to the trans temp sensor going out at the TSB states that following the p0714 being thrown it basically resets everything and has to do a relearn.

Going to replace the selonoid pack and see if that p0871 comes back.

If it does likely check the pump assembly, then leak test the valvebody.

I wouldn't be surprised if your O/D clutches are a little toasty too. Are you opening her up or just addressing the VB issues?

I wouldn't be surprised if your O/D clutches are a little toasty too. Are you opening her up or just addressing the VB issues?

Here's the strange thing on that, as long as I don't trigger a down shift there's zero issue. It's only during unlock any issue happens. 6th gear holds 80lbs of boost better than my tires do lol.

Not sure on my plan as of yet. Will put on a new selonoid regardless so thinking of doing that first then performing a quicklearn with the snap on. I agreed that it makes the most sense to do a rebuild now especially since there's been an updated part added to the comp68 that's currently out.

We actually measured the CVIs in OD and all were good.

Last edited:
Pretty good with those giant rollers.

20180328_185024.jpg

New tires and wheels on.

Went to a 17 from the 22.5, running 35/12.5/17.

Total weight shed................ over 400lbs!

How much more nimble does it feel of a stop now?!

It definitely wants to jump more. Still getting used to the knobby tires coming from smoothed trailer tires on the 22.5s.

One things for damn sure, it's faster..... and as ridiculous as it sounds..... the MT 35s are like clouds of heaven and I don't get thrashed around driving over a penny in the road!

RIP big heavy a$$ rollers.... you were supposed to be 100k mile tires, yet gave the ghost before 40k!

20180329_221134.jpg

Those rears alone are about 380-400lbs for 2 and torqued together on all 10 lugs at a retarded ftlbs so you do not try and seperate them!

Brake jobs will be much easier now!

Last edited:
RIP big heavy a$$ rollers.... you were supposed to be 100k mile tires, yet gave the ghost before 40k!

If you spin them as much as it sounds like then I think those tires did their job. I go through rear tires every 10-15k, 4 times the life sounds doing the same kinda driving sounds pretty reasonable.

If you spin them as much as it sounds like then I think those tires did their job. I go through rear tires every 10-15k, 4 times the life sounds doing the same kinda driving sounds pretty reasonable.

Wasn't complaining, since I know I'm hard on tires!

New solenoid pack installed and quicklearn done.... taking it easy for a bit while shifts adjust.

Fixed the crazy 1022* trans temp reading and no longer triggering any p0700 codes.

Found these little phuckers hanging out in a port under the solenoid pack....

I've read through the entire ATSG service manual, including part explosions of both the valve body, solenoid pack, and trans and can't find a single thing that looks like this...

Anyone seen something like this. All are shaped in a similar fashion, and make of either a low density plastic or rubber....

20180419_221204.jpg

New solenoid pack installed and quicklearn done.... taking it easy for a bit while shifts adjust.

Fixed the crazy 1022* trans temp reading and no longer triggering any p0700 codes.

Found these little phuckers hanging out in a port under the solenoid pack....

I've read through the entire ATSG service manual, including part explosions of both the valve body, solenoid pack, and trans and can't find a single thing that looks like this...

Anyone seen something like this. All are shaped in a similar fashion, and make of either a low density plastic or rubber....

20180419_221204.jpg

Clearly plastic mice are living in your transmission!:hehe:

Clearly plastic mice are living in your transmission!:hehe:

Right! Lol....

Just weird as the pieces have smoothed rounded edges such as a dowel of some sort.

Interesting exhaust. Is it duals? Or did you run over some truckers stack kit?:hehe:LOL

Yes duals. I got back into the diesel world back in 2014 and bought it from member Kronk on here. He shelled out some serious $$$$ to have them fabbed and installed (and there's a semi sized muffler underneath) along with the stupidly high cost of the longbed conversion. Yes they get hot. Yes I've burned myself, and you only do that once. Amp steps come out from under when doors open.

The truck gets A LOT of attention since it's not the typical all hat no cattle build. Phucking hate lifted trucks personally so it's the perfect amount of uniqueness for my liking. Plus has the speed factor to back it up, even with the added weight of the semi it ran over!:hehe:

Last edited:
Yes duals. I got back into the diesel world back in 2014 and bought it from member Kronk on here. He shelled out some serious $$$$ to have them fabbed and installed (and there's a semi sized muffler underneath) along with the stupidly high cost of the longbed conversion. Yes they get hot. Yes I've burned myself, and you only do that once. Amp steps come out from under when doors open.

The truck gets A LOT of attention since it's not the typical all hat no cattle build. Phucking hate lifted trucks personally so it's the perfect amount of uniqueness for my liking. Plus has the speed factor to back it up, even with the added weight of the semi it ran over!:hehe:

Just messing with you! :hehe: I'm trying to plan a dual 5" stainless system on my second gen duallie. Albeit a more traditional system compared to your z28 system.:hehe:

Do you have a chrome foot print gas pedal too ? :woohoo:. :hehe:

Back