He351cw over S480 Compound Turbo Setup

With proper fueling there should be close to 20mph more available air.

I sure the hell hope so. I went 11.50s all day on a single 64mm on fuel. There should be a ton left on the table. Tune tune tune!

Last edited:
The 351cw is utilizing the stock wastegate with the electric gate controller disabled so it's essentially a regular boost operated wastegate that cracks at 26 psi. I then installed a wastegate ball and spring controller in-line similar to a boost elbow setup that allows me to fine tune when the gate opens. It cracks open at about 30 psi right now and the gate is wide open from 40 psi total boost on up. With the gate wide open, total boost is now peaking at 80 psi with roughly 45 psi inter-stage coming from the S480.

The 351cw is utilizing the stock wastegate with the electric gate controller disabled so it's essentially a regular boost operated wastegate that cracks at 26 psi. I then installed a wastegate ball and spring controller in-line similar to a boost elbow setup that allows me to fine tune when the gate opens. It cracks open at about 30 psi right now and the gate is wide open from 40 psi total boost on up. With the gate wide open, total boost is now peaking at 80 psi with roughly 45 psi inter-stage coming from the S480.

Wow, I couldn't push my 78 that hard for some reason, max was maybe 40psi, with 100 total. I was way overworking the 351 lol.

Impressive

That race video made the car look silly slow.

Is this the engine you modified the piston bowls on? ...... Or is my memory jumbled and it was someone else that did that?

I was wondering why you chose to use the 1.32 AR exhaust housing? Is it just what you already had or did you pick it for a specific purpose?

Also was wonding how you routed the oil drain for the primary? Or does the engine have a Storm block? Thanks

Last edited:
I chose the 1.32 AR because it flows the best and in my opinion, to get all the HP potential out of a compound turbo setup using a small manifold turbo with an internal wastegate, the big atmosphere turbo needs to flow extremely well. I was towing at 80mph the other day into a slight head wind at a touch over 2000 engine RPM and total boost was hovering in the 15-20 psi range and interstage boost from the S480 was hovering in the 3-7 psi range. To me, that shows there is no reason to go tighter on the exhaust side for this compound turbo setup.

At full throttle, interstage boost will hit around 45-50 psi which again shows I don't need to go any tighter on the atmosphere turbo's exhaust side. I could bring interstage boost down a little with a tighter wastegate tune-up to make the small turbo work harder but it seems to make the most power as-is.

My truck is a 98' with a storm block so separate oil drains into the factory block's cast bosses, just popped out the plug and added the second drain fitting.

Cody Mertes suggested I check out your work here, and I'm actually very happy to see this setup being used. I had planned on a compound build using a 351cw and a gt4202 with a gated 1.15 a/r housing. Looking at what you're experiencing for egt I think I may want to run 5x16 and dv's instead of 14. Happy to see the 351cw flows well. Keep it up!

Cody Mertes suggested I check out your work here, and I'm actually very happy to see this setup being used. I had planned on a compound build using a 351cw and a gt4202 with a gated 1.15 a/r housing. Looking at what you're experiencing for egt I think I may want to run 5x16 and dv's instead of 14. Happy to see the 351cw flows well. Keep it up!

That is actually exactly what I'm running right now. Once the trans functions, I'll let you know how it works. I can say 1st gear is already more fun than the old 351/78 setup lol.

How well do you think this turbo setup would work with a manual Trans? NV4500

I can't give a legitimate answer as I've only ever drove one manual truck, and it was stock turbo, and vp. But if I could make an educated guess, I'd say it'd still be fun, just depends on when you want to shift and how high you want to run out the rpm's. I'm betting you could get it to spool very fast even with a manual.

Back