6.7 injectors into a 5.9 head?

Whoa, stock 6.7 tips? If not what hp rating? Being that I have the same bowl design no maching is needed correct? The 2 degree spray patter difference is no concern is it? I'm going to attempt to toss them in my 03 this weekend.

I can't wait to hear if it works for you. If it does, it will save me a ton of cash...

I can't wait to hear if it works for you. If it does, it will save me a ton of cash...

I'll be sure to keep you updated, I'm damn excited to see how my truck reacts. Once I get it figured out the head is coming off for some serious machine work, and I'm ditching all the twins piping in favor of a mid sized single and spray. Should be fun!

Sorry,Extrude hone 65% with an arson kit and dual feed line to keep. I think you would be stepping backwards and missing out on the benefits to put a 5.9l injector in a 6.7l. Like I said I run 6.7l injectors in most all of my latest CR builds.The 8 hole design along with the improved bodies makes for a great injector. Has to be the cleanest ones I have ever tried.

Extrude hone I believe cost about $330. Very nice bang for the buck! Use your brain, not your wallet!

im not sure im following? A 04.5 injector has narrower spray angle in a wider bowl. A '03 or a 6.7 has a wider spray angle in a narrower bowl. I will be putting a aftermarket forged piston in with a wide and shallow bowl similar to the 04.5. So it should not matter which injector i use, they should all spray in the bowl with out any issues? Am i correct? It will be a 6.7 bottom end with the injectors to be announced.

The issue isn't whether or not fuel is sprayed within the bowl confines - it's the direction of flow which determines the flame front's travel.

If your aftermarket pistons resemble 600 series 5.9L slugs (they have domes, right? :doh:) you should use non re-entrant style injectors, as the early CR & 6.7L bowls are designed for a re-entrant pattern injector.

Yes, the engine will run if you mix spray & bowl angles.

I try to run the 6.7 injectors on all of my builds these days 5.9 or 6.7l. I have not had a single one fail in about 2 years of service or rather 2 years of straight abuse. On the 04.5 and up guys I machine .040" off of the head to put the injector deeper in the bowl and they work fine with the piston design, hold downs and the electronics. All of the ones I have tried OHM out to the same resistance as 5.9 injectors even if the actuator is different the function is the same. They are without a doubt the cleanest performance injector I have seen. On the H2 vs. 181/210 comparison I used the 6.7l injectors on an '06 5.9l with an E.D. 66mm with an external gate. Fuel wise it had a smarty tnt-r, mp-8, and a bag of parts. It ended up making 760 I think after some tuning. And btw after the initial spoolup it was smoke free!

Well I've had a few headaches, did you use longer bolts for the 6.7 hold downs? Or just the factory ones?

Do not run these injectors until I figure out just why my motor melted down. It ran away on start up and now has no compression.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have had some injectors that had trash in them hang open in the past. I don't think it is fair to say don't use these injectors though. I have used these in a number of trucks and currently use them in my '05 with absolutely no issues. Did you have them tested prior to putting them in?

Zach

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have had some injectors that had trash in them hang open in the past. I don't think it is fair to say don't use these injectors though. I have used these in a number of trucks and currently use them in my '05 with absolutely no issues. Did you have them tested prior to putting them in?

Zach

I'm not saying not to use them, I just wanted to put the warning out there until I get mine apart and can figure out what went wrong. I just don't want another guy to have the same kind of melt down I did. With that being said I'm pretty convinced it was a turbo blow out and has nothing to do with the injectors.

Zach, have you ever put a 6.7 head on a 5.9 block?

Yes, I have put a 6.7l head on a 5.9 p-pump 24v and I have a 5.9 head on my 6.7l in my '05. XLR8R I decked the head .040 and it works really well. Truck eventually went 11.1 with those injectors fuel only. I'd say they are a major improvement although I have not tried them with OE injector protrusion.

Zach

Would the 6.7 head be worth the trouble to swap, or am I better off porting the stocker? I think I am staying around 700hp.

The 6.7 head looks similar to the '06 heads as far as port size which is a good bit better than the 03. If you can score one cheap, that is what I would do. Also I have seen less problems with the seats over the 03-04 heads over the later models.

Any news on the cause of the meltdown?

Zach

The 6.7 head looks similar to the '06 heads as far as port size which is a good bit better than the 03. If you can score one cheap, that is what I would do. Also I have seen less problems with the seats over the 03-04 heads over the later models.

Any news on the cause of the meltdown?

Zach

It's in the shop now. Head's coming off thursday and we'll see what happened.

Back