Which piston? (With a twist)

BC847

I've got to get new pistons (and a replacement block :bang).

- I have what I think is a well flowing head (195/220) that includes swirl-inducing reliefs.

UnshroudValves.jpg

I've run the head for a good while now with the stock/OEM '93 pistons (narrow/deep bowl?) and the associated 145* nozzle spray angle.

I'm pulling things apart to replace the short-block. Removing the head reveals apparent uniformity of the soot/carbon patterns of each cylinder . .

Head-As-Removed_zps8zkuku28.jpg

Typical of six . . .

Flame-Pattern_zpskbaswbkd.jpg

I'm assuming this pattern at the nozzle is a result of the swirl (typical) . . .

Interesting-Pattern_zpsrlzs5qvk.jpg

This is typical of the pistons . . .

Piston-Pattern_zpsvfxg8xvt.jpg

Clearly, there's some fuel impingement going on . . .

Flame-Impingment_zpsc0fn1uid.jpg

The engine ran strong and clean.

If I'm not mistaken, the stock/OEM '93 Dodge/Cummins run this piston (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).

1stGenPiston_zpsooraqxeo.jpg

I think I might benefit from running this piston, if only to lessen the impingement . .

6110_zpst0omrzvv.jpg

I think it'd be best to raise the C/R a little to offset those reliefs in the head (I've yet to CC them :eek:) That piston I'm looking at won't help that way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rude remarks?

Interestingly, the folks at Mahle Motorsport don't recognize any of those part numbers shown in the piston dimensions .pdf that Smokum sent me.

I've sent a copy of that .pdf to Jason Griffin of Mahle Motorsport. He's at a loss and is forwarding it to his engineer guys to see if they can make anything of it.

Looking for the 286210. (I've a phone call to Infinite Performance as well. Left a message).

Last edited:
"Hi David,

So this is a old sheet 10+ years. Those are all off-the shelf MAHLE
Aftermarket parts. Call or email them 800-223-9152 custsrv@us.mahle.com,
they should be able to convert the "old" MAHLE part numbers (286xxxx) into
current MAI PN (224-xxxx).
Or they can cross reference the Cummins numbers directly.

Kind regards,

Jason Griffin
MAHLE Engine Components USA, Inc.
MAHLE Motorsports (ENP43S1)"

Looking for the 286210. (I've a phone call to Infinite Performance as well. Left a message).

286210 crosses to 224-3525 Mahle/Clevite

Does that answer your question?

The cummins STD bore number 3802100 for the kit with rings and snap rings. Piston number

Last edited:
Back