$250 for rear axle fluid change?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Just talked to mom and she said its going to be $250 for the shop to change her rear axle fluid and replace the seal. Is there any thing special about this axle that costs this much? Is it like my Dana where I can just use rtv to seal it off? What type of fluid and how much does it take? I don't see it costing $250 unless its a pinion seal which I doubt it is.

I was about to ask about the pinion seal as well. That would add enough labor to be around the $250 mark. They might be adding friction modifier if she's got a LSD unit.

If it is the GM 14-bolt that my LB7 has there is a drain plug in the housing so the diff cover doesn't need to come off... I am thinking that the seal is either an axle seal or pinion seal... where is it leaking or ar they just trying to push some preventative maintenance on her 'cause she is a woman????

Dunno. Ill find out Friday for sure. The way she's talking it sounds like its just the diff cover. Even with friction modifier I don't see it being that expensive. Hell, synthetic fluid for both my axles is under $150.

Ya. Its got a 160k on it and the rear end fluid has never been touched. If it is I can understand $250 but she said its coming from the back so I dunno.

It was the rear diff cover. Took it to another shop and they quoted her $130 for fluid and what not. Still pricey but much better.

i bought oil for my semi to change both rear ends and the tranny. synthetic 90-140w forthe rears at 5 gal each and straight 50w synthetic for the trans (5 gal also). The 15 gal was 660$

Turns out it was the pinion seal. It was leaking on the side of the pinion and running back and making it look like it was the rear seal. Cost, $250. Still cheaper than the first shops quote for the pinion seal.

Back