compressor recirculation valves

0 Xero 0

Turbolover
Does anyone on here have experience with the aforementioned parts? Compressor bypass and blowoff valves are similar, but do not route air back into the compressor inducer. The BW EFR turbos use this technology and I'm curious why they aren't used more widely. They help combat surge and increase turbocharger durability, especially on trucks with manual transmissions. They should help minimize boost lost between shifts as well. Several companies offer blowoff valves and I suppose you could plumb them so the exhaust of the valve goes into the intake of the turbo, but a valve specifically made for recirculation might work better.

The only advantage to recirculating the air that I can see, in most cases, is that it's quieter. I have seen where it was necessary to plumb the air back in to either the inlet, or actually the exhaust, because meth injection was used and obviously spraying meth all over the hot engine in your expensive race car could pose problems.

If you want to do it, any external wastegate can be used as long as the you have the proper spring it. It has to be lighter than what you'd use in an actual wastegate application.

They work fine and they are useful in protecting the turbo, nothing more.

Until people bark a big turbo hard enough to bend the shaft, most guys don't bother.

I know a guy who hurt a big one real bad and he sure wishes he had one.

From the plumbing diagrams on the EFRs and my understanding of them I figured they'd help keep boost up better between shifts. I must have misunderstood them. The seals blew out on the last turbo I had because of the PO and myself barking it too much. I guess there aren't many applications for this though because few if any drag with a handshaker.

They work fine and they are useful in protecting the turbo, nothing more.

Until people bark a big turbo hard enough to bend the shaft, most guys don't bother.

I know a guy who hurt a big one real bad and he sure wishes he had one.

There is no throttle in diesel to cause surging when shifting, surging under load is mismatched turbo and driver stupidity, dumpvalve helps nothing.

There is no throttle in diesel to cause surging when shifting, surging under load is mismatched turbo and driver stupidity, dumpvalve helps nothing.

6.7's have Throttle bodies... Although I don't know if they work in the same way a gasser does.

Last edited:

They do help to combat barking. I don't know if you've ridden in or driven a truck with a manual in it, but barking a turbo is not hard at all...

They help keep the turbo spooled up as well. Atleast that ones I have seen when in and out of the throttle alot you notice the quicker spool up.

Here's a video where if you didnt have a BOV you would notice a laggy turbo. This is a 2876 turbo on a 800cc sled not exactly a small turbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8RKWG0IRFU

As far as them recruicalting its usally a good practice as alot of these valves are open at idle thus bypassing the airfilter if not recruicalting.

This is for gas world stuff, diesel I cant see using them unless its crazy boost and a manual transmission.

Dude, everyone going for big power is managing some level of mismatch on the bottom end.

If you never bark one.....you're not trying hard enough.... Ask the guys who have BOVs, most do like them.

I guess all the SS and PS tractors that bark are doing it wrong. Pull your head out of your backside someday, huh.

Last edited:
Dude, everyone going for big power is managing some level of mismatch on the bottom end.

If you never bark one.....you're not trying hard enough.... Ask the guys who have BOVs, most do like them.

I guess all the SS and PS tractors that bark are doing it wrong. Pull your head out of your backside someday, huh.
Yes, they are driving them wrong, pulling too low rpm. But still, dumpvalve helps nothing with that problem. It was made for gasoline engines with throttle, to prevent surge when throttle is closed, for production cars, competition cars dont use them because they cause more lag after shifting. How many PS tractors use them ?

Back