Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Commonrailracer

Name: Commonrailracer
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Borg Warner or Garrett?

I’m thinking about running a 75/76 mm single turbo. Is a Garrett ball bearing turbo worth the extra cash over a bw?

Old 10-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Average_Ass_LB7

Name: Average_Ass_LB7
Title: Big Time Small Timer
Member`s Gallery
I use to wonder why Garrett's were so expensive compared to Borg's but after going from a big Borg compound kit to a big Garrett compound kit the Garrett's absolutely take the cake.. spool up is second to none (IMO) but can't say Borg's are terrible either. If you go BW i'd at least do a modded FI one. Had good success with it

Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
I've always ran borgs. Forced inductions definitely has makes some nice units they will be getting my money next. But I've made decent power with cast wheel box borgs too. Tbh I've never had the money for garrett's

Last edited by Empty_Pockets; 10-06-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dollar for dollar, most Borg units with a proper aftermarket comp wheel will make as much...but not more power than any comparable Garrett.

If you don't have 2-3k to spend on a turbo, do what 90% of the diesel community does and run which flavor of Borg you like best.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Not much option for primarys over 88mm, gt55 where it's at. Just expensive

Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
Doesn't even have to be a ball bearing charger, I've had some good results with journal bearing Garretts. Look into the GT4202 or any variant of that, real fun charger.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
It all depends on the use. Borgs do the job on most trucks but for competition I lean towards Holset and Garrett.

North American Turbo

Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
The Garrett 83mm turbine will absolutely kill the same size BW turbine. Use at least the 87mm BW turbine on a compressor of that size.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Commonrailracer

Name: Commonrailracer
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Thank you guys for all the input. I never wanted to spend the money on a Garrett turbo, but it sounds like it is worth it. It’s probably stronger with a ball bearing center section to than the bw.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Your question is far too vague to give any type of intelligible answer. There are several instances that one may be better suited than the other and vice versa. The S400 frame covers a wide range in comparison to Garrett including the equivalent of GT42, GT45, GT47, and GT50. Only one thing is for certain, it's hard to beat the performance vs cost of an S400 frame turbocharger.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 AM   #11
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Member`s Gallery
Based on size or dimensions you can not always compare BW with Garrett. Better look @ the data sheet or flow maps and not fool you by the idiotic HP numbers Garret places on the products but OK.
Looking @ 4 main criteria like performance durability and installation and cost over this all BW comes out on top for the most of it and yes ball bearing is marginal faster in spool-up but as for compressor side they now on the same level and turbines side I leaver open for discussion. Big downside on some Garrett unit is coolant line has to run to the turbo for cooling the centre section giving massive downtime on turbo replacement and they are more sensitive than BW on bearings. As for cost and performance best deal is BW for us and our games. We sold some G25 units and they are marginal better than the GTX versions and are more popular over the BW EFR series but that manly used on things with sparkplugs.

Closed Thread