Cam question for a new guy

LeroyVT

My truck isn't exactly a competition truck, but I am trying to build it up to around 600ish hp. My question is what is a good cam to go with, or what do you guys use? I have heard good things about Hamilton cams and so far I am looking at their stage 3. My other question was if I get a cam that isn't a regrind do I need to change the tappets. I really dont want to tear in under the engine, and am hoping that I can just bolt the new cam in without doing the tappets. BTW the truck has 200k on it. Thanks. Not sure if this is the right forum.

At minimum, pull them and take a peak. If they look good you can reuse them. If you want to get a new set Mumau diesel will do you right.

Zach

Take a piece of 2" PVC pipe and cut it in half, drop the tappets into that and pull them out. Reverse to install. Or yank the engine and tip it upside down. At times, that seemed like the easier solution.

Take a piece of 2" PVC pipe and cut it in half, drop the tappets into that and pull them out. Reverse to install. Or yank the engine and tip it upside down. At times, that seemed like the easier solution.

PVC pipe did not work for me, it was too thick and the tappets wouldnt fall all the way out. Had to use a thinner metal pipe to make it work.

OD.

I used central vac. tubing, probably less than .100" thick. The stuff I got is white. The black PVC is thicker, and has a different OD. This stuff is 2" +/- .001".

I guess I will pull the tappets. I am wondering now can I go for a re-grind since I changing the tappets? So use re-grind or a regular stick? Also where did you guys get yours? Hamilton or anywhere else. I think I am going with a 181/210.

I ponied up for a billet big stick from Colt/Hamilton. Sure woke up the truck with the laggy 66 on it. No idea on mileage gains, this truck doesn't get driven very much.

Back