Non Intercooled?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
I have seen a few racing rigs running without an intercooler. What are the ups and downs of this kinda settup? I realize you would have to run a fair amount of water injection to compensate ?:kick:

basically if your other form of cooling fails then say pop to the motor... in racing you can get away with this since you are running short runs on the street you want to use something that cant fail due to a poped fuse..etc... thats why air/air or air/water intercoolers are the way to go on daily rigs

is there any difference in HP, it would take running non intercooled,

my friend is gonna start the proyect of 12v cummins in a dakota, and i think the intercooler aint gonna fit... so im wondering....

what are the differences in egts, intercoled vs non intercooled?

the more boost you run the hotter the intake charge is and the less power you make and more chance of poping something... if a air/air wont work get a water/air intercooler they are really cheap and will save you a rebuild and add hp

bubba is running an intercooler stack actually circulating ice water through a tank between charger's it's mounted in the cab.

bubba1 said:
bubba is running an intercooler stack actually circulating ice water through a tank between charger's it's mounted in the cab.

Does this have more benifits over a high flow air to air? what about the extra weight? and is that ice water mixed with an additive?

cold water over air/air would help alot but they are only still ~86% efficent at the best case.. a water to air is over ~110% efficent then through a ice box that the water lines of the w/a intercooler use and you can up it to over 120% efficent... i have used a water to air on a evo 8 with a 60-1 turbo running 31psi have 234* comp discharge temps and have 39* intake temps after the water to air intercooler on a 90* day temp at the track using a ice box that the water lines run through

we noticed a significant drop in charge air temp of a high flow air / air the extra weight is becoming a large factor now that we have lost the weight in all the other area's.

Bubba1 are you running spearco kit for the imports or did you fab something custom? pics would be cool

we fabbed up to BE coolers cut off the tanks built our on tank ends buikt tank around the rest resivor tank and water pump are mounted in the box, will hold 4 bags of cubes , ( can make you ice tea at the start line & and a spot off tea at the finish line)

bubba1 said:
we fabbed up to BE coolers cut off the tanks built our on tank ends buikt tank around the rest resivor tank and water pump are mounted in the box, will hold 4 bags of cubes , ( can make you ice tea at the start line & and a spot off tea at the finish line)

Bubba, in the name of weight on this purpose built racer, will you be switching to "chemical intercooling" in the future? :evil

looking seriously at a cry02 spray bar system now and go back to air - air that probably won't happen till I upgrade charger's:ft: :st:

Back