Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
LOGANSTANFORTH

Name: LOGANSTANFORTH
Title: WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
Member`s Gallery
Here is the ones on my gas truck. I tried to get them as long, flat and straight as possible...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #22
Kman9090

Name: Kman9090
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The shorter the better it hooks, but to short you can bend the frame.

Gilmore Diesel Performance
Sponsored by D&B Performance and Fabrication

Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #23
CGD

Name: CGD
Member`s Gallery
Ok so which is better for pulling, some say long, some say short, the majority of the trucks I see have long bars not short. What is the reasoning behind the long bars and trying to keep the bars close to the same angle as the drive shaft if you say the short ones hook better? I have helped build a set for a friends truck and I am wondering if the long bars were the right choice.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
lnimmo77

Name: lnimmo77
Title: Search never works
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGD View Post
Ok so which is better for pulling, some say long, some say short, the majority of the trucks I see have long bars not short. What is the reasoning behind the long bars and trying to keep the bars close to the same angle as the drive shaft if you say the short ones hook better? I have helped build a set for a friends truck and I am wondering if the long bars were the right choice.
The guy above you just answered that.
Special Thanks to:

Mumau Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
So I'd give you a point over Pocket here.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
XLR8R

Name: XLR8R
Title: Crew Chief
Member`s Gallery
Traction bar length is just one part of chassis/suspension tuning... short bars have lots of anti-squat (obviously good for traction), while long bars have lots of weight transfer - good for traction-limited RWD at the strip or getting a bigger bite on the track early in the hook to build more wheel speed before the pan hits the ground.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
CGD

Name: CGD
Member`s Gallery
Thank you XLR8R that is the answer I was looking for I have never actually seen any one give the pros and cons of short v. long, but I'm pretty sure someone will tell me that it has been said on here before.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
Traction bar length is just one part of chassis/suspension tuning... short bars have lots of anti-squat (obviously good for traction), while long bars have lots of weight transfer - good for traction-limited RWD at the strip or getting a bigger bite on the track early in the hook to build more wheel speed before the pan hits the ground.
The short bars are gonna bite equally as well if not better so how exactly are you gonna build more wheel speed with long bars?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #28
XLR8R

Member`s Gallery
Short bars won't transfer weight like long bars- they will only generate anti-squat based on the rear axle's weight component of traction.
When the hook starts the sled weight does not aid rear axle traction.
Long bars transfer weight from the front axle to the rear axle - more rear axle traction early in the hook helps build higher wheel speed before the pan hits.

If a truck doesn't make enough power to use the additional traction, then longer bars won't help.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #29
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
I seen your reasoning and it makes sense but most sleds when you hook to theres alot of weight on the back when you start. Also you usually want the traction on the front wheels thats why you hang weights. The shorter bars but that much more stress on the frame and get it to plant the front end down better thus the reason why you will bend the frame downward on the backend since it's trying to push the front end down. This is just my theory not trying to argue. But to short and something like this will happen.
Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #30
XLR8R

Member`s Gallery
Sure, weights on the front help counteract the leverage that the sled puts down on the lunette - and longer bars makes those weights more valuable early in the hook.

The faster you can increase the sled's momentum, the more inertia it has to keep it moving when the pan hits hard.

Shorties work fine - the 1st hook I had on our CR full-pulled with a 48" set of Street Sleeper-length traction bars (barely out of the frame's rear axle kickup)... but for most folks, if you're hooking in a money slot long bars are worth a little extra distance.

Classic photo!
Biggest problem there was the 2nd Gen channel frame with a fully welded offset bracket.
Neat to watch how higher HP trucks go a little brokeback during the tough part of the hook, before straightening back out - especially surprising to see the occasional hydroformed frame doing it.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #31
danni's cummins

Name: danni's cummins
Title: rookie girl
Member`s Gallery
Ok sence we is....

and XLR8R is on the line.

For a daily driver who want to avoid axle wrap if a girl/guy was to make a set that parallel the the drive shaft the DD ride would not be hindered?

Firgured I would try to get some in the know info
2003 QCSB, 4x4, 62/71/14 over S472 1.10a/r, Turbo Socks from Levi, SBDD clutch, Flux 3's, Floor it Stage 3.5, Glacier Diesel Power Fuel Boss with hyperdrive pulley,GDP MK2 big line,Amsoil bypass w/EABP110 Smarty TNT/TST, Isspro EV2 Full Billet 48RE with PCS controller

Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #32
Greasycreek

Name: Greasycreek
Title: HDtuner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
Short bars won't transfer weight like long bars- they will only generate anti-squat based on the rear axle's weight component of traction.
When the hook starts the sled weight does not aid rear axle traction.
Long bars transfer weight from the front axle to the rear axle - more rear axle traction early in the hook helps build higher wheel speed before the pan hits.

If a truck doesn't make enough power to use the additional traction, then longer bars won't help.
That is odd cause on a real 4WD pulling truck the front does 75+% of the hook coming out of the hole

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
XLR8R

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danni's cummins View Post
For a daily driver who want to avoid axle wrap if a girl/guy was to make a set that parallel the the drive shaft the DD ride would not be hindered?
Correct, if the traction bars are designed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasycreek View Post
That is odd cause on a real 4WD pulling truck the front does 75+% of the hook coming out of the hole
Exactly...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danni's cummins View Post
Ok sence we is....

and XLR8R is on the line.

Firgured I would try to get some in the know info
My traction Bars never hurt my DD at all and they weren't exactly parallel to the driveshaft.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #35
justinwilliamsk

Name: justinwilliamsk
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
was thinkin about building a set of trac bars and are just the top link from a tractor like used on the truck at the top of the page i was plannin on running strait up to the frame from the axle do you guys think this would put too much stress on the frame runing such a short bar they would only be installed at pulls not ran on the street and they rear suspension would be blocked solid oh and its going on a 03 gmc 25000hd

Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
That might be to short, my

Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #37
bubba2400

Name: bubba2400
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwilliamsk View Post
was thinkin about building a set of trac bars and are just the top link from a tractor like used on the truck at the top of the page i was plannin on running strait up to the frame from the axle do you guys think this would put too much stress on the frame runing such a short bar they would only be installed at pulls not ran on the street and they rear suspension would be blocked solid oh and its going on a 03 gmc 25000hd
Run the bars up to where the cab and box meet. This should right around where the frame starts to angle down. This way it will let the frame bow without interfering with what it wants to do.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
Reaper

Name: Reaper
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
A long bar will try to lift the truck even out of the hole this will hurt front traction. That is why a short bar helps plant the front and rear. The short bar doesn't put leverage on the front and take weight off the front and plants the rear harder for better traction.

If your bending the frame with short bars your frame just isn't strong enough make a brace

Closed Thread