Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > User Feedback and Suggestions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

User Feedback and Suggestions A forum for feedback and suggestions to improve the site.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
wiki comunity style board.

I have seen a few forums that have a pretty neat feature. Anytime a thread is started there is an option of opening a wiki style post after the first post. On the other forums this is the place where all the updated information is entered, so you don't have to read through page after page of posts to get to the info you want. Sure a few threads here are stickied, but you still have to read through the whole thread, including all the bs that tends to clutter stuff up. The wiki post on the other forums are editable by anyone that cares to edit them, so yes, someone could come along and put in bad info, but hey, at least its right there on the first page and easy to spot, if the info is bad it could be edited back out, or called out as bad info. The threads that made me think of this as a working option was the head stud question, its been answered lots of times, the info is there in the thread, but you need to read through a closed thread, to find the info. A wiki style post could be generated, and edited till its as good as it could get, and be there right on page one. How to do this integration? I got no clue, but seems to work in vb and other style forums.

discuss

Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Good idea, but my first thought it is would impact the community feel comp has that in a lot of ways makes it superior to other forums.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
How so? Threads would still progress as usual' but when good info is found, it gets put in the wiki. It can then get discussed and adjusted.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
displacedtexan

Member`s Gallery
Ahhhh....

Nevermind then. Carry on as original.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
snagged a good explination:

What is Thread Wiki?
Many of you have undoubtedly heard of Wikipedia - free web based encyclopedia where all content is contributed by its members. Thread Wiki is a post in a thread right after the first post for better visibility by another thread viewer, where all content is contributed by more than one SlickDeals.net user.

How does it work?
Pretty simple, really. Members have complete freedom to Create, Contribute, Control.

Create
When a new thread is created, the first post of the thread will contain a button, which you click on to create a wiki - on demand. Once a wiki is created, the second post in the thread appears, listed under the "helper" user wikipost (slickalerts' sister). The post will contain a pre-set brief information.

Contribute
Right after creation, the user who just clicked the button is taken to Edit mode - just as you would with a new post, and adds the information he or she believes is important for a thread. This information can be anything... information about the thread (Cliff Notes anybody?), a new price, a better price, a new rebate, a fillable rebate, a coupon... push your imagination.

Control
Okay, so someone added something, and you don't think it's valid, or you think you can do better? Do it. It's controlled by users, and as long as it's within forums rules - it can contain anything, really.

A few more things bound to be asked, a.k.a. The FAQ:

Q: Can I see previous contributions to Thread Wiki?
A: Absolutely. Just like with real Wiki, you can see every edit. Just click the button.

Q: Can I restore to a previous revision?
A: Yep, you sure can. When in Revisions mode, use button to restore to a previous version. While at it, you might as well contribute if you need it, as everything is done using a standard Edit dialog. One catch - you can't restore a current version, marked by a slightly different color and button.

Q: Can I delete a revision I really don't like?
A: Yes.... if you are a moderator . You can still Mod Alert a revision if you believe it's in violation of forum guidelines, just remember to mention who made it. Remember, use Mod Alert button on a Wiki Post, as you can not modalert the actual revision from the Revisions screen.

Q: Can I rep the contributor?
A: Yes, just like with any post in forums where it is enabled, you can give reputation to a contributor. One per post (regardless of how many contribution that user has made), as usual . Although you can rep 2 or more different users who contributed to Thread Wiki.

Q: What if someone tries to add/edit a Thread Wiki when I am doing it?
A: Not to worry, since all revisions are tracked separately, the information you or ther other person adds will not vanish. So if an edit happens simultaneously, you can still add it by copying it. Once a Thread Wiki is added the button will no longer be there to add, but one can Edit the Wiki Post.

Q: Can there be more than one Thread Wiki?
A: One per thread, sorry . You are free to post under your own name, however .

Q: Can I easily see what has been updated when looking at Revisions?
A: Absolutely. The new text between 2 subsequent revisions is higlighted with green color and italics. Text that has been removed is crossed out. Changes are tracked line by line. So if a line is changed, the changes will reflect that.

Q: Can anyone Create, Contribute and Control?
A: Yes, as long as you have a valid SlickDeals.net account (what? you don't have one yet? ), which is in good standing and is not under moderation. Anyone (including anonymous users) can view the post, however, just like with any other post in the forum.

Q: What about vandalism?
A: As with real wikis, vandalism can be an issue. And just with any wikis, members can fix it without having to wait for a moderator. If you see anyone posting anything inappropriate, anything in violation of forum rules, offensive, etc - feel free to edit it out, modalert the Thread Wiki post, and mention who made the offensive edit. The moderation team will be happy to assist with this. Thanks in advance. Wannabe vandals - beware, a new warning has been added for wiki abuse. Excessive abuse will result in the removal of wiki privileges.

What is Post History?
Post history is a feature, which is shared with Thread Wiki, and allows you to view your own post history using the "Revisions" button just like you would with a Thread Wiki. The only exception is that only you can view that history, unlike with Thread Wiki, which is viewed by anyone as described above. The same rules apply, there is a Revert button, the Current Version label, and the only thing absent is obviously the Thread Wiki button, since well, it's not a Wiki. We hope you put it to good use, in case something ever happens to your own post, and you need to restore changes.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
displacedtexan

Member`s Gallery
That actually sounds like a good idea....

Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
Of course it would be a comp d account not slickdeals-----

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
surprised no one else has a comment. good bad or indifferent.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
I'm pretty happy with what we got

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
I was pretty happy with what I had when I drove home from the dealership with my brand new truck...... then I dleted muffler, put on a bhaf, silencer ring fell out, cat ran away, edge box on, edge box off, quad race box on, nozzles and new turbo on, trans upgraded, bigger nozzles on, second turbo on, cam in, smarty replaced quad box, tnt r acquired, SSR UDC..... this is comp D right? stock is not enough !

Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
LuckyLegs

Name: LuckyLegs
Title: Whistling snail lover
Member`s Gallery
i like it.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
'strokeThis_'07

Name: 'strokeThis_'07
Member`s Gallery
Got a link to an example? I've heard of wiki but no clue what one is

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Buy turbo - build race truck- get bishes.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
The place I see it on is a deals website, basically a bunch of folk that post up great deals/ prices, and how to get in on the deals, use rebates, promo codes........ so I'll link ya one that demonstrates it use.

when the thread first starts, there is no wiki, just a clickable create wiki button right after the first post. Then more info gets added, other things added, more info. but all there, right on page one, no reading 100's of posts to get to it.

below is the link with a pretty good example,

Target - Black friday - July deal - Westing house 46 TV for $380 using TGTBBF10 code - Slickdeals.net

if it doesn't work, I can copy paste a couple.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
'strokeThis_'07

Name: 'strokeThis_'07
Member`s Gallery
Ah I see, so the entire thread doesn't become a wiki.

So, theoretically, a person asks about a turbo and injector combination here, someone could do the wiki with links to vendors or other threads, and the discussion continues after that...?

I like the current format, the wiki deal would take some getting used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Buy turbo - build race truck- get bishes.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, you get it, thing is also, a wiki doesn't get generated for every thread, just the ones where it can help. That way if a thread gets long, as they often do, and say Carl from crazy turbos suggests a setup on page five, the thread continues to grow, now the info that was brought forward is buried five pages deep. For the constant threads about head stud install, the same would work, wiki goes up, info about a couple different options, general pricing info, then somebody adds a picture with the tightening sequence. Another bit is added as to what power levels you should use 625's vs 400's, or even mighty head bolts. At some point the info gets so dam good that it gets stickied, yet can still grow.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
mikmaze

Member`s Gallery
I guess not a lot of folks like the idea? or just need better example of its use??

another perfect use would be a thread where a very specific question is asked. It is asked during prime time, and three pages worth of people chime in expressing interest in the answer. Then the question is answered with precision, by lets say a company rep, like brian at smarty. The reply from Brian could be put in the wiki post right there on page one, and discussion could continue, heck the answer could even be given more detail, and that added to the wiki as needed.

Last edited by mikmaze; 03-16-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Lostnwalmart

Name: Lostnwalmart
Member`s Gallery
Would never work ever wiki article would have boat hoes and tacos.... actually this a great idea!
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Anybody that would not haul a dinosaur for an orphanage is no friend of mine.
To some people it's all about money. Geez
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
seriousdiesel

Name: seriousdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart View Post
Would never work ever wiki article would have boat hoes and tacos.... actually this a great idea!
This is what I thought as well. Anyone remember the Tags .

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Goose

Name: Goose
Title: Alabama Pimpin'
Member`s Gallery
Oh man. Thread tags... LMAO!
Bulletproof Diesel

COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

R.I.P. Dex

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
So we get to modify the wiki posts........think about that.

"Before installing your suncoast/allsion, be sure remove the gerbil packaged in sparkle britches ass for shipping."

Closed Thread