Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
03BlackWidow

Name: 03BlackWidow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
dtc 2285 any help?

P2285 ICP Injector control pressure sensor circuit low ICP signal is lower than specified value

That is what my truck keeps throwing now, it still starts, runs and drive like it has for the past year but all of a sudden its decided to throw a code and engine light. My trucks had many things done to it over its life and even when it would die, not start or miss really bad it never threw an engine light.

What is usually the culprit, is it the snesor going out and leaking thru the plug or an leak thats finally throwing a code? Last summer my truck would die and crank for a few minutes before finally restarting every once in awhile and now it doesnt die but if the trucks warmed up and shutoff then immedaitly try to restarts it cranks forever but if you wait a minute or two it starts like normal. Which really sucks in a drivethru like the bank or fast food.
On a cold start the truck does miss and kinda shudder occasionally untill its warm and then its completely normal.

Im just trying to see where to check and try to find my problem with out just throwing parts or money at it.

Last edited by 03BlackWidow; 02-06-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
mdub707

Name: mdub707
Title: DamnKids Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
I just had this same issue a couple weeks ago, truck would idle rough though on start up... sometimes, other times it was fine. My dealer replaced injector #4 under warranty and issue was resolved. It came out of the blue too.

Your long start up times after the truck is warm is probably from the STC (snap to connect) fitting. Search for that, it's very common.

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08

DamnKids Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrowang View Post
The theory that the brain needs to function to sustain life was just disproven.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
strokin6L

Name: strokin6L
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
I just had this same issue a couple weeks ago, truck would idle rough though on start up... sometimes, other times it was fine. My dealer replaced injector #4 under warranty and issue was resolved. It came out of the blue too.

Your long start up times after the truck is warm is probably from the STC (snap to connect) fitting. Search for that, it's very common.
he's got an '03...the '03's and early '04's didn't have the STC fittings i think. That started in '04.5 i believe. To me sounds like the ICP sensor needs to get replaced.
2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4, SCT, 5" stacks, AFE, LIPD regulated return fuel system, hypermax fire rings, ARP's, water injection, CFM+ large mouth, Casserly 190's, spearco, fluidampr, FASS 150/95 and fuelab pump, Modded FICM(ID), TP 64mm turbo(polished compressor housing)

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
03BlackWidow

Member`s Gallery
The dealer replaced my motor a lil over a year ago i think. Would they reuse my old standpipes or would put in the newer stuff? I havent had the valvecovers off this new motor yet.

I did have a mech at work today put a genysis on my truck today after a cold start and it ran some koer test i think and nothing really came back but like already said my rough idle and long cranking time is after its been driven awhile and completely warmed up. It also said my ficm input was 13.8 and output was 47.8, so i dont think it has anything to do with it either.

I am going to change my oil tomorow night and try some of the valvoline blue if i can find it, ive been running the motorcraft oil and its got a few miles on it now. I doubt itll change my icp code but it needs done regardless.

Other then that i am gonna have him hook the scanner back up after I drive into work and its good and warm, what can i look for to if the icp sensor is going out or not? I could probably borrow the scanner if I wanted but dont know exactly what to look for or how to test it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
mdub707

Name: mdub707
Title: DamnKids Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
When mine threw the code it was P2290. Same symptoms as you're describing, except mine actually started pretty easy, but it idled very rough.

I did find this link when searching for stuff, this might help you some...

Need help with 6.0L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08

DamnKids Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrowang View Post
The theory that the brain needs to function to sustain life was just disproven.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
blowinsmoke

Name: blowinsmoke
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
9 out of 10 times its the icp sensor leaking oil through the connector into the harness, if its a 03 or early 04 engine with icp sensor back by the ipr when code p2285 is set.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
03BlackWidow

Member`s Gallery
Last night I changed my oil and fuel filters. The injectors sound a little smoother but driving it is much worse then before. From a stop its a lil rough then when the converter is locked 50-75mph at part throttle its like driving over washboard. I have a pretty new suncoast w/ the extreme rebuild kit, higher stall suncoast converter and billet input, magtec dd pan, this tranny has never given me a problem I know its good. Also now at wot it is cutting out like its on 6 cylinders or so, itll accellerate but sounds awful and doesnt go thru the rpms as quick as before.
I figured if it was a hp oil leak that new oil would be thicker and wouldnt leak as bad as old thin oil.

Today I went to the dealer and bought a new icp and harness, put it on already and it didnt seem to fix or change anything other then it maybe starts a lil better or quicker but not much. The old plug was full of oil too.

So are there any other possibilities besides a hp oil leak now? Im gonna try to get the mech at work to put the genysis on it again and try to see if an injector or somehthing pops up. I really dread thinking about tearing the turbo, intake, egr etc.. off to fix a possible o-ring but im running out of ideas and dont really want to continure driving it as bad as its gotten to be now. Also since the dealer replaced my motor recently what parts would I need to fix an oil leak at the standpipes or wherever, do they pop apart and just get new orings or what, ive never dealt with it before.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
strokin6L

Name: strokin6L
Member`s Gallery
one thing that happened to me is that an injector plug wasn't plugged into the injector harness all the way. I believe it was injector #2 and it looked like it was plugged in, but it wasn't all the way and it was running very rough and when i went to accelerate, it would shake and shutter really bad. Just check the injector plugs over and make sure they are plugged into the harness tight and that the C-clips are clipped good.
2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4, SCT, 5" stacks, AFE, LIPD regulated return fuel system, hypermax fire rings, ARP's, water injection, CFM+ large mouth, Casserly 190's, spearco, fluidampr, FASS 150/95 and fuelab pump, Modded FICM(ID), TP 64mm turbo(polished compressor housing)

Old 02-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
blowinsmoke

Name: blowinsmoke
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
possible ficm getting weak. seen this alot. needs 48 volts to fire injectors, usually will start dropping below 45 volts and creates a hard start, running rough, excessive smoke. lack power. hope this helps. just a possibility

Closed Thread