Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
The demise of 2.6?

So with all our aluminum foil hats on and ppl knows best shirts represented, let's have a mindful talk on the subject. I would to hear from other 2.6 puller on their opinions on the problems in the class. Myself with a month removed form pulling (Aka devastated driveline and wife feed up with pulling)! At first I was all for o/d ,but then after some careful thought. I would say single rear wheels, drop weight and lower hitch height would be best for the class. Otherwise there would be to much separation between 2.5 and 2.6 that no one would ever make the jump. Also besides cut tires on some, the crowd wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between 2.6 and 3.0. As far as turbos go into thinking we should lock in the turbo rules in for 2 years that we have now, but with the expectation of 3.0 smooth bore after. These are just my opinions but I think we'll all need to agree on some changes and present them to the ppl.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
stuckey_272002

Name: stuckey_272002
Title: no one special
Member`s Gallery
first thing you have to do is get people to follow the rules.
Suspension, Rear:
An OEM-style suspension is mandatory. Lowering or raising the vehicle height with suspension modifications is permitted. Traction bars and devices are permitted; they must be bolt-on only; welds are permitted for attachment to frame or axle housing. All OEM suspension mounting points must be retained and used. Sway bars, limit straps, and camber kits are permitted. All rear suspensions must use at least one working shock absorber per wheel. Airbag spring assistance is permitted; airbag compressors must be disconnected. Blocked suspension is permitted.
This is straight from the ppl rule book. there is not a 2.6 truck in the country that still has (oem) style suspension.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
08cumminssmoke

Name: 08cumminssmoke
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckey_272002 View Post
first thing you have to do is get people to follow the rules.

Suspension, Rear:

An OEM-style suspension is mandatory. Lowering or raising the vehicle height with suspension modifications is permitted. Traction bars and devices are permitted; they must be bolt-on only; welds are permitted for attachment to frame or axle housing. All OEM suspension mounting points must be retained and used. Sway bars, limit straps, and camber kits are permitted. All rear suspensions must use at least one working shock absorber per wheel. Airbag spring assistance is permitted; airbag compressors must be disconnected. Blocked suspension is permitted.

This is straight from the ppl rule book. there is not a 2.6 truck in the country that still has (oem) style suspension.

You might wanna check the rule book again, those rules are outdated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
JL Builders

Name: JL Builders
Title: On a quest for more power
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08cumminssmoke View Post
You might wanna check the rule book again, those rules are outdated..

Ya was gonna say... Pretty sure that's an old set of rules.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
stuckey_272002

Name: stuckey_272002
Title: no one special
Member`s Gallery
that's funny its from 2015 rule book.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
08cumminssmoke

Name: 08cumminssmoke
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckey_272002 View Post
that's funny its from 2015 rule book.

http://www.propulling.com/images/pdf...e_2015_Web.pdf

Page 43

Old 10-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
Big $ shops/sponsors push ppl for open driveline in 2.6 ... They really care less about common puller ... There is already a single turbo open driveline class (3.0). Why don't guys jump up run 3.0 if they are tired of driveline issues ... They should do away with 2.6 and add a 2.5 class...

Last edited by Rich dzl; 10-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Teamfreeman04

Name: Teamfreeman04
Title: Livin' the Dream
Member`s Gallery
2.6 class is a good class to keep....it is still kind of affordable, 2.5 great class to start in or that is where I started and learned quite a bit. I think bringing the weight down to 7500 and changing hitch height can work well. I do not think they should get rid of it, in my neck of the woods...people come to see both classes....but , I run in a small area and everyone comes for the joy of it, to include the pullers. Open driveline should be left at the 3.0 level...not all pulls will be able to field a 3.0 class, but can have a good 2.6 turnout from area pullers who can afford a charger but not a complete new driveline.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
94 12valve

Name: 94 12valve
Title: Kingpin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick017 View Post
So with all our aluminum foil hats on and ppl knows best shirts represented, let's have a mindful talk on the subject. I would to hear from other 2.6 puller on their opinions on the problems in the class. Myself with a month removed form pulling (Aka devastated driveline and wife feed up with pulling)! At first I was all for o/d ,but then after some careful thought. I would say single rear wheels, drop weight and lower hitch height would be best for the class. Otherwise there would be to much separation between 2.5 and 2.6 that no one would ever make the jump. Also besides cut tires on some, the crowd wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between 2.6 and 3.0. As far as turbos go into thinking we should lock in the turbo rules in for 2 years that we have now, but with the expectation of 3.0 smooth bore after. These are just my opinions but I think we'll all need to agree on some changes and present them to the ppl.
Personally I would not be surprised to see 2.6 fall away just like 2.8 did a few years ago a lot of the same rule changes that are being brought up now were brought up than as well.

IMO if 2.6 wants to stay and continue to grow the turbo rule is the only rule that needs to be addressed. Whether it be smoothbore or eliminate the gray area in the current rules whichever can prevent "Cheater" covers and is easy to tech. Than the rule is locked in place

For driveline IMO it wont matter whatever the choice may be open or factory the real problem with the class is big gains every year made by a compressor cover or wheel change.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 12valve View Post
Personally I would not be surprised to see 2.6 fall away just like 2.8 did a few years ago a lot of the same rule changes that are being brought up now were brought up than as well.

IMO if 2.6 wants to stay and continue to grow the turbo rule is the only rule that needs to be addressed. Whether it be smoothbore or eliminate the gray area in the current rules whichever can prevent "Cheater" covers and is easy to tech. Than the rule is locked in place

For driveline IMO it wont matter whatever the choice may be open or factory the real problem with the class is big gains every year made by a compressor cover or wheel change.
Simple just go back to a s400 frame only bushing class so everybody can run a bushed S480. If you want to spend some more on a fancy cover more power to you. But even then that will limit the power and cost of a turbo and make the whole class alittle more affordable. It doesn't leave a class up to who has the most money to spend on a turbo to be the winner. Almost like a box charger class but allowing any s400 variation. We need a stock driveline class. After all that's what we are are truck pullers not component competition vehicles. If I wanted to change everything and be better off I'd build a damn tractor to pull.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
pick017

Member`s Gallery
I guess my way of thinking is with less weight and single rear wheel with the power that is being made now. You could strap whatever turbo you want , but the trick would be getting the power to the ground.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
pick017

Member`s Gallery
Yep I keep leaning towards a tractor more and more.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
94 12valve

Name: 94 12valve
Title: Kingpin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
Simple just go back to a s400 frame only bushing class so everybody can run a bushed S480. If you want to spend some more on a fancy cover more power to you. But even then that will limit the power and cost of a turbo and make the whole class alittle more affordable. It doesn't leave a class up to who has the most money to spend on a turbo to be the winner. Almost like a box charger class but allowing any s400 variation. We need a stock driveline class. After all that's what we are are truck pullers not component competition vehicles. If I wanted to change everything and be better off I'd build a damn tractor to pull.
So basically back to the old 2.8 rule is what your suggesting? I think a box turbo rule with a busing would be a step is the wrong direction from what we have now ... we would end up with turbos like FPP is currently running now

Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
And I will put my HX60 guts inside an s400 shell.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Yes. I liked the 2.8 class. But in comparison s4 chargers are cheap, durable and wildly available and make enough hp for stock driveline. Plus if 2.6 becomes too much, a sub 100$ bushing down to a 2.4 or 2.3 like the farm stock tractors run which would be another cheap option to pick up a used charger from a tractor that is stepping it up. Leave the duals. You can take 500lbs I wouldn't really care either way.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #16
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes. I liked the 2.8 class. But in comparison s4 chargers are cheap, durable and wildly available and make enough hp for stock driveline. Plus if 2.6 becomes too much, a sub 100$ bushing down to a 2.4 or 2.3 like the farm stock tractors run which would be another cheap option to pick up a used charger from a tractor that is stepping it up. Leave the duals. You can take 500lbs I wouldn't really care either way.

I am curious why leave the duals?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #17
pick017

Member`s Gallery
Imo the driveline issue are what need to be resolved. If put a super stock with dot tires in a single rear wheel dot tire class we could beat them. By point it won't matter what turbo you have because traction will be the issue.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
And I will put my HX60 guts inside an s400 shell.
That's your choice but we both know you won't do it. No advantage to spending that money because your turbine wheel won't fit and the comp wheel is the same anyway. It's still cheaper and more durable. I didn't say they couldn't be built.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
pick017

Member`s Gallery
Sorry about my grammar stupid phone.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Because I am a fan of not screwing with stuff. Stop complaining that the class needs to change. If you don't like it then you change your truck. The duals is because there are factory dually a out there. Just like long wheelbase trucks. It was available option So it's legal. Don't like go to a 2.5 class.

Closed Thread