injection pump isn't going to full fuel

bmy truck has the 215 pump on it I've heard the cam in them aren't as good as the 180 pumps. Could the cam be bad?

Finally got a fuel pressure gauge installed and the fuel pressure is low. Is there a way to test the lift pump before I buy a new one. Also is there a screen on the bottom of the factory pick up tube in the tank?

Check the timing

This. Check your timing. It has been said several times. It is common for them to slip a little.

Finally got a fuel pressure gauge installed and the fuel pressure is low. Is there a way to test the lift pump before I buy a new one. Also is there a screen on the bottom of the factory pick up tube in the tank?

Change fuel filter recently? If the filter is good then you are pretty much doing the test on the lift pump by checking fuel pressure.

Oh and CHECK YOUR TIMING. If you do not have a timing kit then get one. Owning a 12 valve and not having a timing kit is something I will never do again.

Just I just put a new fuel filter on 2 weeks ago, I checked the floor mat it isn't under the pedal. I talked to a guy at schieds and he said that he doesn't think the timing slipped, I ordered the timing tools from the snap on guy Monday, and at 2500rpm it was around probly 10-15 psi

Just I just put a new fuel filter on 2 weeks ago, I checked the floor mat it isn't under the pedal. I talked to a guy at schieds and he said that he doesn't think the timing slipped, I ordered the timing tools from the snap on guy Monday, and at 2500rpm it was around probly 10-15 psi

I am in plymouth. Not all that far from warsaw. If you need any help with timing don't be afraid to give me a shout. It isn't a difficult thing to do once you've learned the concept but it can be daunting when you read the 40 different ways people go about it online.

This may to be too obvious of a place to start with an RPM related issue but what is the gov spring situation?

If it's not smoking at popping I doubt the timing slipped.
You need to check the lever on the pump. Just because the pedal hits the floor, it doesn't mean you have full throttle at the pump.

You need to check the lever on the pump. Just because the pedal hits the floor, it doesn't mean you have full throttle at the pump.

My previous 12 valve loved to slip back to a degree or two under stock. It would run perfect. It was a complete turd though when it would happen. Not sure if there was an imperfection in the "roundness" of the gear and shaft from spending 200k miles of it's life in that spot or what was going on but it would slip to the same spot every single time.

Ok I would like to have some one that has done timing before give me a hand. Not that I can't do it, it would make me feel a little better to have someone experienced give me a hand. And I know something has been done to the gov springs because before now on a free rev I could hit around 3,500, but I bought the track that way so I honestly don't know what has been done to the gov springs.

This is what you need to do first. Another thing to keep in mind is your AFC, I know you said you checked your signal line but the rubber diaphragm inside the housing may have a small hole or crack which would limit the travel of the AFC arm.

But before you look into that check the throttle linkage arm on the ppump like Snedge recommended. It needs to travel all the way to the full throttle stop screw when the pedal hits the floor.

I took the afc housing off my 98 which runs like it should and put it on my 96 and it didn't change anything I also took the afc off my 96 and put air to it off the pump to Whatch the arm move.

I am in plymouth. Not all that far from warsaw. If you need any help with timing don't be afraid to give me a shout. It isn't a difficult thing to do once you've learned the concept but it can be daunting when you read the 40 different ways people go about it online.

This may to be too obvious of a place to start with an RPM related issue but what is the gov spring situation?

I would like to have some help when I do the timing I have 2 trucks I want to advance the timing on, what's your number?

So am I, it was fun driving the pulling truck to work for a week after that it got annoying. It doesn't have very good street manners.

Back