Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Best Race/Pulling Series?

I'm wanting my company to do more diesel events this year but with the demise of NHRDA I'm not really sure what's out there anymore. I know there is the ODSS events but I've never been to any of them aside from UCC, how large of an event are they typically?

Sled pulling- Is there any decent sled pulling series that is just diesel trucks? I know there are organizations that do everything but that will be a hard sell to marketing. Anything still operating that draws decent amounts of participants/spectators?

Old 01-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
The ODSS events draw great crowds from what I have seen- as far as a truck only pulling series, you wont find one that gets Prostocks and 3.0's along with street trucks. Those guys have graduated to the big leagues.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
As mentioned, pulling is tough. Most organizations have tractor classes as well which isn't all bad except the diesel trucks generally go last and end up pulling at midnight most of the time around here.

North American Turbo

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux View Post
The ODSS events draw great crowds from what I have seen- as far as a truck only pulling series, you wont find one that gets Prostocks and 3.0's along with street trucks. Those guys have graduated to the big leagues.
Awesome, hopefully ODSS can be worked in. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
As mentioned, pulling is tough. Most organizations have tractor classes as well which isn't all bad except the diesel trucks generally go last and end up pulling at midnight most of the time around here.
Sounds like it's a side attraction and not the main event, I don't think they will go for that. Pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookCR View Post

Sounds like it's a side attraction and not the main event, I don't think they will go for that. Pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Thanks!
Actually in most places the trucks draw the bigger crowds and hold the people in their seats longer. Why alot of times they are at the end of the shows.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 01-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Actually in most places the trucks draw the bigger crowds and hold the people in their seats longer. Why alot of times they are at the end of the shows.
Until it backfires of the venue. One local pull all but killed the diesel truck classes. Brought in cotpc I think, had a pile of trucks there, then proceeded to run all the other local crap first, think over half of the trucks left by midnight, think they finally ran the truck classes about 2am. Now they might get 5-10 diesel trucks total, most just street trucks. When the people are there to see a certain class, pull it early so they're happy they came.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 01-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Until it backfires of the venue. One local pull all but killed the diesel truck classes. Brought in cotpc I think, had a pile of trucks there, then proceeded to run all the other local crap first, think over half of the trucks left by midnight, think they finally ran the truck classes about 2am. Now they might get 5-10 diesel trucks total, most just street trucks. When the people are there to see a certain class, pull it early so they're happy they came.

This. There are various reasons trucks go last but at the end of the day its ridiculous. It killed a lot of us off around here. The final straw for me was how boring it was. I sold my puller after we went to Flora, IN with it. We pulled at 2am. Got one single hook because they decided to lump all of the classes together that night since it was so late and most people left. I sat there for 6+ hours for one phukkin hook. Sold it within 2 weeks after that. We never pulled before 10pm and the majority were midnight or later. It gets real old fast.

North American Turbo

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
99GreenCummins

Name: 99GreenCummins
Title: That guy....
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
This. There are various reasons trucks go last but at the end of the day its ridiculous. It killed a lot of us off around here. The final straw for me was how boring it was. I sold my puller after we went to Flora, IN with it. We pulled at 2am. Got one single hook because they decided to lump all of the classes together that night since it was so late and most people left. I sat there for 6+ hours for one phukkin hook. Sold it within 2 weeks after that. We never pulled before 10pm and the majority were midnight or later. It gets real old fast.
Part of that goes back on organizers of event. For the pull we run, we've always finished before 1230. But I understand how it can get outta hand. If I see the sun coming up I'd rather be getting off work, not going home from truck pulling.
1999 Ram 2500,6 spd, typical mods

Old 01-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Other than NTPA events, most all other pulls I've been to in the past decade plus, the majority of the spectators are there specifically to see the diesel trucks. They should be a first half of the order class, or maybe what some do, and shuffle the order from event to event, not always burying the one people want to see in Hope's that they stick around and buy more overpriced refreshments.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Other than NTPA events, most all other pulls I've been to in the past decade plus, the majority of the spectators are there specifically to see the diesel trucks. They should be a first half of the order class, or maybe what some do, and shuffle the order from event to event, not always burying the one people want to see in Hope's that they stick around and buy more overpriced refreshments.

Not saying it's right, but it's promoter logic.

It works for bands... I know a place that regularly does the headliner first, it confuses people.

Closed Thread