Fiberglass hoods

blackmega3500

Who all out there has an aftermarket fiberglass hood? Looking for others experiences with aftermarket hoods, and heat treatment and paint options people prefer. Likely going to go the stereotypical satin or matte color and redo my grill bezel the same color.

Truck has had the oem srt-10 hood on it and the center piece flew off awhile back. Hoods still in perfect shape, and will sale pretty cheap since the oem plastic insert will cost about $250 alone.

Screenshot_20180619_085955.png

This is the one I ordered. Haggled the price down and paid $588 shipped to my door via freight.

113212-wf-01.jpg

2002-2008-dodge-ram-hellcat-look-hood-113212-16.jpg

Didn't get the 65k you were asking huh?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lol, it was 55.... and A few hagglers and ankle humpers offering mid 40s, but it has to be worth my time to sell. Serious potential buyer will see it next week, the changes keep on though.

The X6M is getting it's go faster goodies in a few weeks so at least that will take attention away from the truck.

On a side note..... seriously thinking of doing the 48re swap with the porcupine!

Lol, it was 55.... and A few hagglers and ankle humpers offering mid 40s, but it has to be worth my time to sell. Serious potential buyer will see it next week, the changes keep on though.

The X6M is getting it's go faster goodies in a few weeks so at least that will take attention away from the truck.

On a side note..... seriously thinking of doing the 48re swap with the porcupine!

Why don't you let me give you my comp built 47re out of the 12V, and you give me your RevMaxx 850 :hehe:

I looked and found they make these locking, definitely will.

Why don't you let me give you my comp built 47re out of the 12V, and you give me your RevMaxx 850 :hehe:

The only thing revmax on this truck is the sump filter billet adapter lol, it's a Suncoast comp68.

Quick question, how do you like the lighting output of your headlights? Is it scattered like other aftermarket lamps?

I put leds in them right when I got them. Being projector headlight it helps making sure it's a bright led and they're installed in the right orientation.

Frankly love these headlights and since I have daytime running lights active, it's bright enough during the day you can see the lights on from a distance. That includes the light from the ubar aswell being visible during the day.

Still have to put the hood pins on and deciding whether I lile the black plastidip which will get another coat or 2 after the hood pins, or matte wrap it.

20180703_220922.jpg

20180703_082005.jpg

Hood pins got done last week, placement couldn't have worked out better and drilled and anchored pins basically center on the frame rail between the battery box bolt locations.

Fit and snugness is just like if not better than own with the latches.

20180721_171414.jpg

Last edited:
How come you didn't put them closer to the front of the hood? Typically you use the hinge locations in the back corners, and the pin locations on the front corners to secure the hood really well. This seems like the front of your hood could still bounce around.

They do look good though.

How come you didn't put them closer to the front of the hood? Typically you use the hinge locations in the back corners, and the pin locations on the front corners to secure the hood really well. This seems like the front of your hood could still bounce around.

They do look good though.

Actually since our hoods are so wide the front lift was less of a concern than the air getting in from the sides. Since I kept the oem latch installed and it's tight I opted to pin where I did since 1. The flex than naturally happens with fiber glass, 2. Created tighter fit along edges, 3. Reduced any "wobble".

I also sprayed the plastidip on the inside where the back plate is to ensure a true weather proof seal(even though it's a vented design, I created internal water baffles and channels to guide rain water away from the engine components). Sprayed 3 coats of high temp VHT 1300-2000* heat repelling paint to protect the fiberglass on the underside of the hood.

The cool thing is with using the the heat paint on the inside, and 6 coats of plastidip the hood stays cooler to the touch than the steel one does.

Back