Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #101
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macktruckdriver View Post
Well I'm already going more air and more fuel. Took a few steps back. Pulled the trans pan to pull VB to do the mod for 2nd gear lockup and pan is full of shavings. Disassembled the "built trans" and it's basically stuck besides a billet anchor and strut otherwise than the billet converter and input. Picked up a can I'm putting in this weekend and a few other goodies.

Who did the trans?
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #102
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Lol was giving me the slicks for it like giving her new boyfriend the underwear she left at your house

Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #103
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No I have to get this setup before I can order so I know what offset to get. These are 15x10 with 4.25" offset. They cleared the factory drum by almost 2" I plan on 15x12 with about 0 offset. Still trying to find a rotor with a taller hat.

Click the image to open in full size.
Are you gonna be pulling a trailer down the track or something? lol. Seriously, why such a heavy rear??

Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #104
Macktruckdriver

Name: Macktruckdriver
Member`s Gallery
Because it's cheap, skinny, won't break and I have it. As far as the trans I texted Zach to see who did with no response. I'm assuming a shop with how every bolt has fresh yellow marks on it and ZF written on the pump assuming for Zach Faylor. If he got screwed and they didn't put in what he paid for I'd at least like him to know. Luckily I have all the parts I need to build it as needed. Had to order a few had parts as the sun shell was trashed and nothing shimmed properly.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #105
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Member`s Gallery
Did you get a different number Nick? I was a little thrown when I didn't see any previous texts from that number. I apologize if you were under the impression it was "fully built" but I laid it out in the sale ad:

95 single cab short bed 2wd - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

We rebuilt it at the shop. All clearances checked out. Obviously things change as parts wear, warp, etc...

North American Turbo

Old 05-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #106
Macktruckdriver

Member`s Gallery
No I have the same number. Did you get a new one it shows you read it? I knew it wasn't BUILT I guess I shouldn't have said that just not what I expected. It has the stock apply lever, stock front servo, stock rear serve. I thought in our conversation or when I was there buying it you said it had the steal planets but I may have misunderstood. As for the shavings the thrust washer behind the sunshell was missing so it was rubbing on the reverse drum and planet. Also that set it back so it was not fully engaged in the direct drum. I'll get pics tonight of the sunshell. Also the wire ring that holds the OD clutches in must have fell partially out during install and got smashed between the case and OD housing bending the tabs that hold it in place. BUT before anyone gets all huffy I'm not worried about, not mad at Zach nor am I expecting anything from this it's a long past done deal. I'm just glad I caught it before I started driving it a lot and racing as I've only put a few hundred miles on it at the most.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #107
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
I certainly read it but I swore I had your number saved so I flat out ignored it not knowing who it was. It should have steel planets. We did not want to run a different apply lever or servo after reading of people having issues with one of the billet servos getting stuck in the bore on one of these forums. I purchased new steel planets when we did it. If it doesn't have those then thats a mystery in itself. I believe I even put a picture of them in the build thread. May even have the originals in a box here. I am sorry to hear this man. We put a few hundred miles on it and it drove pretty darn well for the both of us so it is surprising to hear it had that much going on.

It is a deal long past but I still want to do something for you. If you find yourself needing some turbos freshened up, or a billet goodie(s) for the engine please get ahold of me and we will get you taken care of.

North American Turbo

Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #108
Macktruckdriver

Member`s Gallery
It always had a strange rattle rubbing nose in neutral that sounded like trans that was pissing me off but couldn't pin point it. It drove fine just pulled pan to do the VB and saw the parts and said well ****. Luckily I have all the billet stuff on the shelf. I ordered the lightened sunshell for the **** of it instead of robbing one out of one of my cores. I have a spare OD housing to fix that part and should be putting it back together this weekend just got the sunshell last night.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #109
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Missing washer behind the input shaft will do it. Been there once, way too easy to forget, however you will only do that ONCE. Ha!

Side note, I'm glad you guys are civil. The forum beat downs over stupid stuff like this get old. Especially when everyone else can clearly see that there is a communication error that derailed the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #110
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Its the selective washer behind the input that was missing?! I specifically bought that trans-goo crap so I could stick it to the shaft.

North American Turbo

Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #111
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Probably not the spot, but I'm with Spencer... nice to see two guys on here being gentleman about something like this. Hats off to you both.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #112
Macktruckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Its the selective washer behind the input that was missing?! I specifically bought that trans-goo crap so I could stick it to the shaft.
No the thrust washer between the sun shell and rear aluminum planet.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #113
Drasko

Name: Drasko
Member`s Gallery
If i remember right, if outs still the aluminum rear 4 pinion planet, it gets the stainless sell splined washer and no thrust bearing. The 48re does however have one there.
96 2500 ECLB 4x4 auto beater slow truck
96 3500 ECLBSW4x4 being rebuilt

Old 05-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #114
Drasko

Member`s Gallery
If outta a 47re at least

Old 05-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #115
Macktruckdriver

Member`s Gallery
It an RH and it definitely needs the thrust washer. That's why it tore up the planet and the sun shell got trashed riding on the reverse drum. Today turned into pulling the motor too.

Last edited by Macktruckdriver; 05-13-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #116
Drasko

Member`s Gallery
Ouch!

Old 05-14-2017, 02:54 AM   #117
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Member`s Gallery
On a factory 47rh 47re setup, there is a 4 pinion aluminum rear planet with built-in oil grooves/thrust surface that rides on the flat splined washer in the lower portion of the drum, there is however a 4 tabbed thrust washer that rides on top of the rear planet between it and sunshell as Macktruckdriver pointed out. If that thrust washer is missing, the aluminum rear planet will rapidly wear away against the sunshell when moving in 1st gear, 2nd gear, and reverse since the planet and shell do not move together at the same speed in those three conditions.
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #118
Macktruckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Notice the wire snap ring want in place and broke the tab off.

Nice groove wore from riding on reverse drum.

Every corner on the sunshell is beat.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #119
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
Not to derail the thread.....but I'm completely jealous, how does one learn to work on these transmissions? I only care about learning to how to work on my own 47RH's and have a donor trans. I bought a ATSG manual, but that didn't help, it's all still Chinese to me.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 05-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #120
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 LIVES View Post
Not to derail the thread.....but I'm completely jealous, how does one learn to work on these transmissions? I only care about learning to how to work on my own 47RH's and have a donor trans. I bought a ATSG manual, but that didn't help, it's all still Chinese to me.
Tear one apart, read the manual. They aren't hat complicated if you are mechanically inclined. What is sad is I have been into some transmissions rebuilt by shops and it was pretty sad. In correct parts, stock parts when aftermarket were paid for etc
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Closed Thread