Direct drum clearence 48re with 6 frictions , flat snap ring

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
I have have the pack set around .082"

I usually run 5 clutch 47 direct drums around .060"-.070" do you guys have a preferred clearence for 6 frictions ? Gpz frictions

Y no wavy?

If you can find a snap ring or reaction plate .010 or .020 thicker it would firm up the shift significantly

I usually toss the wavy ring in direct for a firmer 2-3 shift. I just wasn't sure how much extra clearence to run with an extra friction and steel. I've ran a few 5 friction direct clutches in the low 60s and it's probably close to being to tight. I've heard of .010" per friction before also or maybe it was .010" per friction and steel. The book calls for .098"-.160" with a wavy. This is my 14th build but the first time I've used 6 frictions in the direct drum.

Thanks we already bolted it up. It ended up at .078" after we played around with some snap rings and different thickness steels while trying to keep the forward clutch within spec. Hopefully that's enough. From now on I'll try to stay closer to .015" per friction.

The truck has a 64/71, 90 hp tips, smarty,Dpc triple and a fass.

Last edited:
This truck has just the servo cover , stock servo spring, 5.0 lever.

It is running a bit hotter than I like to see . It's at 190 cruising and hits 200 in town. The trans temp is matching the motor within 5*. The old trans would sit at 170 cruising. The temp outside was 30* yesterday.

We put 20 miles on it before my friend headed back home 200 miles away.

He called me when he got home and said it shuttle shifted 2-3-2-3 once.

This truck has just the servo cover , stock servo spring, 5.0 lever.

It is running a bit hotter than I like to see . It's at 190 cruising and hits 200 in town. The trans temp is matching the motor within 5*. The old trans would sit at 170 cruising. The temp outside was 30* yesterday.

We put 20 miles on it before my friend headed back home 200 miles away.

He called me when he got home and said it shuttle shifted 2-3-2-3 once.

If it has the stock water to oil cooler that is what you are gonna see. Where is the trans temp gauge at. The pan or TC discharge line?

TC discharge fluid temp at WOT depending on power can be north of 285* just so you know. Hence why changing fluid every 15-20K is the best you can do for the trans.

On the 2-3-2-3 shuttle shift.... what year truck? 05 and up or 04 and down and who's VB? If you are running a non stock TC you will see a bit more temp in the fluid most of the time. Also higher line pressure will contribute some.

Last edited:

Stock coolers

Transgo tfod

4 turns on the pressure screw

Smarty tuner with edge cts for gauges

Dpc triple - lower stall

He didn't add a probe for heat. I think it gets the reading from the transducer.

Just seemed a little odd the slipping tranny we pulled out would cruise at 170 or lower and this build is 188-200*

I lap the vb sections to try and help with cross leaks and heat.

I did not install the gold spacer in the pt housing per the Transgo instructions

It's a cable operated 48, no ttv motor.

Front band is was snugged up, backed off 1 7/8 turns, rear band 3 turns

Total endplay .037", forward pack .030", overdrive clutch .115

Before we yanked the old tranny we put a new borg hd gov solenoid in it.

The old trans had 6 months on that build so we reused the od/lu solenoids, transducer , and the new gov solenoid. The old tranny didn't have much debris in the pan. Once it started to slip he parked it hoping to keep debris to a minimum and keep the tc clean.

Well, the TC will account for the slightly higher temp.

Back off the KD cable a notch.

And what power is he making with the truck? Stock motor and turbo?

64/71/14
90 hp tips on stock injectors
Airdog
Smarty s06 I think it's called
Stock cp3

We had this same tc on the previous build . The trans shifts perfect cruising and at wot. I have the tv cable set sonit has 1/8" -3/16" play when pedal is floored

He going to pick up another temp probe for the cts. He's thinking about sticking it in the accumulator port.

No on sticking temp sensors on accumulator ports. You can damage the servos and the fluid is stagnant there.

Get a temp adapter for the discharge line.

Just a thought... I would back off the pressure screw 1 turn at a time no more than two and see how it shifts. Those PR valve springs are heavy and jack up the pressure quite a bit without doing much. 4 turns is overkill for that setup. This is my opinion of course. He is under 600 hp so you don't need to run that on kill.

Ok. He already has the trans lines spliced. What finished off the old trans was one of the factory lines coming apart where the rubber meets the metal. When we dropped the old trans last Friday it only had 4 quarts.

He's 200 miles away so I'll let him know where to place the new probe and backing off the pressure adjustment.

Bgreen776's 03 ran 10.90s with his stock 5.0 lever. I guess I'm asking for possible shift overlap with a tighter direct drum clearence and the 5.0 lever.

Is it a 100% sure thing that overlap will happen ? It didn't feel like there was any hanging between 2-3 shift. Maybe I'm not remembering what the issues with the 5.0 lever are. It's a 2-3 shift issue or 1-2 shift ?

Back