Thread sealant

Justappumped24v

Just curious what guys or gals are using to seal the bolt threads on the intake plenum bolts. To me it seems the factory puts like a red putty on the threads but after a solid day of research I can’t find a straight answer. I have as back ups Goop the Stuff snow Performance uses on the water meth kits and if chit hits the fan blue locktite, just don’t want to use it if there are better options.

In for the info, I would like to have some of that sealant they put on the Cummins bolts @ Cummins factory.......

At work (GM) I use General Motors teflon sealant for stuff like what you guys are talking about. Works very well! I’d bet the farm you can find the same kinda stuff threw anyone of the many chemical manufacturing companies out there.

Loctite thread sealant. Used it while working for Zielgler CAT I'll have to look in the morning as to what the numbers are. It's a CAT spec sealant for threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are two green liquids, 290 and 690. One is for wicking in to crevasses, the other is for large tolerance slip fits, like roller bears on a shaft.

If I can remember, I will post our spreadsheet of loctite. CAT has stopped managing their chemical products internally, it's all vendor based now. Henkel bought the loctite brand several years ago.

In my experience, green is a little short of using epoxy to put parts together.

Blue will come apart with normal tools
Red can require heat, and can destroy a small fastener (3/8" or less thread Dia) before the fastener will come loose.

Red is also good to use on pipe threads for high pressure connections, instead of using Teflon.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I was joking, I used blue locktite on the 2 studs for the horn, and Goop E9000, I used to use it at Detroit and Snow Performance uses it to seal threads, just want some of the red stuff from cummins
I do love me some red locktite though! I use it in all my head studs and injector connecting tube threAads! Lol

Last edited:
Back