Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
iker42

Name: iker42
Title: Hmm...
Member`s Gallery
Left Wheel Death Wobble

Well its happening to me. As I make a left turn at about 30-40mph, i can feel the front end get wobbly. If i hit any kind of a bump at the end of the turn it will let the front left tire wobble violently. I then have to slow to about 10mph to get it back to normal.

I just replaced the drag link thinking that was it since it was bad and now im at a loss.

What else can i do to fix this??

3500 SRW 2in leveling in the front.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
JBFarmsCummins

Name: JBFarmsCummins
Title: Georgia Diesel Mafia
Member`s Gallery
My 12 valve had death wobble and I also replaced the drag link and it helped a little bit but ultimately took the leveling springs off and put it back to factory height and it hasn't happened since.

1997 Dodge 3500 4x4. Worktruck

Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
wdimig

Name: wdimig
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
theres a slew of things that you can do to cure the death wobble, i would start by upgrading your steering linkage from the y-style to the heavy duty t-style linkage that was used on the 98-99 year model trucks, this setup inherently eliminates any possibility of what you can call bump steer, this can be felt on the highway when you go over a expansion joint, and the drag link bars, and tie rod bars are extremely large and robust, i did this setup on my truck will reccomend it to every dodge diesel owner that does not have the setup. there are some writeups on this setup over on tdr, including the one writeup i did when i installed mine. i also have added a 3rd. gen track bar and relocation bracket that is needed for the 3rd gen track bar. the advantage to the 3rd gen. track bar is that there is no tire rod end to wear out, both ends are a bolt through bushing, very solid, and should last a long time. my steering box was leaking, and had alot of slop in the shaft, i bought a 3 1/4 turn box from PSC, this along made a huge different in how the truck steers, it makes the truck feel more like a car, the steering responce is greatly improved over the 4 1/4 saginaw box that is found on most all the dodge rams. I installed a DSS steering stabilizer that should help ensure the life of this box from PSC. the DSS also ties the front of the frame together, and makes it stonger, and less flexible. I added a dual steering stabilizer kit from skyjacker that was designed for the 98-99 dodge trucks that have the t-style steering, this helped dampen the steering alot. and finally i got rid of the weak shocks all around, installed some OEM blue/yellow Bilstein shocks, i highly reccomend these shocks, they provide great ride comfort for the money. the last thing that you can upgrade that seems to fail is the stock steering shaft linkage, Borgeson makes a very stout shaft, that dwarfs the stock shaft that wears out. i hope to upgrade my stock shaft with this one from Borgeson really soon. all of what i just described has led to the best rock solid steering that i have seen or felt for the 2nd gen. dodges, almost as good as the 3rd gen. trucks. once this is all said and done, make sure you have a good alignment done on the front end. yes all of the stuff cost a little bit of $$$, but it all adds up to an awsome steering setup for your truck in the end!

Wes
2010 Ram Mega cab, Deep water pearl blue/tan two tone, Cooper ATP's, Retrosolutions 55w 4300k HID's, ARP 625's, GDP S3 intake horn/grid reloc. & air boss plate, S&B intake w. scoop, Sinister Egr del., H&S MM w. OD tuning, Dia. Eye 5" TBE, 437/963 @ 2013 Fall Brawl

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
moss765

Name: moss765
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
man i jus dumped 1400 bucks on my front end it was like one part went out after another and finally i got a whole new front end under my truck and it a champ at steerin now
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6 LBZ 200,000mi efi live w/5-way, cold air intake, egr deleted, blow-by rerouted, trans deep pan, built tranny, 3" downpipe, 5" exhaust, head studs, 68mm cheetah turbo, FASS 150gph.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Lucky Jeff

Name: Lucky Jeff
Title: Stock Sucks
Member`s Gallery
Sounds to me like your left front axle shaft u-joint has taken a dump. They like to do that when they are warn. I can feel it slightly in my Dodge, and that is what caused the death wobble in my jeep (same front end design).
02 Grand Cherokee - ummmmm?
http://www.facebook.com/JBrentson

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
PRattenbury

Name: PRattenbury
Title: Neophyte
Member`s Gallery
Check your caster setting.

If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Closed Thread