Rule Question...

Are you saying that in NADM even in ET classes an up-turned exhaust will be required? It's one thing to have fenderwell exit exhaust that is a direct shot out the side, but another thing entirely to have 12' or more of tubing length going through various bends before it exits out the side behind the rear tires. I have personally witnessed a hood stack equipped truck (even with cross bolts) injuring a spectator, but have never seen such a problem with a full exhaust-equipped truck.

I think eventually that some sort of a blanket will be mandated for our turbos by the NHRA similar to those used on top fuel and funny cars. Unfortunately I witnessed a blower explosion in the mid 70s (yes, I'm old) at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. The shrapnel hit a child and also an adult who was laid unconcious. Not a pretty sight to behold. All we can do is make our vehicles as safe as possible.

Jim

Do you remember the 1989 blower explosion that caused the ban on PSI screw superchargers in Top Alcohol Dragster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGrUKRHGR4o

I was leaning on the fence in front of the grandstands just past the starting line (too far to the right to be seen in that video). I was literally elbow to elbow with my buddy Rick, and the rotor of that blower whizzed between our heads and hit the leg of the guy in the front row of the stands. Damn near severed his leg from the looks of it, and it took several minutes to get the paramedics over there. I don't stand at that part of the track when blower cars run any more...

It's going to be kinda tough to do an upturned exhaust on my Jetta - it has dual exits (about 1-3/4" dia each) coming out of the muffler, which bend DOWN towards the ground! I suppose I could make a couple of J-bends in 1-3/4" pipe, but that is a pretty big pain for something incapable of smoking the lights or sending shrapnel out the end of the exhaust!

To all those concerend with NADM's exhaust rule I will start a thread in our forum. I dont want to keep posting stuff in NHRDA's forum. Sorry it got this far before I caught it randy.

To all those concerend with NADM's exhaust rule I will start a thread in our forum. I dont want to keep posting stuff in NHRDA's forum. Sorry it got this far before I caught it randy.

This isnt Randy posting, but ive seen this thread and didnt see any harm with the discussion of the rules:rules:, especially since it was not de-railing an event thread. No harm no foul!!!:Cheer: Dont worry about it. No sence in bickering about a thread on a forum when the question was answered and the discussion thereafter wasnt hurting anything!:tree:

Back