P-pump info - need some help

I've read most if not all the posts listed in the sticky thread on P-pumps. Have a few questions that I didn't see answered... Not looking for all the secrets revealed just a better understanding of how different pumps get rated for different flow ratings.

Also, I officially claim to know absolutely nothing about P-pumps so I apologize for any stupid questions or misidentified parts of the pump.

Are 160, 180, and 215 pumps all 12mm pumps? What physical differences are there between these pumps? different cams? different plungers? delivery valves?

What years of dodge trucks can I find any of these pumps on? only 94-98? How are these different pumps identified? Will it have the # stamped on the side?

What physical parts of the pump determine the flow rating of a pump?

My guess is: Barrel/plunger size, cam profile (lift), delivery valve, DV holder?, line size, and injector size.

If I buy a stock 180 pump and send it to a shop to be "worked over" and calibrated to XXX cc's of flow. What exactly do they do?

I understand they balance each plunger to deliver the same amount of fuel, but how? The cam lift for each plunger remains the same, the barrel size remains the same, what changes?

Based upon my reading you can have your pump calibrated to a certain flow and then tone it down some if needed (using a different plate or adjusting the plate). But you can't go the other way. So definitely have it calibrated for more flow than you need so you have room to grow.

How much pump is required for different hp levels? Can a 12mm pump support 700 or 800 hp? Or is a 13mm pump required? What hp can a 13mm pump support?

Any answers at all would help me tremendously.

Yes, all true 160,175,180,215 pumps are 12mm. The 160 & 175hp pumps have same 12mm plungers & d/v's. The 180 & 215 have same d/v's but different 12mm plungers. 215 plungers are start retard. All pumps are on 94-98 12v, bosch tag on side of pump. Calibration needs to be done by a qualified repair shop with a high HP calibration stand.

So with different plungers and delivery valves a 160 and a 215 are the same? Just trying to understand how these things work.

160 and 215 are different in many ways. The plungers,d/v's,cam,gov assy. are the main differences.

Nice talking with ya yestday Dan. I've still got alot to learn... So on a stock 215 pump, the notch in the pluger retards the timing... I take it this can be changed/addressed when you have the pump calibrated? Since most pullers would want more timing for running higher rpms?

Found these part numbers in another thread...

Smokem said:
215hp - 887 - 913
180hp - 885 - 911
175hp - 841 - 854 - 838
160hp - 841 - 854 - 838

Are plungers and barrels are maintenance item, meaning if I buy a used pump (with 100k miles on it) to be sent in and calibrated do they replace those with new parts? Or do they leave them alone if good enough?

Smokem said:
The retard notch is the emissions plunger, how is it changing static timing?

I thought it would allow fuel in barrel slightly sooner, or later I don't have my 215 apart to look at. How is it changing emmisions?

Smokem said:
It may add fill time in mid-range rack movement, but the plunger design retards fueling at max-range rack movement, this has no direct effect on static timing. The plunger design was geared toward variable fueling rates at different loads, most time emission standards lower the NOX by retarding timing.

What he said!

GOT-Torque said:
Found these part numbers in another thread...

Are plungers and barrels are maintenance item, meaning if I buy a used pump (with 100k miles on it) to be sent in and calibrated do they replace those with new parts? Or do they leave them alone if good enough?

It depends on what shape they are in, I have reused plungers and barrels many time when building pump's. But on the same note if I found one bad I would replace all of them along with the DV's because the same crap went through them.

Back