Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
r-rated diesel

Name: r-rated diesel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
68rfe how do I know if I have trans tune?

I have searched and searched and cannot find how to tell...short of calling H&S.
I bought the truck a month ago and it is a 2011 Cummins already tunes with a h&s and deleted. Guy I bought it from (dealer) didn’t know anything about it. Trans shifts and holds great but seems to shift too early for my liking. Is there a way to tell if it has a trans tune before I order one? Thanks!!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #2
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
Did they give you the tuner?

Old 07-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
if you have the tuner, go to menu>show settings and scroll to the bottom. Beside trans tuning it will say "locked" or "unlocked. If it says unlocked, you have a tune. The codes are vin specific so once it has been inputted once, it should stay there even during a retune. TO change the settings, you would need to complete a retune, and adjust the paramaters during retune as prompted.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
YoungGun

Name: YoungGun
Title: Floating in Nebraska
Member`s Gallery
Hook a scan tool up or and Edge Cts2 and watch line pressure if it goes to about 170-180 then chances are you have trans tuning.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
r-rated diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
if you have the tuner, go to menu>show settings and scroll to the bottom. Beside trans tuning it will say "locked" or "unlocked. If it says unlocked, you have a tune. The codes are vin specific so once it has been inputted once, it should stay there even during a retune. TO change the settings, you would need to complete a retune, and adjust the paramaters during retune as prompted.
Awesome thanks for the advice guys! I’ll try this tonight.

What are yalls thoughts on the trans tune? Are they worth getting? Truck is always going to stay stock fuel and air.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rated diesel View Post
Awesome thanks for the advice guys! I’ll try this tonight.

What are yalls thoughts on the trans tune? Are they worth getting? Truck is always going to stay stock fuel and air.
Its a major improvement. That is-outside of switching platforms and going with more up to date tuning.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
Maybe this is out dated but; didn't suncoast feel at one point h&s trans tuning was some of the best.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Not versed in the H&S trans tuning on your 2011 but I have a 2009 with their tuning. It was put on the truck at 17,000 miles and I just turned 162,000. I have had zero issues with the 68RFE so far. I drive 75 miles a day commuting to work and two probably on average 3-4 times a month. Loads even grossing 25-30K have been no issue yet.

Worth it. Definitely.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
r-rated diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Not versed in the H&S trans tuning on your 2011 but I have a 2009 with their tuning. It was put on the truck at 17,000 miles and I just turned 162,000. I have had zero issues with the 68RFE so far. I drive 75 miles a day commuting to work and two probably on average 3-4 times a month. Loads even grossing 25-30K have been no issue yet.

Worth it. Definitely.
That's great to hear! Did you do that separator plate/valvebody mod from BD?

Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rated diesel View Post
That's great to hear! Did you do that separator plate/valvebody mod from BD?
I bought a stock truck...installed a MiniMaxx...and loaded the OD tune. That is all that's been done in 162,000 miles except one fluid and filter change. Lots of cussing the 68 going around....but so far...mine has kept me out of the Firepunks shop so far.

Ran to the state line twice this last weekend for hay. Grossing 15K empty and 26# loaded for 700 miles total. Ambient air temp was 80-84F both days. Trans temp varied from 190 in the flatter part of the state to 210 in the hills. I don't remember the pressure readings but I had the cruise set on 80 empty and 74 loaded and never saw any numbers that concerned me.

Old picture, but same load. And I know most of you aren't looking for "towing" crap...but if it will handle that weight it should handle a few stop light drag races.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5581.jpg (559.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
This is going to sound dumb, but the 68 I had issues with was the one I didn't tow with. Had 6 of em. I think it helps it learn how to shift better. You can roll into it and hold the gear longer with some weight behind it. Doing it time after time it learns to shift that way.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
r-rated diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
I bought a stock truck...installed a MiniMaxx...and loaded the OD tune. That is all that's been done in 162,000 miles except one fluid and filter change. Lots of cussing the 68 going around....but so far...mine has kept me out of the Firepunks shop so far.

Ran to the state line twice this last weekend for hay. Grossing 15K empty and 26# loaded for 700 miles total. Ambient air temp was 80-84F both days. Trans temp varied from 190 in the flatter part of the state to 210 in the hills. I don't remember the pressure readings but I had the cruise set on 80 empty and 74 loaded and never saw any numbers that concerned me.

Old picture, but same load. And I know most of you aren't looking for "towing" crap...but if it will handle that weight it should handle a few stop light drag races.

Click the image to open in full size.
I’m glad you’ve had great luck! Makes me feel better haha. All I do with mine is drive it like a grandpa on the weekends and tow 10,000ish a few times a month.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
The H&S OD trans tune is pretty great and shifts with durability and performance in mind over comfortability, and emissions.

My only two gripes are:
1) 4th and 5th gear TC lock-up is too aggressive at very light throttle and will buck the whole truck a little bit. I've had passengers give me a look like, "Is that normal?".
2) Below 32deg F, and below 65mph, it will do a sort of studder where it feels like it goes into neutral for just a 1/10th second. I have logged damn near everything and no parameters seem to change during this event (like throttle or fuel pressure requested). It just annoying.

Almost any aftermarket trans tune you get is based on the H&S tune. So they also exhibit this issue. And for reference, I've seen these things happen in everything from a 2010 w/ H&S OD tune, to a 2016 dually with M3GA trans and Kory Willis tune. And various trucks in between.

It definitely makes pulling my 5th wheel a lot nicer and most daily driving for that matter.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
My only issue is that when backing up sometime, when I let off the throttle, it will go into this bucking routine until I brake and stop it. I never blamed it on the OD tuning...by who knows.

Closed Thread